Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

My Next Track Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 08:33 AM
Marc Mc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Next Track Tire?

I know it seem these come up far too often. I have been searching everywhere for the right recommendation for me and have Toyo, Kumho, Potenza and Falkens all twirling around in my brain. My issue with most of the input is you have to weed through too many folks that don't track them. So, I thought I would come to this trusted source and hope not to be slammed for not searching.

My Z: 2006 Track.
Current Tire: Stock Potenzas: Front: 245 (18"), Rear: 265 (19")
Track experience (with times): 7 days - Searspoint(2:08), Laguna(1:55), and THill (didnt have timer yet)

I am planning on getting new wheels to go 18" all around. I have to drive it to the track so Hoosiers are out, plus I don't believe my experience level warrants them yet. The next size was recommended from someone I trust is 255 on Front and 275 on back, which sounds reasonable.

The problem is I just can't decide on the tire. The Falkens seem like a good tire (and price), but some stated there are probs at higher temps. The Kumho's seem like good tires, but no one is especially raving about them, even calling the techonology 'old'. The Michelin Sport Cups look great, but damn they are pricey. Toyo RA-1's are obviously in the running as well.

So, put yourself in my experience level and make a recommendation. I appreciate any input!

Marc Mc
Old 05-05-2007, 09:43 AM
PDX_Racer

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

If you have a separate set of wheels, just throw them in the car and drive to the track on your street tires. Yes, they'll fit.

For track days, you want a tire that is durable and won't get too greasy when they get hot. That leaves out the Falkens. As far as the other options, the Kumho V710s are a pretty good choice. The Michelins are a good "street performance" tire, and the RA-1s are a bit better than a pure street tire.

Overall, I'd recommend Kumho V710s in 245/35R18. If they start to overheat, then they start to slide a bit, but it's easily controllable and the tires will come back when they cool back down. They're also very durable, although they do get slower as they get older, but that's true of any tire.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:49 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,304 Likes on 904 Posts

Consider the Nitto NT01. For the Z, they are a good, durable track day tire and a bit cheaper than the other R-compounds out there. There's a more complete tire review of the NT01 in the current (Spring '07) issue of Nissan Sport Magazine.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:05 PM
adrianko43

I dont know what your skill level is, but I think you should try a tire that is close to an r-compund before actually running on r-compounds. Such as the Falken RT-615, BF Goodrich T/A KD, or Advan Neova Ad07. This way it will be a gradual step up, and you wont be hiding any mistakes you are making.

From what i've read, a lot of people were running Falken RT-615 at the recent Buttonwillow time attack, so they cant be that bad.

I myself just bought a set of Falkens for the track, but i havent run on them yet, so i can't comment on how they perform yet. I was also considering the BF Goodrich and Advans metioned above, but the price of the Falkens were just too cheap.

Last edited by adrianko43; 05-05-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:58 PM
joeygill

I've seen alot of ppl at track days with the Falken 615's, and most of them say they dont get greasy when hot. I think the greasiness were more of an issue with the earlier version of the Azenis'. I know of someone that runs 275's all around on 17" wheels on his Z, and is very fast with that setup.

For me, I'm running Kumho MX 255's all around on 17" wheels on my stock G. I like this tire, they hold up well on track days and auto-x's. Most ppl say they arent as sticky as the 615's, but I havent tried 615's so cant say for myself. For the price and performance, its hard to be disappointed with the MX's.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:11 PM
mistico

I'm running RT615's on 18's and they are on my dedicated track wheels.
I'm on the same boat as you with less than 10 trackdays under my belt(on the car).
The reason I went with the falken was that I didn't want to jump straight to an R compound tire. There are R tires which you can drive to the track on and that's what I'll do next but I still have at least 5-6 days left on the RT615's.

If it helps any, i'm running 245/40/18 all around with stock 06 rims.

Also, when I ran the RT615's, performance was aceptable for a street tire in that price range. Someone fatser might overheat them quicker but I'm no slouch either. They grip more then the stock tires but not sure about the tires on your car as they are better than what my base 06 has (RE040 vs RE050)

Toyo RA-1 or Nitto NT01 will be my next set though.

When's your next trackday?
Old 05-05-2007, 07:01 PM
Marc Mc

Thanks for the input.
My next track day is May 21st at T-Hill.

Ahhhhh..decisions decisions.....
Old 05-05-2007, 10:41 PM
tmak26b

Here is a tip, do not use brand new wheels at the track unless you don't care about them. They will get pitted and destoryed, I can already tell you that now.

As far as tires choice, go as far as you feel like you want to go. I have a set of RA-1 and Rt-615s, the RA-1s are nearly 3 sec faster per lap at three different 1.5 miles course than the 615s. They also last longer before getting greasy and they are less hazardous for me as I get no sideway action with them. You can run the 710s, but they wear out very quickly. I dont know what your budget is, but 710 is not a good idea if you are not doing time trial competitively and dont want to replace tires every couple of events. On my RA-1s, I dont usually feel the tires slipping until the 5th lap. I can get a good 8-10 min on them in a 100% stock car. I can show you tons and tons of videos of me spinning my rear tires with the 615s on course, virtually none on the RA1s.

People get hard ons over the Azenis, I think they are pure junk. I just drove my 615s on a long distance trip since my trip on the RA1s. The 615s are bumpy, REALLY NOISY and they track all over the place. If not because i want to save the tires for Pocono, I would just use the RA1s as the 615s are virtually unmanagable on a street car. I have a tough time listening to talk show as the car rings so hard!
Old 05-06-2007, 06:53 AM
Marc Mc

Tmak26b - what size are you running on the RA1's?
They don't seem to have a wide breadth of sizes.

