Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Race Seat Data Information

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:49 PM
MSR350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Race Seat Data Information

I need to get race seats for the Z. I have been in / used Kirkey seats, Ultra Shield seats, Sparco EVO and Pro 2000 (I really like this seat), Race Tech RT 1000, Cobra Suzuka (another seat I like) and Imola, and a Cobeau Forza.

My Z is being used to take students and friends out in for fun trips around the track and drive it to and from work. I have a TeamTech Jet Pilot Harness Setup.

Specifically I am interest if anybody has opinions in regards to my usage on any of the seats I have listed below.

Bride
Buddy Club
JIC
Cobeau FX 1 Pro
Charge Speed
Megan Racing
Signal
Status
VeilSide
Old 05-15-2007, 05:12 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whichever seat you choose, make sure it meets the 24g 8855-1999 FIA homologation standards and accomodates a 6 point harness. Check the date stamp on the seat certification and buy the youngest you can get. SCCA and other sanctioning bodies are making noise about putting a 5 year expiration on seats.

Also, make sure your seat is mounted properly. I sent a guy home a few races ago when I noticed his brand new Sparoc Evo2 was mounted to the floor of his Golf with Home Depot self tapping sheet metal screws.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:19 PM
jimmyloose

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Also, make sure your seat is mounted properly. I sent a guy home a few races ago when I noticed his brand new Sparoc Evo2 was mounted to the floor of his Golf with Home Depot self tapping sheet metal screws.
!@#$$!@#$!#@$! yiKES!!!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:40 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I can't believe some of those names "manufacture" seats - are you not happy with what you've experimented with in the past? Have you sat in later versions of seats that you sat in years prior? To be honest, most of those names I'd steer very clear of...

Hilarious!
Old 05-15-2007, 06:31 PM
MSR350Z

Whichever seat you choose, make sure it meets the 24g 8855-1999 FIA homologation standards and accomodates a 6 point harness. Check the date stamp on the seat certification and buy the youngest you can get. SCCA and other sanctioning bodies are making noise about putting a 5 year expiration on seats.

Good valid comments and one that have to be considered. Thanks.

However, for my application I don't do SCCA. I instruct with the BMW club and NASA and run NASA time trials. Since I am a member at MSR Cresson I am responsible for my own stuff. So non-FIA homologation will not stop me from running, but .....

As far as mounting seats, been designing helicopters, talk about a million parts trying to go in all different directions at once.

Sorry I was not clear in my seats requirements specification. Let me try to be specific.

1) No running track events that require FIA homologation.

2) Car is used during MSR member track days for taking out friends for a ride.

3) Car is used for student ride along for instruction and demostration.

4) Car is used for Time trials at NASA Texas.

5) car will be driven to and from work.

Last edited by MSR350Z; 05-15-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:42 PM
MSR350Z

Originally Posted by John
Wow, I can't believe some of those names "manufacture" seats - are you not happy with what you've experimented with in the past? Have you sat in later versions of seats that you sat in years prior? To be honest, most of those names I'd steer very clear of...

Hilarious!
I am happy with what I have sat in, just the bank account is not as happy. In the pass I have gone the route of getting a Sparco from England. Friends have followed the same path. After shipping you save about $50 - $100 depending on exchange rate.

I am always open to something new. But could not find much information on a lot of the listed seats. Most of the seats are in the same price range as the Sparcos, and are constructed of Carbon Kelvar.

The point about FIA certification is important.

Was hoping that someone here had experience with the "unknowns"

Last edited by MSR350Z; 05-16-2007 at 03:30 AM.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:57 PM
daveh

What are people's thoughts on sliders. My stock seats are finally coming loose after nearly 3 years of running to the grocery store and back on sundays. I've got an install appt next week for a seat and I'm still debating on whether or not to get sliders. Are sliders a big safety 'no no' for track use?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:15 PM
first350

Originally Posted by MSR350Z
Specifically I am interest if anybody has opinions in regards to my usage on any of the seats I have listed below.

