Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Bad news from John at Buttonwillow

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 01:00 PM
commasense

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my weekend at BW, there were a lot of Exiges but only a couple of Elises. I got the sense that Exige is definitely preferred for the track. A few more horses, better suspension, fixed hard top. But it looks like your Elise already has all that. Good going.

The Elise is a complete blast on the track: unbelievable levels of grip, very predictable handling, just a lot of fun to drive. The stock 190 hp Toyota motor isn't exactly overwhelming on the straights: I had to work to get much over 100 mph. But I could catch up to much more powerful cars in the corners.

If it hasn't already been done on your car, I think the first thing you'll want to work on is the shifter. The throw is surprisingly long (longer than the Z, I think), and the gate is real sloppy. I found it easy to get into fourth when I was trying for second. I haven't looked, but I'm sure there are fixes for that.

BTW, I think you'll find that you'll want another car for a daily driver, or you'll be taking the Titan out when you need some groceries. The Elise has almost no storage space and it's a pain to get out of, especially with the top on. And out on the road I felt distinctly more vulnerable around trucks and SUVs than I ever did in my Miata.

But I'm still envious. You're going to have a great time in that car! Congrats!
Old 05-22-2007, 06:15 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dnguyent
Post lap time comparisons when you get used to the new beastie.
I wish I really could, but since I'm new to the west coast and really didn't have ample time to get an appropriate baseline at Buttonwillow with my Z, it's going to be difficult to compare.

Originally Posted by commasense
On my weekend at BW, there were a lot of Exiges but only a couple of Elises. I got the sense that Exige is definitely preferred for the track. A few more horses, better suspension, fixed hard top. But it looks like your Elise already has all that. Good going.

The Elise is a complete blast on the track: unbelievable levels of grip, very predictable handling, just a lot of fun to drive. The stock 190 hp Toyota motor isn't exactly overwhelming on the straights: I had to work to get much over 100 mph. But I could catch up to much more powerful cars in the corners.

If it hasn't already been done on your car, I think the first thing you'll want to work on is the shifter. The throw is surprisingly long (longer than the Z, I think), and the gate is real sloppy. I found it easy to get into fourth when I was trying for second. I haven't looked, but I'm sure there are fixes for that.

BTW, I think you'll find that you'll want another car for a daily driver, or you'll be taking the Titan out when you need some groceries. The Elise has almost no storage space and it's a pain to get out of, especially with the top on. And out on the road I felt distinctly more vulnerable around trucks and SUVs than I ever did in my Miata.

But I'm still envious. You're going to have a great time in that car! Congrats!
Agree with you on all accounts. I still have yet to get much seat time as I just brought the thing home this evening - may do an AutoX on Saturday to get to know the car.

No, I didn't plan on having the Elise match my truck - LOL.

And some remote reservoir bling...
Old 05-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Scott Webb

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to learn about your Z, but I must say - nice recovery! I've spent time behind the wheel of Z's and Elises at Buttonwillow and they're both a lot of fun. The communication through the wheel and chassis on the Lotus is fantastic. You're going to love it!

Hope our paths will cross at the track one day soon!
Old 05-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Black Ztallion

Congrats on the new car John! It looks beautiful. Thanks again for the wheels.
Tony
Old 05-24-2007, 03:35 PM
ULLLOSE

Originally Posted by commasense

An Exige has the same HP and TQ as the Elise and both have the same suspension option packages. The Exige has a little more down-force and weighs a few lbs more, that is the only difference until you get into the newer Exige S which has the supercharger.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:34 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

John, good talking to you today. Car looks great and alot of fun I am sure, cant wait for you to bring it by.