Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

HPDE passenger's widow wins $4.5 million settlement

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 09:45 AM
gixracer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stein
When you die and someone else can be sued, your loved will pursue the lawsuit no matter how you feel about it!
you have to understand i have come a motorcycle racing background and have worked as an instructor for many years. my wife knows that if something goes wrong its probly my fault. if it was a mechanical failure from the manufacturer fine sue for faulty design or assembly i do not see many if at all any lawsuits over death at trackdays for motorcycles. hell one of the largest car dealer owners died at a trackday due to some sort of combination of rider error and mechanical failure---- not one lawsuit--not one

yes the organizers and track were at fault for not having the appropriate safety measures, they could have been better.
when dale ernhart died how much did his with sue the track, other drivers and car manufacturer for? he drives 200 mph 6 inches from a wall and has people merging in on the racing line.

but the driver also did not have the skill to drive that high of caliber car.
the car was tail happy on acceleration 600 hp will do that. what about the ceramic brakes on the car? !!!!!!!!!!!!!! god know porsche is awesome on the brakes
you brake to avoid hitting something not pressing down on the gas to go faster

back in the day ---note guard rail right next to the track
Attached Images  

Last edited by gixracer; 10-27-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:09 AM
saberphx

Since taking any car out on a road coarse will void its warranty why the **** does Porsche have to pay anything?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:15 AM
ZSpectrum

Originally Posted by MSR350Z
A dose of reality here:

I have been to too many open track days with too little instructors and too many egos. Most drivers “did not need” (their own opinions) instructors, I know cause I ask them. Reality is they have no business being on the track by themselves or with friends.

Like to call these people unguided projectiles.
Where do you run?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

I just realized that a lot of this is just hindsight=20/20. We are all sitting here, after the fact, and saying "bad place for a wall," I agree, it is a bad place/angle for a wall, but I, and everyone else here, have the benefit of hindsight. We all know, now, how bad things can go with that wall there but before the accident, there was a NASCAR race with that same wall in the same place and no problems. Hell, they had a kids' play area just on the other side of that wall, and no problems. All the drivers that ran the day of the crash saw the wall there and I didn't read of anyone refusing to drive because of the wall. (Who expects to loose control of a car in a straight line, on dry pavement?) Truth be told, I probably would have driven on that same track with the wall right where it was, and chalked it up to another hazard to avoid at that track
Old 10-27-2007, 12:29 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
snip...

with that wall there but before the accident, there was a NASCAR race with that same wall in the same place and no problems.

...snip
True, but NASCAR runs only on the oval portion of that track, not the infield road course where that wall was placed, so the NASCAR cars weren't ever in the vicinity of that wall during the race.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:11 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryM05
True, but NASCAR runs only on the oval portion of that track, not the infield road course where that wall was placed, so the NASCAR cars weren't ever in the vicinity of that wall during the race.

Ok, but I think my original point still stands.

....All the drivers that ran the day of the crash saw the wall there and I didn't read of anyone refusing to drive because of the wall. (Who expects to loose control of a car in a straight line, on dry pavement?) Truth be told, I probably would have driven on that same track with the wall right where it was, and chalked it up to another hazard to avoid at that track.
I was pointing out how easy it is to identify an unsafe condition after an accident happens. There is always some level of danger when driving fast cars in the vicinity of other solid objects. (I think people even crash and die on the salt flats with no other objects around.) After the crash, it's obvious that the angle / location of that wall should have been changed. But prior to the crash, it seems that everyone from the organizers to the drivers thought it was an acceptable risk.

As I said before, "Who expects to loose control of a car in a straight line, on dry pavement?" Judging from the fact that drivers chose to drive at the track with the wall in that location, at that angle, the answer seems to be, at least in part; "-No one that was on that track before crash."

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 10-27-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:23 PM
GaryM05

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, but I think my original point still stands.
I don't disagree with your point at all - just pointing out that the wall in question wouldn't have been in a position to cause trouble at the NASCAR event.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:38 AM
MSR350Z

Originally Posted by ZSpectrum
Where do you run?
MSR Cresson, TWS, Halett, and hopefully soon at Eagles Canyon. I instruct with NASA TX and the Lone Star BMW and run as many member days at MSR Cresson as possible.