Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

I survived my first track day! The Z did GREAT!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 09:44 PM
qu8ttro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kognition
lol, yea that poor guy was standing out by the track entrance with his vette on a trailer, and the truck towing it had a flat. What buzzard luck! Yes the S13 had a redtop in it. Ran like a champ. We were running in "D intermediate".

Are you serious?? I was wondering why the truck was stopped at the entrance. man talk about having a bad day!
Old 11-07-2006, 04:06 AM
skidmarq

Originally Posted by qu8ttro
. The Z06 ran into the oil, spun and ran into the tire wall.
You guys remember the video game, "Spy Hunter"
Old 11-07-2006, 05:49 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should have seen Dayton's girlfriend Sabrina driving his G35 coupe!

Dayton and Mike have been giving her some instruction at Cal Speedway and Buttonwillow, so this was her third or fourth time out. She was assigned to me for instruction the first session out (required Speedventures rule for first timers at Laguna Seca is an instructor orientation to the track). She did a ride along in the right seat of my car during my group to see the driving line and get used to the course visually, then when we got to time for the novice group run and she drove and I rode right seat.

Using hand signals for throttle, brake, ease right and ease left, we worked around the track and she kept getting faster and faster, working up the speed gradually and comfortably (well, there was a little "squealie" in turn 3 that got me gripping the door, but she stayed on throttle and stayed planted, which a lot of beginners do not do).

Finally, we took the Andretti hairpin (pre briefed and explained, as well as shown "how to") as a single apex turn. This is not a simple task. As you come across the top at WOT for turn 1 and drift out to track right, instead of hugging the outside edge and then cutting in as a first apex, then a second, you take aim at the center of the surface and stay on throttle longer, then straight brake deep, and then look hard left to your second apex point and steer to it. The back yaws around and you get on throttle earlier and zip out to the edge on exit track side right. It is a fast way through and she pulled it off the FIRST TIME! Made up about 6 to 8 car lengths on the S2000 in front of her just in that turn. By the end of the session she was easily one of the fastest, if not in fact the fastest in the group.

Watch out all you lads......she has the skills and determination to really do well out there, and a cool head. Hats off to Dayton for letting her drive his car like that. He is a real supportive and cool guy for his lady, and big respect props for him from me.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:01 AM
Eagle1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And yes Mike, the white coupe was super on the new suspension. She was doing lap times five seconds faster or better all day long than my best times on this track when running the supercharger, and that was only on .8bar of boost. (anything over that and I ran over the 92 decibel sound level.......on .9 it was really much faster, because the higher hp and torque makes a huge difference on the hill climbs from turn 5 to 6, and 6 to 7, as well as the final acceleration up under the bridge on the front straight). Engine temps were between 95 and 100 C (water temp) steady even at speed and under boost, lap after lap. Just a touch of rub on the front left, so need to take a look at that (turn 4, high speed left to right is where that showed itself once we really got going hard, otherwise not, including turn 10). the AP Racing brakes were outstanding, especially coming down hill to Turn 2 hairpin and having to really stand on it hard to bring the speed down. the interesting thing about that track is that there really are only three hard braking points on the whole track, the other two being the entry to the corkscrew after the climb up the Rahal straight, and turn 11 before the front straight. Pretty much all the others are modest or balance type braking to set the car for the turns (3,4,5,6..no brake at 7..9, 10). A good day and the car was super.

An NSX ate the wall at 8 as did a Carrera. An S2000 with a big wing lost it at 6 and hit the wall right in front of me (got video of that one!). But overall it was a pretty clean running day.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:42 AM
qu8ttro

Originally Posted by skidmarq
You guys remember the video game, "Spy Hunter"
yeah something like that..haha
Old 11-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Sk8fe

Originally Posted by skidmarq
I shouldn't even open up these types of threads knowing I'm just torturing myself
+1

But in my case because I am on the east coast!
Old 11-07-2006, 07:58 AM
qu8ttro

Originally Posted by Eagle1
You should have seen Dayton's girlfriend Sabrina driving his G35 coupe!

Dayton and Mike have been giving her some instruction at Cal Speedway and Buttonwillow, so this was her third or fourth time out. She was assigned to me for instruction the first session out (required Speedventures rule for first timers at Laguna Seca is an instructor orientation to the track). She did a ride along in the right seat of my car during my group to see the driving line and get used to the course visually, then when we got to time for the novice group run and she drove and I rode right seat.

Using hand signals for throttle, brake, ease right and ease left, we worked around the track and she kept getting faster and faster, working up the speed gradually and comfortably (well, there was a little "squealie" in turn 3 that got me gripping the door, but she stayed on throttle and stayed planted, which a lot of beginners do not do).

Finally, we took the Andretti hairpin (pre briefed and explained, as well as shown "how to") as a single apex turn. This is not a simple task. As you come across the top at WOT for turn 1 and drift out to track right, instead of hugging the outside edge and then cutting in as a first apex, then a second, you take aim at the center of the surface and stay on throttle longer, then straight brake deep, and then look hard left to your second apex point and steer to it. The back yaws around and you get on throttle earlier and zip out to the edge on exit track side right. It is a fast way through and she pulled it off the FIRST TIME! Made up about 6 to 8 car lengths on the S2000 in front of her just in that turn. By the end of the session she was easily one of the fastest, if not in fact the fastest in the group.