Thanks,
Marc Mc
Old 05-06-2007, 07:19 AM
PDX_Racer

If you're burning up 710s on the track, you're sliding them too much. They run them in qualifying and 30-minute races on T1 Corvettes and Vipers, and they generally have lots of good tread on them, they just aren't "tip-top sharp" for competition.

Last year, I picked up a set of used 710s (SCCA T2 weekend on them) at the beginning of last year and still was running quick autocross times on them at the end of the year.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:34 AM
merlot350Z

Default tires

PDX......time for another set for this year. Let me know. merlot350Z@yahoo.com
Old 05-06-2007, 11:46 AM
PDX_Racer

But I already got a set earlier this year from you!
Old 05-06-2007, 06:25 PM
tmak26b

Originally Posted by Marc Mc
Tmak26b - what size are you running on the RA1's?
They don't seem to have a wide breadth of sizes.

Thanks,
Marc Mc
used 235/40/17, 235/45/17, 255/40/17, sometimes i would mismatch them. It's one of those things where I run whatever I have available in the garage. The car works perfect with 245/45/17, I think that's the ideal size on stock rims. I have been using 235F and 255R, I have to back the car a notch to get rid of the understeer. I can still make up the time by powering off the corner better with the massive 255 grip.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:26 PM
tmak26b

Just to add how bad the Azenis are, I did one autox run in them. All it did was plow into the corner, and power slide off the corner. The RA1s don't really do that unless I am going nuts on them. Of course the problem was worse going from a 911 to a Z....
Old 05-06-2007, 08:48 PM
mistico

Marc Mc, take a lok at this threaqd if you haven't already done so.

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-road/266931-r-compund-debate-thread-move.html
Old 05-06-2007, 09:03 PM
z-u-later

Toyo RA-1s FTW. I went to an auto-x today and ran with my RA-1s. Took 1st in my class (BSP). Did not truly enjoy auto-x until I switched from my Potenzas (street setup) to the RA-1s (track setup). Bought them used for $300 (245/40/18) from Berget Racing.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:26 PM
dnguyent

Thanks for the input.

Marc, I think I met you at LS earlier this year. I'm the guy in the '04 silverstone running street tires. I'll see you May 21st at Thill too. This time, I'll be on some old Pirelli Corsas (which btw, are probably on the lower end of the scale for r-comps).

Half of my track days are driven on street tires. I do that to become more comfortable with higher slip angles. I also like running in the intermediate group, and have gotten to the point where I fit in well when I'm running street tires while others are using r-comps. I find it challenging trying to keep up with drivers running r-comps, and I end up learning how to go faster by pushing myself with a set of rather forgiving tires.

I made the jump to r-comps when I was about as fast as you are now at the those respective tracks. I did about half a dozen days on r-comps, got comfortable with the higher speeds, then recently jumped back onto street tires. I ended up dropping my lap times on street tires about 4 seconds.

I found it to be an educational and worthwhile experiment. I also like learning how to adapt to different tires.

Back on subject...I suggest you go with what so many people are happy with: RA1's
Old 05-07-2007, 02:32 PM
dnguyent

Thanks for the input.

Marc, I think I met you at LS earlier this year. I'm the guy in the '04 silverstone running street tires. I'll see you May 21st at Thill too. This time, I'll be on some old Pirelli Corsas (which btw, aren't that great).

I drive on street tires, whether it be RE040, PS2, SportMaxx, or T1-s, on half my track days. The other half on r-comps. I do that to become more comfortable with higher slip angles. I also like running in the intermediate group on street tires, and have gotten to the point where I fit in well when I'm running street tires while others are using r-comps. I find it challenging trying to keep up with drivers running r-comps, and I end up learning how to go faster by pushing myself with a set of rather forgiving tires.

I made the jump to r-comps when I was about as fast as you are now at the those respective tracks. I did about half a dozen days on r-comps, got comfortable with the higher speeds, then recently jumped back onto street tires. I ended up dropping my lap times on street tires about 4 seconds.

I found it to be an educational and worthwhile experiment.

Back on subject...I suggest you go with what so many people are happy with: RA1's

255/275 or 275/275 both work. You'll just have to adjust your air pressures or sway bars or driving technique a bit.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I love my Kumho MX's 275/45R and 245/45F. I am replacing tires this friday and going with 255/40 up front. I autocross a lot and run hard at the Tail of the Dragon at least once a year. (I actually could do another event with the tires on the car but have to change them for the trip to the Dragon next week.-about 2000 miles round-trip)

They are a little soft in the sidewall (at least for the 45 series) but stick very well for street rubber, they love the heat, and my favorite trait in these tires, they break away smoooooooooooothly.

These are street tires though (220 treadwear) If you want the stickiest tires you can drive some distance to the track with, some of the 100 treadwear tires like RA-1's or NT01's might be good for you but they will wear out very quickly as DD tires.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 05-07-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by tmak26b
Just to add how bad the Azenis are, I did one autox run in them. All it did was plow into the corner, and power slide off the corner. The RA1s don't really do that unless I am going nuts on them. Of course the problem was worse going from a 911 to a Z....

?????

The only negative feedback I have heard about these at the track is that they can overheat on longer road couses. - and not all drivers agree on that point. Are you talking about these Azenis?
http://www.falkentire.com/rt615_sizes.html (the ones people run at my track)

Quick Reply: My Next Track Tire?