Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia
View Poll Results: Pick best for HPDE + R-comp use for a daily driver
Koni shocks + OEM springs (cheapest and least performing setup overall)
7.46%
Nismo S-Tune (maybe not good enough for R-comp)
10.45%
Shock + Spring combo (Koni + ? Tanabe?)
16.42%
HKS RS
11.94%
Tein Flex
22.39%
Stance z33 single (rear true coil over) 12k/5k
13.43%
T2 nissan race springs / tc koni shocks (probably too extreme for HPDE + daily driving)
19.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Suspension Poll: For HPDE & R-comp on a daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Nihilation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you guys running the Rota P45's or real Nismo wheels?
Old 01-06-2007, 09:58 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nihilation
Are you guys running the Rota P45's or real Nismo wheels?
If you are refering your question to me....

I have real LMGT4 Nismo's 2 sets of them. There is a pic on here of Navygolf's car (red Z) that ran a set of those heavy Rota wheels once at Buttonwillow, but all the rest of the time it is real Nismo's.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:58 PM
JRSport018

Where do you guys track in SD?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Nihilation

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the Tokico DSpecs go, what spring rates can they handle?
Old 01-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Jokestrap

I have the new Greddy Type S coilovers and I have used them on the track, and daily of course. They are great.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:07 AM
rlwjr1

Originally Posted by rlwjr1
Sorry for the noob question here, but I have to ask anyway. Are we talking Koni Yellow's here?

I was thinking with my combo, stock springs/struts with Stillen Sway Bars, and my budget, none, Koni's would be a nice addition.
Thoughts on this anyone???
Old 01-07-2007, 08:34 AM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by JRSport018
Where do you guys track in SD?
San Diego?? There is no tracks in San Diego. We go to Willow Springs (big willow and streets), Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca, California Speedway (infield and roval), Spring Mountain Motorsports park, etc.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
Not too much to say. We have built many Z's G's in the past 3 years, ranging from very mild daily drivers, to full blown track cars. The Eibach Sportline springs are as good as any other stand alone spring on the market for daily driving street comfort, especially considering the agressivness of the drop. The Tokico D-Spec is a price friendly 12 way adjustable that complaments the dprings well. I have one of my personal cars (a G coupe) with this set up, I track the car quite often and am very content with the overall drop, ride height, streetability, and track performance. Granted they are not better than most coilovers, and they are not a linear spring which are ideal for track use, but the over all result is a nicely priced shock/spring combonation for the street, that will work fine on the track.

I appreciate the response, but my thirst is not nearly quenched.
I'm still 100% baffled as to why you would go with the crappy Sportline. I would be willing to bet money that the Pro Kits would yield better lap times with the same shocks and setup. I would be willing to bet that almost every single spring made for the 350 woule be better. (save for the Sprints and Megan and BS like that)
Swift?
Prokit?
Tokico matched spring?
Anything?????

Just because you work for VRT doesn't impress me. I don't mean that to be a shot at you or anyone else. You work for an aftermarket parts car shop. Sure, you deal with high dollar stuff, but anyone can throw $ at a car. (this makes it even more befuddling, being that you obviously have access to better products) You state here that you like the overall drop, ride height, streetability, and track performance. Being that you work for VRT, I would think that those items would be in this order of importance, and it seems that 'overall drop' and 'ride height' would be OITS.....
1. Track Performance
2. Streetability
3. Ride Height

Why wouldn't it be? These are not linear. They are soft, they have too much of a drop for what they are worth. Why would you recommend them to anyone is confusing. Especially over other springs! Must be a sales technique, because any other answer would be mind blowing.
Any kind of answer would be apprecaited. Regards,
Old 01-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Redfoot

I would consider the yellow Koni Sports with the Hotckis Linear springs. That is the setup I ran until installing the Koni Truechoice package. The Koni sports were easy to adjust for track & back to street. I ran them with Toyo RA1s at the track & TS1 for the street. I do however have the 350evo adjustable A arms on the front which were slammed in all the way on the track & eye balled back out for the street. Never did get a professional alignment until I installed the Truchoice Konis. If you're just looking for something better for the track & not wanting to go all out I think this is one of the better/simpler choices.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:29 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by Fluid1
I appreciate the response, but my thirst is not nearly quenched.
I'm still 100% baffled as to why you would go with the crappy Sportline. I would be willing to bet money that the Pro Kits would yield better lap times with the same shocks and setup. I would be willing to bet that almost every single spring made for the 350 woule be better. (save for the Sprints and Megan and BS like that)
Swift?
Prokit?
Tokico matched spring?
Anything?????