Watch out all you lads......she has the skills and determination to really do well out there, and a cool head. Hats off to Dayton for letting her drive his car like that. He is a real supportive and cool guy for his lady, and big respect props for him from me.

That's what Dayton was saying about Sabrina...better watch out for her. Yeah he's super supportive of her and willing to offer his G to her. Cool guy!

Sounds like a lot of excitment that weekend. Post some pics or videos! I wish I couldn't have stayed for the weekend...
Old 11-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Sk8fe

Here are some pics of this poor c5 zo6. I heard the porsche in front of him blew his engine and spilled oil all over the track. The Z06 ran into the oil, spun and ran into the tire wall. sad sad
Sure hope he had Driver Ed. track insurance.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about that if there is oil down and its too late to avoid. You're along for the ride then...
Old 11-07-2006, 08:28 AM
qu8ttro

Originally Posted by Sk8fe
Sure hope he had Driver Ed. track insurance.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about that if there is oil down and its too late to avoid. You're along for the ride then...

Yeah...the guy was pretty bummed out. He still had a sense of humor and asked for donations..
Old 11-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Sk8fe

Wow, good for him! If don't know if I could say the same about myself if I were in the same situation.

Did he give you permission to take pics? Just FYI since it was your first track day, but usually it is not considered "proper paddock etiquette" to take pics or to get too close to check out someone's balled-up car from a track incident. Sounded like he had a good humor about it, but I have seen similar situations at other tracks where the driver/owner of the vehicle did not take it so light-heartedly.

Just FYI...
Old 11-07-2006, 08:58 AM
kognition

I checked my camera, and no video of you on the track... sorry. I did have a glance of your car on a walk thru of the paddock, but not worth much. I just picked up a cage mount camera holder from Pegasus, and can wait to use it. First i was going to use my 2 year old camcorder, but we recently upgraded our cybershot camera with a new 7.2 MP one. It has a 2 GB memory stick! So i actually recorded us doing an entire lap out there, with tons of memory to spare. The quality was excellent, so i am just gonna bolt that puppy onto the mount for my Redline event next month.

Yeah...the guy was pretty bummed out. He still had a sense of humor and asked for donations..
Old 11-07-2006, 08:59 AM
kognition

LOL! Man it was like groupies around a rock star with that Vette. Everyone was snapping shots, at least 20 people!

Wow, good for him! If don't know if I could say the same about myself if I were in the same situation.

Did he give you permission to take pics? Just FYI since it was your first track day, but usually it is not considered "proper paddock etiquette" to take pics or to get too close to check out someone's balled-up car from a track incident. Sounded like he had a good humor about it, but I have seen similar situations at other tracks where the driver/owner of the vehicle did not take it so light-heartedly.

Just FYI...
Old 11-07-2006, 09:22 AM
qu8ttro

Just FYI...
Yeah he was cool about it. I was chatting with him a bit before I took the pictures. I'm sure I wouldn't be as easy going if that happened to me.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:26 AM
qu8ttro

LOL! Man it was like groupies around a rock star with that Vette. Everyone was snapping shots, at least 20 people!

hahaha yeah that was a pretty big crowd. I wonder if anyone took pictures of that porsche caused the wreck...
Old 11-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Sk8fe

Just saw the pic of the Ariel Atoms out on the track! Were they supercharged? Were they fast out on the track? Did you ever see the 5th Gear video snipnet on Ariel's website? Very cool! Man! I would love to have an S/C Atom!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:09 AM
mistico

Congrats on your first Track day! They sure are a blast.

I know what you're saying about the brakes. I couldn't finish my first trackday either because of brakes, and the car only had 2500 miles.

Nice pics too.

There is another laguna day on the dec 23rd that I'll be attending. Hope it doesn't rain..
Old 11-07-2006, 10:20 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just a change of pads can make your brakes last longer. The Stock 350Z without brembos is still under braked, but a set of Carbotechs, Hawks, or the like can make a world of difference with good fluid like Motol or Super Blue. OEM's can be gone in as little as 3 sessions, then the brake fluid is shot because of all the heat.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:32 AM
kognition

No, that car went right out the front gate, and he never looked back. Never came back to the paddock. Awkward moment there i'm sure.

hahaha yeah that was a pretty big crowd. I wonder if anyone took pictures of that porsche caused the wreck...
Old 11-07-2006, 10:35 AM
qu8ttro

Just saw the pic of the Ariel Atoms out on the track! Were they supercharged? Were they fast out on the track? Did you ever see the 5th Gear video snipnet on Ariel's website? Very cool! Man! I would love to have an S/C Atom!

Yes one of them was supercharged. They were in the advance group so I can't tell you how fast they were but i see them screaming by..haha They are sweet!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:36 AM
qu8ttro

I checked my camera, and no video of you on the track... sorry. I did have a glance of your car on a walk thru of the paddock, but not worth much. I just picked up a cage mount camera holder from Pegasus, and can wait to use it. First i was going to use my 2 year old camcorder, but we recently upgraded our cybershot camera with a new 7.2 MP one. It has a 2 GB memory stick! So i actually recorded us doing an entire lap out there, with tons of memory to spare. The quality was excellent, so i am just gonna bolt that puppy onto the mount for my Redline event next month.

Thanks for checking anyways! I should get a camcorder too

Quick Reply: I survived my first track day! The Z did GREAT!