Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Track pads database?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 09:36 AM
IP Gthreefive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manufacturer: Endless
Compound: cc-Rg
Operating temperature range: 38~800C / 100F~1500F
Coefficient of friction: 0.35~0.42
Brake system: OEM Brembo
Application: winding / circuit
Price paid: 300
Durability: extremely Durable
Rotors friendliness: Friendly

General impressions: past weekend was my second track event with these pads. It was one of the hottest day of the year, temperature reached 118*F most of the day. First, initial bite with these pads are Excellent, as soon as you touch the pedal you can feel the brakes taking its bite, even at the hottest operating temperature. I am running Toyo RA1 275/45/17 all four corners and even after beating the brakes with these pad i never, ever felt any fade at all, just my front tires locking up. Late braking is what i like to do and with CC-Rg i don't feel like i am braking late enough.

These are great for track and also great for street, makes noise but which track pads doesn't right?

if you anyone is looking for track pads I HIGHLY recommend these pads~!!!

to order these call Andy @ Performance

http://www.mynismo.com/
Old 08-28-2008, 09:42 PM
jeremyfrens

Originally Posted by BeerViper
I can't find any threads where people have tried Project Mu HC+ (plus) pads. Anyone have any experience with them? I'm looking for something that will survive 4 - 6 20-minute track sessions but also be usable on the street.
Ok, I will bite. I bought a set of these earlier this year and love them.

Manufacturer: Project Mu
Compound: Carbon Metal
Operating temperature range: 0-800 C
Coefficient of friction: .40 - .60
Brake system: Stock Non-Brembo
Application: Road Course HPDE, Autocross
Price paid: 360$ Front+Rear
Durability: 5-8 Track Days
Rotors friendliness: Unknown

General impressions:
I switched to these after burning up a sets of OEM and Hawk HPS pads on the track, and really love them. Where the street pads had me nervous after the first 3 laps, I can stomp on these lap after lap, session after session with no worries of fading.

Initially, I got a set of Brake Pros slotted rotors to use with these pad on the track and would switch them out for stock rotors and oem street pads before and after track days. However, at one recent track event, I overheated and cracked one of the slotted rotors (it was an evening event with only 2 run groups, 20 minutes on the track, 20 minutes off, repeat for 5 sessions, so there was not much time to cool the brakes between sessions).

Since then, I have gone to running stock rotors with the HC+ pads on both the street and track and they have been performing well in both settings (even at a similar event to the one that cracked the slotted rotor). Cold, they are far more grippy than the street pads I have used in the past, and as they heat up, they gain grip with no signs of fade. I run street tires on the track (Michelin P/S 2) and can pretty easily out-brake my tires at any speed at any temperature if I want. So far, I have 4 full track days, 2 autocrosses, and about a month's worth of street driving on them, and I expect to get another track day or two before having to replace them. I have already ordered another set to replace the ones I have for whenever I do finish them off.

They do squeal a little at low speeds, which is the only downside to driving them on the street. Brake dust is comparable to the stock pads that came with the car, so if you want to keep your wheels shiny, you will find it a loosing battle running these on the street.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:55 AM
ics

I used Raybestos ST-43's last weekend for a track day and they worked great (everything else stock except brake fluid and alignment, non-Brembo). The thing is, they also seem to work on the street -- a little noisy, but effective even when cold (60deg). So my question is: is there really any need to change back to "street" pads? I'd rather not have to switch back and forth every weekend I do a track day. They're expensive but I assume wear slower. Is this really dangerous or is that just liability cya from the manufacturers/distributors?
Old 10-05-2008, 07:40 AM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by ics
I used Raybestos ST-43's last weekend for a track day and they worked great (everything else stock except brake fluid and alignment, non-Brembo). The thing is, they also seem to work on the street -- a little noisy, but effective even when cold (60deg). So my question is: is there really any need to change back to "street" pads? I'd rather not have to switch back and forth every weekend I do a track day. They're expensive but I assume wear slower. Is this really dangerous or is that just liability cya from the manufacturers/distributors?
I think you'll find that they behave for a couple hundred miles, depending on how much braking you do. Then, once the transfer layer on the rotor wears out from all the cold braking, you'll get the intolerable brake squealing. That's been my observation...

