Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

350Z as a track car

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 11:22 AM
SuperKool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z as a track car

OK, I'm thinking about getting a 350Z.
I'll be tracking the car often, and using it for instructional purposes at my open track events.
I'm not looking to turn the car into some great track car with tons of upgrades, but rather keeping it close to stock form. All I need is a good track car that I can through some R-Comp tires on a have decent handling and power at the track.

What's the best model to get? I was thinking about the enthusiast model since it has a limited slip and I really don't need the tracktioncontrol or VDC. Also I don't what to pay extra for the other stuff that comes with the track model.

I just need to know form others experiences about how you like this car for use at open track days and HPDE's. Any comments (good or bad) are appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:36 AM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hah ^ I think you answered your own question.

Enthusiast looks like the best model for what you're looking for. Just turn VDC off. Are you going used? or new?

An optimal setup would be a Base 03-05 (lightest Z cars). An aftermarket LSD and some upgraded brake pads, lines and fluid. Put some of that money you saved into light suspension (tires, springs, sways and dampers). You'd have a pretty solid track car.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:49 AM
MoodDude

Z is a pretty heavy car and has problem with fuel starvation in right hand turns with less than 1/4 tank. But, the Z handles better than all the magazines have given credit to her.
I would get an 05 base model, upgrade the brakes, put a LSD in her. For the suspension, the weekest link is the lack of camber adjustment, so buy some aftermarket A-Arms. That would be all that is required to make it a fun track car, yet, if you are little more agressive, start getting rid of all those stupid heavy plastic pieces on the inside. And on the Z they snap on and off really easy!
Now if you want to start going faster around the corners just get R-Compound tires and add some adjustable sways. Depending on your budget, the next thing to get is coilovers.
The nicest thing about the Z is there is so many aftermarket parts available for her, that you can find "used" parts off of other peoples car in new condition for really cheap. Yet, since the Z is still a new car, not many Z's in the junk yard yet to go get parts off of. That is why you see so many older cars as track cars, since replacement parts are only a junkyard away!
Old 06-21-2006, 11:59 AM
ANXIOUZ

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
An optimal setup would be a Base 03-05 (lightest Z cars). An aftermarket LSD and some upgraded brake pads, lines and fluid. Put some of that money you saved into light suspension (tires, springs, sways and dampers). You'd have a pretty solid track car.
+1. Get a Base, put an LSD in and then upgrade brakes or whatever else you want.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Mellowman

+1 for the enth
Old 06-21-2006, 12:17 PM
John

...or buy my track model. Already prepped, proven, and extremely capable of going fast. Plus I'll be towing it out your way in a few months anyways...

As much as I love my car and would love to race it in T2, I'd best be off in a racecar of another sort in a series that's quasi-affordable (T2 is not affordable).

But to answer your question, I'd recommend sticking with a track model, as the OEM Brembos are quite impressive if you use the right race pad, especially for the amount of power that the car puts out. Agreed on the aftermarket diff as the OEM viscous unit simply doesn't get the job done.

Last edited by John; 06-21-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:35 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

I love the 350Z as a track car. It may not be the best on the track out of the box, but it really is fun to drive and very well balanced from the factory.

Heres what I would do (in order of importance) if I were you...

- Base model Z 6MT of course
- ATE Super Blue brake fluid
- Quaife LSD (Its more streetable than the Nismo)
- Tokico Illumia shocks
- Eibach Sportline Springs (Not Pro Kit)
- Adjustable sway bars
- Nismo LMGT4 Wheels 18" x 9.5" +30 all around
- 285/30/18 R-Compound Tires all around
- AP Racing BBK

That to me is the ultimate balance between performance, budget, quality, and streetability. The BBK could possible wait a little bit, but in the meantime upgrade the stock pads, fluids, and lines. Then when you get to the point where that just isn't cutting it anymore, move to the APs. For the stock brakes I would suggest Cobalt Friction GT-Sport pads which I found to be great for occasional track use, low dust, and low noise. If you want to step it up a notch on the stock brakes, use the Cobalt Friction Spec VR pads on the front and GT-Sport pads on the rear.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:15 PM
JP350Z2004

I bought an enthusiast thinking it would be cheaper to upgrade the brakes and wheels. Have you priced lightweight forged wheels and front/rear big brake kits lately? I'm thinking the Track might have been a better deal.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Nano

One of the foremost european driving schools has a fleet of 350z for driver education. As far as I know, this is the only driving school in europe with TUV certification.

http://www.drivingcamp.it/en/e.html
Old 06-21-2006, 06:52 PM
SuperKool

Thanks for the reply guys.
I need to figure out what would be the best model to get now.
Some say the Track model is the way to go, but a lot of you feel the base with some minor upgrades is really the best bet.

If I get a used one, what year is best. I hear there are problems with up to the 04 model, so maybe an 05 or 06 is what I should be looking at.
I was thinking of a new one, but if the price is right, an 05 would work too.

