Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Review of JWT TT at Firebird East track

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 09:36 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm that is wierd. I usually shift around 5500 rpm because there is plenty of power before leading up to that, and shifting earlier keeps the heat down a little more and I feel safer not reving up to redline with F/I even though my car is very safe at 14psi. Our power bands are going to be completely different though since we have differen cams and different compression ratio.

Everything here is good. I just got back from VRT a couple hours ago from picking up my newly supercharged G35 . The Stillen SC is a great option for a daily driver. The car should have come with that much power from the factory.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:53 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by knight_white99
Hi Mike, how are things in Lost Wages? Congrats on the Modified Mag feature!

The tank had pleny of gas, about 1/2 full at that point. That's why I couldn't understand it. And it happened on the straights. Felt like it was stumbling - symptoms of either lack of gas or spark. Didn't make sense. But it cleared up on the drive home. Weird.

But you're right, the car sucks gas like a pig now! I used over 1/4 tank in one 30 min. session. LOL...

Does your car go flat at about 5K rpm, then pick up again about 6K rpm?
We might need to close the gap on the plugs. Sounds like Spark is getting blown out under WOT. I will check the current gap and make my suggestions ASAP.

Or

What does the A/F say, RICH? at WOT. IF that is the case it is definitely the Plugs.

Looks Great Steve.

M
Old 05-09-2006, 03:15 PM
knight_white99

Hi Michael,

Yes, A/F shows VERY rich at WOT. Needle is almost pegging the meter in the green.

Is there any tuning that we can do to help that flat spot between 5K to 6K rpm? (I know my setup is a little different from others with my Nismo cams and Crawford plenum.) I still haven't seen the dyno curve for my motor yet.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:48 PM
mraturbo
Banned

Hi Michael,

Yes, A/F shows VERY rich at WOT. Needle is almost pegging the meter in the green.

Is there any tuning that we can do to help that flat spot between 5K to 6K rpm? (I know my setup is a little different from others with my Nismo cams and Crawford plenum.) I still haven't seen the dyno curve for my motor yet.

Thanks.
I suggest we retune with attention to that spot.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:05 PM
knight_white99

Okay, great, Michael. Thanks.

It will be a few weeks at least until I am able to make it over to San Diego again. Unless you want to fly over to PHX and use a local dyno. I'll pay your plane ticket.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:26 AM
RKnight

Steve: car looks good. We talked about your brakes at Cal Speedway a while back. So did you go with this new brake set-up before you ever got the Stop Techs installed on the rears? Coming back out to the Speedway next weekend? I know some of the VRT guys are going to be there.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:04 AM
knight_white99

Thanks, RKnight. I ended up getting sponsored by Rotora, so I just changed over to them directly. Never had Stop Techs on the rear. So far, the Rotoras are great.

I will not be able to go to Cal Speedway since I am going to the Nevada Open Road Challenge (check out www.sscc.us) that weekend. Hope to get there (or another track) with the other VRT guys again soon (since I guess you could call me one of the "VRT guys" now too).
Old 05-16-2006, 09:20 AM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe temperature related? The oil temp got up to about 270 deg. F toward the end of the session - that is the highest that I have seen it go.
Are you running an oil cooler? Those are pretty high oil temps and will only rise as you push the car to 100%.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:06 PM
knight_white99

Yes, I am running a Setrab oil cooler and a larger, thicker PWR radiator. I figured I would have to have both of those living in Arizona. I had also read the article in Road and Track's SPEED magazine that talked about the Axis JWT TT 350Z that reach oil temps of 300 degrees after just a few laps. They didn't say if the Axis car had an oil cooler, but I think that they did not (the standard JWT TT kit doesn't come with one).

I figured that if I only reached 270F after 30 track minutes in 90F degree heat, that was pretty good. I am sure that it would have gotten even higher if I didn't have the oil cooler. Rarely do I ever run over 30 minutes at a time though at any track event.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:48 PM
RKnight

When I looked at a VRT 350Z at the Stillen Open house and saw how the intercooler completely fills the front grill area, I wondered to myself if the radiator or an oil cooler could get enough air to keep the engine temps in check.