Your rotors will wear out much quicker too. That accelerated wear will 'sneak' up on you, and you'll suddenly find yourself with rotors that have massive runout lips.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:48 AM
Chiefgroover

I am on my second set of EBC yellow (Brembo's). I had still been getting brake squeal, but this time i fitted DBA XS4000 discs. NO squeal whatsoever
I am sorry i didnt bin the stock discs a long time ago.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:23 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just finished 4 plus hours of track time on the Cal Speedway Roval course, sharing the car between me and a friend. Basically back-to-back 1/2 hour session (1 hour).

I modified the car to get air to the front 2006 base brakes and was running the Raybestos ST43 front and Hawk HT10 rear pads. I echo everything Dave said in post #6 in this thread. I like the St43s better on the front then the HT10s or the DTC70s I ran before.

Porterfield machined the front ST43 pads for me from an AP caliper application. $280 plus shipping.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:47 AM
daveh

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Just finished 4 plus hours of track time on the Cal Speedway Roval course, sharing the car between me and a friend. Basically back-to-back 1/2 hour session (1 hour).

I modified the car to get air to the front 2006 base brakes and was running the Raybestos ST43 front and Hawk HT10 rear pads. I echo everything Dave said in post #6 in this thread. I like the St43s better on the front then the HT10s or the DTC70s I ran before.

Porterfield machined the front ST43 pads for me from an AP caliper application. $280 plus shipping.
Funny how you just posted this because I've gone the opposite way and just tried out a set of DTC 60 pads via NASA contingency money (thanks andrew racing). I really like their feedback and feel. They seemed to ramp up in the middle of the brake application which I liked.
They don't seem to wear as well as the st43's and have corrosive brake dust that has baked itself into my paint. For those reasons, I'll be going back to the raybestos next time around, but really give the DTC's two thumbs up.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:54 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that the DTC70/60 pad feels better and makes a braking ****** like me look God-like. If I was doing wheel-to-wheel still and had a reasonable budget I would run those pads all the time. But, given my current situation (TT and a limited budget), the ST43s are fine.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:01 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you daily drive on this setup? My DS2500s in my rear have already worn out, my fronts are getting there so I need to replace them soon. I wanted to know how the ST-43 are for daily use? Thanks!

Originally Posted by dnguyent
Manufacturer: Raybestos
Compound: ST-43 (front), Ferodo DS2500 (rear)
Operating temperature range: 1350F
Coefficient of friction: ~0.65 for ST-43 and and 0.50 for DS2500
Brake system: Stoptech 355mm BBK in front, OE Brembo rear
Application: Road Course HPDE (Thunderhill, Infineon, Laguna Seca, Reno)
Price paid: USD385 (285/100) including taxes and shipping
Durability: Fronts have lasted 3 Laguna Seca days, 3 Thunderhill days, and two Infineon days, and there is still enough pad for 2 to 3 more days. Rears are wearing a little slower, so I'm anticipating getting the rears to last another 4 days. Rotors friendliness: Both compounds appear to be friendly on rotors as long as I don't drive on the street with them cold.

General impressions:
I am very happy with these front pads. I think I'll be sticking with these for a long time. The only reason why I'd consider something else is if the alternative is on discount. The ST-41 had too much bite for my set-up. I think I finally found my combo. I only went with Ferodo rears because they are relatively inexpensive. I think I could use a tad more friction in the rear, but I'm much happier with this balance than one where there too much rear bias.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:25 PM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by SOLO-350Z
Do you daily drive on this setup? My DS2500s in my rear have already worn out, my fronts are getting there so I need to replace them soon. I wanted to know how the ST-43 are for daily use? Thanks!
Definitely not. They are race pads, and they squeal like crazy. Plus, using them cold will wear out you rotors quickly.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:46 PM
hachibill

hello, just got done at my 1st track day at sebring in an 08 nismo. all i did was replace the fluid with ATE super blue. the brakes were ok, but after about 3 hard laps would start to fade. i'm having a hard time finding pads and lines. is there a difference between these brembo's and the earlier one's? i've partial to ebc, but am open to anyting that will work for the 08's.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:18 PM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

