Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Accusump

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006 | 09:25 AM
MoodDude

Default Accusump

Anyone running an Accusump on their Z? Anyone know what to proper size would be for the Z?

I was thinking of installing the one quart since the Z has such a low pressure at idle, it could overflow the system if I went with a two quart.

The reason that I am going to do this now, is ever since I went with wider RA-1s on the car, I can out corner the spec miatas. This has me a little concerned that I could loose oil pick up at corner exit when I am under full load of the engine. That could spell disasster for the car!

Also, is anyone using a fuel Surge tank to solve our cars fuel starvation problem. If so, how and where did you install it? What kind did you buy? Did it solve the problem? Can you run the car with a 1/4 tank of gas on a road coarse after using it?
I am just really tired of running a full tank of gas and having fuel starvation when the tank drops below 3/4 of a tank.

Last edited by MoodDude; 11-26-2006 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-03-2006 | 10:02 PM
03Z33

I'd also be very interested in this... It's a much less expensive alternative to true dry sump and I've seen a lot of track cars run them including Lotus Elise Sport Cup straight from the factory.

Regarding the fuel starvation, I just got used to running 1/2 tank or more, and figure I'll go to a fuel cell before I start messing with the stock tank. The way the stock tank is split into two halves makes it difficult for the fuel to level out when coming out of longer high speed turns.
I did see a custom fuel surge tank in a Z though, he was running dual pumps and had a local fabricator weld up a nice aluminum tank with all the fittings and brackets to mount it in the rear hatch area, just above and behind the stock fuel pump access port. The car also used a carbon fiber "fire wall" to separate the fuel pumps and tank from the drivers compartment.

Last edited by 03Z33; 12-03-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2006 | 11:08 AM
chimmike

For oil, added capacity would help you more than anything....say with a JWT pan spacer......a little more simple answer for your concern as it adds a quart but also lowers the pickup as much as the spacer.
Old 12-20-2006 | 12:18 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

a spacer is a great idea. it deepens the sump area without increasing the floor-plan size of the sump. so now under the same max g, the oil capacity of the sump will be increased significantly - without increasing any area that the oil has to get away from the pickup.

accusumps are great, but personally i only use them to prime an engine that has never been run perhaps if i road raced my car non stop i would try it.

have any of you hardcore racers ever thought about logging your oil pressure with a high speed datalogger to see if there are even any problems with it around the track?

as for a fuel surge tank - my company is currently testing a complete replacement intank surge tank assembly. its original intention was to support multiple fuel pumps for high HP - however we have discussed trying a road racing version that is just a single pump with much increased surge tank capacity and superior control over the fuel. there are a couple local road racers that i will probably contact for testing of this for me on the road course... however since we are in the land of crummy weather i may try and find one of you guys that are racing all year round.
Old 12-20-2006 | 06:18 PM
MoodDude

I have lowered the oil pan and increased the capacity - I have the APS TT kit. I don't have a datalogger, but was interested in oil pressure as I went around a corner, I have noticed that it does drop in mid corner.
I have bought a accusump now with a one quart capacity since I have figure that I can fit another quart of oil in the sump if the accusump totally emtied. I will be working this winter on installing it.
As far as the surge fuel surge tank - there are many other cars that share the Z's problem. Street cars are not designed for R-Compound tires. I would be happy to test it, but won't be running again until March at Road Atlanta.
Old 12-20-2006 | 06:28 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by MoodDude
I have lowered the oil pan and increased the capacity - I have the APS TT kit. I don't have a datalogger, but was interested in oil pressure as I went around a corner, I have noticed that it does drop in mid corner.
I have bought a accusump now with a one quart capacity since I have figure that I can fit another quart of oil in the sump if the accusump totally emtied. I will be working this winter on installing it.
As far as the surge fuel surge tank - there are many other cars that share the Z's problem. Street cars are not designed for R-Compound tires. I would be happy to test it, but won't be running again until March at Road Atlanta.
I think that the stock pan with a spacer is probably an even better solution than the APS pan, but your probably fine either way. Where do you plan to mount your accusump?

We have already been testing the internal can for other applications and are working with other tuners on even more applications for 2007. The Z one has been one of the more difficult because the diameter needs to be so small, and we have a lot of stuff going on inside there. There is also a venturi siphon for the Z that further complicates that application, but we have it all done now. It just took some time to figure out how to precisely place everything in there to accomodate all the features. Perhaps in a few weeks we will make the small changes required to get to accomodate a single pump which would increase its capacity since one less pump would be displacing fuel inside the surge tank.
Old 12-20-2006 | 07:04 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

I've run a two-quart accusump on one of my past Nissan GT5 racecars. It had a manual release valve, so you'd have to remember to shut the valve before switching off, if you wanted to prime the motor before the next start up. But that meant the accusump was in the cockpit next to me and all kinds of mess if the pressure bypass activated due to a pressure surge.

Since then, I've used drysumps in all my race motors and they have been great. Besides a larger volume of oil- both in the lines and tank- both cooling and filtering are improved! Critical for modern racecars on slicks.

As for the surge tank, I added the ATL surge tank kit (which combines a high pressure pump inside the surge tank) to my ten-gallon Fuelsafe cell (in a GT3 350Z). Seems to work adequately and the kit comes complete with all fittings, attachments and wiring necessary for a clean installation. I don't know the depth of the OEM gas tank in our 350Zs, but the ATL kit might be modified to work.
Old 05-01-2007 | 11:08 PM
DRE350

Sorry to bring up old thread but I'm running slicks now and getting scared of fuel surge and oil stravation issues. I am looking at buying a surge tank and this accusump.

MoodDude - how have you found the accusump?

I'm thinking about getting the AAM Stage 2 fuel system with surge tank and Bosch pump. If I get a fuel cell, does this negate the need for a surge tank or do you ideally ned both?
Old 05-02-2007 | 06:08 AM
MoodDude

The fuel cell will solve the starvation issue so no need for a surge tank.

Accusump works but you must add a few extra items for it to work, but nothing takes the place of a dry sump!
Old 05-02-2007 | 06:10 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by DRE350
Sorry to bring up old thread but I'm running slicks now and getting scared of fuel surge and oil stravation issues. I am looking at buying a surge tank and this accusump.

MoodDude - how have you found the accusump?

I'm thinking about getting the AAM Stage 2 fuel system with surge tank and Bosch pump. If I get a fuel cell, does this negate the need for a surge tank or do you ideally ned both?
A fuel cell will help, as they typically have a 'ducksfoot' fuel pickup installed to help catch fuel sloshing around. But you'll still need a high-pressure fuel pump and the ATL kit adds one together with a dedicated surge tank, so you may as install them together in the fuel cell BEFORE you actually put the cell into your Z.
Old 05-02-2007 | 07:36 PM
racin

Yes, I will confirm that you would still be better served running a surge tank with a fuel cell.