Just because you work for VRT doesn't impress me. I don't mean that to be a shot at you or anyone else. You work for an aftermarket parts car shop. Sure, you deal with high dollar stuff, but anyone can throw $ at a car. (this makes it even more befuddling, being that you obviously have access to better products) You state here that you like the overall drop, ride height, streetability, and track performance. Being that you work for VRT, I would think that those items would be in this order of importance, and it seems that 'overall drop' and 'ride height' would be OITS.....
1. Track Performance
2. Streetability
3. Ride Height

Why wouldn't it be? These are not linear. They are soft, they have too much of a drop for what they are worth. Why would you recommend them to anyone is confusing. Especially over other springs! Must be a sales technique, because any other answer would be mind blowing.
Any kind of answer would be apprecaited. Regards,
Hahahaha, Sales technique?? I can get ahold of, and sell pretty much any spring/shock/coilover on the market, and I am not partial to any one company or line of products, at all!
Believe me, I do not just "work" for VRT. Hahaha. I just merely stated that the Sportlines are a descent overall spring when combined with the D-Specs for daily driving, and an occasional track day. Sure there is other descent springs for this application. As far as the Pro-Kit VS. the Sportline is concerned, I have track tested, and spring rate tested both. For ride comfort, the Pro-Kit is great for a daily driver but they are softer and not as much as a drop as the sportlines. I have tracked both sets of springs on the same car with everything else being equal, Shocks, sway bar settings, etc. and the Sportlines out perform the Pro-Kit in over all track feel, they provide significantly less body roll. Sure there are some better suspension set ups out there for the track than these, but that wasn't the question that I was asked.

--EDIT--

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 01-07-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Tubbs

^^^ Gosh, that post comes off sounding pretty arogant, and that is not my intention at all, I have been sick and I am just alittle cranky Sory, to come off that way.

You should just edit that out, because I don't think you'd gain any customers from your post. :/
Old 01-07-2007, 07:35 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by Tubbs
You should just edit that out, because I don't think you'd gain any customers from your post. :/
--EDITED--

Maybe , but that post just came out a bit more blunt than I meant it to. Wasn't realy trying to get anymore customers realy, just trying to share my findings over the years and miles with others.

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 01-08-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nihilation
As far as the Tokico DSpecs go, what spring rates can they handle?

According to Ray at Tokico, 448lbs/448lbs.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:38 AM
Tim Mahoney

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
According to Ray at Tokico, 448lbs/448lbs.

I do the DD/track car thing on a budget too. I've run the Tokico's on a G with the updated factory sport rear springs for a year with decent results. On track, the stiffer rear coils helpeded turn in a bit but I still needed to run the rear (Hotchkiss) bar at one notch off of full stiff. I run the rear shocks at 1-1.5 turns out from full stiff and they seem to control the rebound well, worlds better than the stock dampers. The Tokico's adjust both the compression (bump) & rebound dampening in a fixed ratio with a single adjuster, I find the increased bump control helps in "faking" increased spring rates in transitions.

I'm trying to get improved track performance with less bar for this season. I listened to Scott's recommendation of the Sportlines last year, but held off because I don't want to deal with the alignment issues and decreased ground clearance of shorter springs. I've chosen the Espelir GT spring set based on the excellent data provided by Gsedan35. Like the Eibach's they're progressive, but they have the right ride height (only 10mm drop) and maintain the same F/R balance as the factory sport springs with about 100 lb/in peak increase in rates at both ends. I'm hoping the rate increase will help with body control in transitions, and allow a decreased rear bar setting to keep the inside wheel down on tight turns. I'm also hoping that the max spring rates quoted above have a little safety factor in there because the Espelir rears exceed that max by 65-70 lb/in. - We'll see. After looking at all the options out there this is what I chose for a budget dual purpose suspension. I'll post if I blow any shocks, and hope this helps in your search.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 AM
Fluid1

Hahahaha, Sales technique?? I can get ahold of, and sell pretty much any spring/shock/coilover on the market, and I am not partial to any one company or line of products, at all!
Believe me, I do not just "work" for VRT. Hahaha. I just merely stated that the Sportlines are a descent overall spring when combined with the D-Specs for daily driving, and an occasional track day. Sure there is other descent springs for this application. As far as the Pro-Kit VS. the Sportline is concerned, I have track tested, and spring rate tested both. For ride comfort, the Pro-Kit is great for a daily driver but they are softer and not as much as a drop as the sportlines. I have tracked both sets of springs on the same car with everything else being equal, Shocks, sway bar settings, etc. and the Sportlines out perform the Pro-Kit in over all track feel, they provide significantly less body roll. Sure there are some better suspension set ups out there for the track than these, but that wasn't the question that I was asked.

--EDIT--
It is the question I asked you

I didn't mean for you to take offense in any way, I was fooling around about the sales technique, as you obviously have literally hundreds of suspension setups at your disposal. I jokingly said that if it wasn't a sales technique, then I don't understand why. I, in no way, think that you need a sales technique for a simple spring. I think you just emotionally picked out the least important parts of my inquiry.

I'm still completely miffed to as how the sportlines can outperform the pro kits on a track, and for that matter, outperform any other aftermarket linear spring..... I just don't buy it.

You say you have spring rate tested both the sportlines and the pro kits. Any chance you can put that information into this thread? Thanks!

Cheers, happy driving!
-t

Last edited by Fluid1; 01-10-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Fluid1

--EDITED--

Maybe , but that post just came out a bit more blunt than I meant it to. Wasn't realy trying to get anymore customers realy, just trying to share my findings over the years and miles with others.
Man, if I lived anywhere near you, I'd be a customer of yours.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:21 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Man, if I lived anywhere near you, I'd be a customer of yours.
i appreciate the complament and the vote of confidence. Thanks for the PM too, by the way . Call me anytime to discuss....there is too many things to go over about suspension here.....

PM sent (replied to)
Old 02-25-2007, 05:57 AM
streetracer

Has anybody ever tried the hotchkis springs with the tokico d-specs combo? Any idea on what to expect on streetability comfort? I'm looking into upgrading my suspension and still confused as to get coilovers or combo.