The Brembos are the same as all year 03-08 350z with Brembos. Stop Tech lines are a good choice, and get some good pads depending what you need.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:22 PM
hachibill

point me in the right direction of where to buy..........
Old 12-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hachibill
point me in the right direction of where to buy..........
DS2500 front/rear
Motive Speedbleeder
Stoptech brake lines

would be a great setup, proven to work time and time again
Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 PM
island03z

Manufacturer: Hawk HPS
Compound: ferro-carbon
Operating temperature range: IDK
Coefficient of friction: IDK
Brake system: Stock Non-Brembo ATE super blue, street tires
Application: Road Course HPDE 3, Autocross
Price paid: $80 front
Durability: 10 Track Days 2 autox 5K daily driven
Rotors friendliness: Good

General impressions: Might be stupid tracking with these pads but my car is basically stock so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal. Great inital bite over OEM and Nismo (I'm working my way up the brake pad chain, wanna fight about it?) Pedal feel took a little getting used to as it would brake fine and lock up the wheels all of a sudden. Great on an autocross track. However these SUCK on a racetrack. Bedded these in as per the instructions so that wasn't the problem. 15 minutes into the 20 minute session at Phoenix international and these pads completely faded at the worst place possible going 120 down the straight braking for turn 1. Faded so bad to the point were I had to dodge cone barriers to avoid a spin. The nismo pads I had on lasted the full 20 minute session with progressive fading into the last 3 laps, granted I had to lead my braking a little bit earlier than the hawks. These gave out too quickly in my opinion and I'm going to move onto something else later.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:36 PM
mzz

Manufacturer: Porterfield
Compound: R-4S
Operating temperature range: IDK
Coefficient of friction: 0.41
Brake system: Stock Non-Brembo, street tires
Application: Lapping day
Price paid: $180 front + rear
Durability: 0.7 Track days (front)
Rotors friendliness: Good

Great friction, no fade with repetetive hard braking from over 100 mph, good modulation. One big problem - NOT DURABLE! I could not finish my track day as front pads were completely worn out. You could tell that just by looking at the rims, which turned from silver to black due to dust. Rears are still holding up with over 0.5 left. Great disappointment. My stock pads lasted for much longer (over 2 track days) and were not much worse overall.

Can someone recommend a good setup for all stock car with street tires? I was looking towards Raybestos ST-43 but can't afford switching pads for every track day. I am willing to sacrifice some friction in favor of durability to last for at least 4-6 full track days and be able to use them on street. Does anything like that even exist in nature?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:22 PM
M1r4cL3

True or False:

The Ferodo DS2500 is available for non-brembo OEM?

I've looked in a few places (including Z1) and it looks like these are only for the brembo setups. Am I missing something?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 PM
sfarrah

Originally Posted by M1r4cL3
True or False:

The Ferodo DS2500 is available for non-brembo OEM?

I've looked in a few places (including Z1) and it looks like these are only for the brembo setups. Am I missing something?
SPL's website shows them available for the fronts http://splparts.com/main4/parts/Niss...ds/default.htm
Old 01-20-2009, 01:46 PM
mberthia

Try www.raceshopper.com
Old 01-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Ataru074

Originally Posted by hachibill
hello, just got done at my 1st track day at sebring in an 08 nismo. all i did was replace the fluid with ATE super blue. the brakes were ok, but after about 3 hard laps would start to fade. i'm having a hard time finding pads and lines. is there a difference between these brembo's and the earlier one's? i've partial to ebc, but am open to anyting that will work for the 08's.
topbrakes has the ds2500 front and rear for about 200$ shipped.
the fluid is a good idea so are the braided lines.
if you stay with street tires the ds2500 are enough. (imho)

Quick Reply: Track pads database?