Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

350Z street-tire class?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 08:36 AM
PedalFaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid1
I believe that I very simply put that it was an additional negative for the Z running in SCCA. I'm sorry you can't wrap your mind around that.
I know for a fact that there are trailers for the S2000 that don't require drilling. That is my issue. But thanks for your 2 cents, I guess.
What you meant and what you typed were two different things, then. Forgive me if I didn't interpret "the 350Z gets the royal dick in the butt form the SCCA for Solo classing" as "the 350Z is classified using the same rules and guidelines as all other cars." Likewise, somehow a bunch of us didn't realize that "even if you have the $ for r-compounds, there's no way to transport them to events" really meant "I'm complaining because I think installing a trailer hitch for the 350Z will be less convenient than installing one for the 350Z".

You see threads like this one on every single car board, especially during the off season. Everyone's convinced that the generic rule set somehow screws their car more than everyone else's. The truth is some cars do get screwed more than others, but that's inevitable with a generic rule set, and having rules tailored for each individual car like in Club Racing's Touring classes isn't feasible for Solo given the number of different cars people want to run, and runs counter to Solo's philosophy of rules and class stability besides.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:51 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We need to create STU-ME so that each person has a chance of winning in their own personal car. Kinda like T-Ball and the Special Olympics. Everytone gets an identical trophy just for showing up and participating in a positive, sharing, and caring way.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ULLLOSE
So do you and your brother have 100% setup cars? He is on 245s and you are on 275s? You are both on shaved tires? You have both taken advantage of every ST allowance? If not your data is not of much value. Classes are based on the 100% setup car with top level drivers, anything less will make the results useless.
Here are our setups;

He has 245/45 615's, Cobb sways, and KW coilovers. -2.1 camber in the front and -1.5 rear. No HP mods.

I have 275/40R 255/40F MX's (I know you don't think these tires are all that good but John's [my brother] "test and tune" times haven’t changed since he switched from the MX's to the 615's. he says they "feel" better though.)
RS-R Ti2000 springs, Hotchkis sways, Quaife LSD. -1.4 camber front and -2 in the rear. That's where it was after I put the springs on, so I left it there. Only hp "mod" is a drop-in filter.

So no, the setups are not "complete" but with this info, there are fewer blanks to fill in. (Less bench-racing)

I could gain some time with a little more rubber up front, (if my front wheels were wider) and maybe some more - camber up front. But I don't think coilovers would gain me a lot of time over the present setup.

John and I both think he has more time to gain due to two things. First, his ride height is still a little too high because his factory wheels won't take 245/40's and he had rubbing issues when lowered on the 245/45's. Everyone has told him he needs to get his car a bit lower including me. (View of the road feels high like a bus compared to my Z.) The second, and more important, point is HP mods. My Z won't get much but he says there are indirect ways to get more boost out of the car, and gain a lot of HP, while staying within the rules. I think I/E alone gets around 30HP at the wheels.

So once the few remaining blanks are filled in, the existing STU car has more to gain than the Z and should not give the Z an unfair advantage.

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 10-20-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
We need to create STU-ME so that each person has a chance of winning in their own personal car. Kinda like T-Ball and the Special Olympics. Everytone gets an identical trophy just for showing up and participating in a positive, sharing, and caring way.

So you think I'm asking for a ringer when I'm willing to go against EVO's and STI's? I'm even willing to go head to head with S2K's, heads up.

I wonder what it would take to convince you I'm not looking for a "me" class.

How about 205 tread limit for the Z against all SS cars with no tire limits?
Old 03-05-2008, 07:26 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Bump for a great read...