I have driven a stock 06 base model on the track and I was surprised the car handled as well as it did with nothing added to it. It didn't feel as heavy as I thought and the power was good. Not super fast, but enough to have some fun with. For some reason I really like this car. And I come from driving an S2000. A much lighter and nimbler car. You would think that I wouldn't like the Z because it's such an opposite of the S2000, but after driving one hard on the track, it really isn't that much different from my S.
I do think the car gets a bad rep from being a bit on the porky side, but I like it.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:17 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

If you are buying used, go for an '03 to save money. The only problems that I know of on the '03s are tire feathering and a recall on the fuel vapor hoses. The fuel hose problem can be fixed at the dealership if it hasn't already and the tire feathering isn't an issue because you will be tracking the car and most likely getting camber adjustable parts anyway.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:24 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperKool
OK, I'm thinking about getting a 350Z.
I'll be tracking the car often, and using it for instructional purposes at my open track events.
Will YOU be the instructor? I'm trying to gauge your experience.

For an experienced and/or serious track junky, the base brake system won't cut it. You will need either a Brembo equiped Z (Track or GT) or an aftermarket BBK.

With these and proper race pads, you'll be good to go. The suspension is a bit soft for R-compounds, but still manageable.

Ah and a louder muffler, just cuz'
Old 06-22-2006, 03:25 AM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nano
One of the foremost european driving schools has a fleet of 350z for driver education. As far as I know, this is the only driving school in europe with TUV certification.

http://www.drivingcamp.it/en/e.html
Been there ! aha

Hey Nano, let me know if you want to take a class with them. My test driver buddy is also an instructor for them. I'd set you up
Old 06-22-2006, 04:30 AM
John

Thanks for the reply guys.
I need to figure out what would be the best model to get now.
Some say the Track model is the way to go, but a lot of you feel the base with some minor upgrades is really the best bet.

If I get a used one, what year is best. I hear there are problems with up to the 04 model, so maybe an 05 or 06 is what I should be looking at.

I have driven a stock 06 base model on the track and I was surprised the car handled as well as it did with nothing added to it. It didn't feel as heavy as I thought and the power was good. Not super fast, but enough to have some fun with. For some reason I really like this car. And I come from driving an S2000. A much lighter and nimbler car. You would think that I wouldn't like the Z because it's such an opposite of the S2000, but after driving one hard on the track, it really isn't that much different from my S.
I do think the car gets a bad rep from being a bit on the porky side, but I like it.
The early models did have two significant problems, tire feathering and the tranny. If you do a buy a used one (and one that is track-prepared), you will likely find one that has a different suspension and thus has eradicated the tire feathering issue. Most other early Z's have already had their tranny replaced with a newer version, so the current risk of getting a defunct one is low.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:32 AM
C Ray Z

Default The Track is the best starting Point

I have to agree with John. I started with the Touring model and have now completely moded the suspension, drive train, and brakes.

EVO sways
EVO camber arms and rear struts
Wilwood 6pot breaks
T2 springs and links
Koni SA shocks
17x9 wheels with V710 275's tires
Nismo LSD,
3.9 rear gear
Nismo flywheel and clutch
Sparco Drivers seat
Custom roll cage
NTech brake ducts for front brake cooling

This still my daily driver but short trips to and from work. I club race it and with the 3.9 gear it is a lot quicker than before.

Just wanted to share my experiences
Old 06-22-2006, 05:59 AM
iceburns288

If you want a good track car, it's my opinion that you should go somewhere else. The Z is a great car and it's really balanced and it does handle well, but its weight brings about so many problems (mainly brakes).

Buying a used Spec Miata would be cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:22 AM
ANXIOUZ

As an FYI, the 06 models gained like 200lbs (someone correct me if I'm wrong about the figure) so my recommendation would be an 05 Track since it has the 300HP higher-redline engine, lighter rims, Brembos, and is only heavy (as opposed to heavier). All you'd have to do initially would be suspension.

But if you're going to have some money to put into the car, an 03/04 would be fine too. You can save several grand and still find a nice older model.

The newer the Z the fewer problems it is likely to have since Nissan slowly addressed some things over the years. However, I have an 03 Track and haven't had any serious issues like some people have.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:42 AM
SuperKool

This is great. I had no idea I'd get so much feed back.
I don't know if you guys made my plans for a Z easier or more difficult!
I do think I'll get one as the kind of use I'll need it for is good for the driving school I use it for, the track time I need for myself and for the moderate amount of normal street driving.

This won't be my only track car so I'm not concerned about it being the fastest on the track.

I think I'm going to get either an older track model, or a new base model and make a few upgrades. Either way I think I'll be good.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:08 AM
MoodDude

You may be suprised when you get some real tires on that car (the stock sizes are to small for this car) that you are one of the fastest on the track. Great thing about the Z is you can fit some huge tires on her with no problem. I have 265 on front and 295 on the rear and have no issues on track, and you can go bigger if you want.
You definitely will be passing all the M3's with this car and the right tires on her.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:12 AM
SuperKool

Originally Posted by MoodDude
You may be suprised when you get some real tires on that car (the stock sizes are to small for this car) that you are one of the fastest on the track. Great thing about the Z is you can fit some huge tires on her with no problem. I have 265 on front and 295 on the rear and have no issues on track, and you can go bigger if you want.
You definitely will be passing all the M3's with this car and the right tires on her.
Cool, what wheels and tires do you use?

Quick Reply: 350Z as a track car