Bride
Buddy Club
JIC
Cobeau FX 1 Pro
Charge Speed
Megan Racing
Signal
Status
VeilSide

I have JIC's race bucket seat...just installed it. I really like the feel and look of it. (here's the write-up I did in the interiors forum: https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/272920-jic-seat-installed.html) in that thread, I had actually installed the Aluminum brackets backwards, so the seat was a little bit too high...I've since reversed it and the height is perfect for me w/ helmet on. (I'm around 6' tall, and run w/ my OE seats at their lowest setting)

Old 05-29-2007, 03:16 PM
first350

Originally Posted by daveh
What are people's thoughts on sliders. My stock seats are finally coming loose after nearly 3 years of running to the grocery store and back on sundays. I've got an install appt next week for a seat and I'm still debating on whether or not to get sliders. Are sliders a big safety 'no no' for track use?
Not sure about safety stuff, but it makes it a lot easier to get the seat bolted into the car...I have to slide it all the way forward to reach the rear bolts.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:22 PM
betamotorsports

Sliders are fine if they are the OEM sliders (which have been crash tested) or sliders designed for race cars. I typically use these universal sliders sold by Sube' Sports:

http://www.subesports.com/products/c...bra/prodID/676

Momo, Sparco, and others also sell universal slider kits that have passed FIA tests. Some of the JDM stuff I've seen is scary - things like threaded bolt holes in 6061 aliminum (no steel inserts).

Remember that a seat's FIA certification is only good if you use the seat manufacturer's seat mounts. Those mounts can be attached to a slider but I suggest you choose a slider that has a racing name and certification associated with it.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:31 PM
betamotorsports

Slider race story...

At a Laguna Seca ALMS race years ago I was crewing with the Champion Viper team. Right next door was the BMW GT team that had Hans Stuck and Jorg Muller as drivers. Well, Hans is a tall guy and Jorg isn't. I heard Hans explaining to the Speedvision TV crew (shows how long ago this was) how driver changes worked:

"We put the seat all the way back and I throw Jorg into it. I help him strap on his belts and then grab the slider bar. I jamb the seat all the way forward until Jorg's ***** (is that how you say it here) are crushed and he screams. I pop the in window net, slam the door, and he goes."

I didn't see this interview on the race reply. The Speedvision cameraman had to sit down on the pit wall because he was laughing so hard.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:46 PM
BloMyS14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by first350
Not sure about safety stuff, but it makes it a lot easier to get the seat bolted into the car...I have to slide it all the way forward to reach the rear bolts.
Does your seat rub on the door panel?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:25 PM
daveh

Sliders are fine if they are the OEM sliders (which have been crash tested) or sliders designed for race cars. I typically use these universal sliders sold by Sube' Sports:

http://www.subesports.com/products/c...bra/prodID/676

Momo, Sparco, and others also sell universal slider kits that have passed FIA tests. Some of the JDM stuff I've seen is scary - things like threaded bolt holes in 6061 aliminum (no steel inserts).

Remember that a seat's FIA certification is only good if you use the seat manufacturer's seat mounts. Those mounts can be attached to a slider but I suggest you choose a slider that has a racing name and certification associated with it.
None of the sliders that I see are actually FIA approved, which is the main reason I asked the question.
How is the quality of the cobra sliders? I may be getting a cobra seat so wouldn't mind getting the matching brand sliders. Do they have any play in them? I've seen some sparcos that moved around a bit.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 PM
first350

Originally Posted by BloMyS14
Does your seat rub on the door panel?
nope. The the bracket the connects the seat to the slider is slotted, so you can adjust the seat left/right...I mounted the seat in the car before TQ'ing everything down, then positioned the seat so that it wouldn't rub; I probably have close to an 1" clearance from the door to the seat.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:12 AM
betamotorsports

How is the quality of the cobra sliders? I may be getting a cobra seat so wouldn't mind getting the matching brand sliders. Do they have any play in them? I've seen some sparcos that moved around a bit.
I'm happy with the quality and Chad at Sube' Sports ran these for years in his rally car. Supposedly these sliders are copies of what Toyota ran in their Celica All Trac Rally cars over in Europe.