Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

New shock offered by Koni.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007 | 07:35 PM
Gsedan35

Default New shock offered by Koni.

Just got tipped off on another Z site.

Koni is now offering a dedicated Race shock for the Z. It is not based on the current Twin tube shock like the Sport, TcKline or Truechoice setups. It is based on the Monotube 2812.

Is that the shock that Unitech ran in Grand Am? They did the R&D for the Truechoice coilover setup, but ran a different Koni shock in competition. Which would make we wonder if they had a hand in R&D on this shock for Koni.

Koni Race 2812 series
Mono tube shocks, double adjustable for rebound and compression seperately, front shocks have threaded bodies for height adjustment, Race-Valved Custom Damper Option, Limited Street Use, No Warranty, Lead Time approx 4wks. $3980 Retail

Read pages 5 and 6 detailed info on the 2812 series http://www.koni-na.com/pdfcatalogs/K...ortCatalog.pdf

Last edited by Gsedan35; 12-08-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-08-2007 | 07:55 PM
myG35zx

$4,000? Four thousand dollars? For shocks? Wow.
Old 12-08-2007 | 08:55 PM
PedalFaster

That price is not at all unusual for a full-bore race shock. A set of triple-adjustable Motons can run double that.
Old 12-08-2007 | 10:39 PM
PDX_Racer

I think that a set of DA Penskes are $5K+ -- at least that was the price I was looking at.
Old 12-09-2007 | 12:25 PM
Kolia

Originally Posted by myG35zx
$4,000? Four thousand dollars? For shocks? Wow.
Lol. I used to chat with the guys from the motorsport division of Prodrive. I was considering a Group N Rally gravel setup for my Suby. ONE (1) strut was 2,000 GBP... Roughly 4,000$...

16,000$ for a set of strut that would have been way way to stiff for any kind of street car...

Thanks for the info Gsedan
Old 12-09-2007 | 03:08 PM
myG35zx

^^^OMG!

Gsedan your breadth of knowledge is astounding. What profession are you in?
Old 12-09-2007 | 03:43 PM
racin

The 2812's have been available as a package for the Z for some time now. Unitech was using 2822's (4 way adjustable) on the Koni Challenge Z's. Penske's can be had for the Z in double adjustable for much less than $5k.
Old 12-09-2007 | 03:50 PM
SGSash
Vendor - Former Vendor

Unless I am mistaken, I belive the Koni shocks on my Unitech 350z are tripple adjustable, not 4 way.

They allow for rebound on top of the shock, as well as low and high speed bump on the shock.

If there is a second rebound adjustment I would love to know what it is

Edit: after doing some more research it does look like the 4way adjustable shock, as I don't see Koni offering a trippe adjustable. It appears as though the high speed adjustments are on the shock body and rebound and bump are adjusted elsewhere. Rebound is on top, however I'm not sure about bump! I'll update when I find out

Last edited by SGSash; 12-09-2007 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2007 | 08:56 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by racin
The 2812's have been available as a package for the Z for some time now. Unitech was using 2822's (4 way adjustable) on the Koni Challenge Z's. Penske's can be had for the Z in double adjustable for much less than $5k.
Curious, define "for some time now". These only recently showed up on the Koni-na web site and Gordon and Lee only talked about the regular shocks a year ago.

Thank you for clearing up which Koni shock Unitech used, I was going to revisit their web site to clarify.

I've known about the Penske's since late 03, but it was my understanding that was one set and they were a one off without any specific R&D on them. Of course this would be one of those issue I would actually like to be wrong on.

You can of course add Moton and JRZ to the list.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 12-09-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-09-2007 | 09:12 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by SGSash
Unless I am mistaken, I belive the Koni shocks on my Unitech 350z are tripple adjustable, not 4 way.

They allow for rebound on top of the shock, as well as low and high speed bump on the shock.

If there is a second rebound adjustment I would love to know what it is

Edit: after doing some more research it does look like the 4way adjustable shock, as I don't see Koni offering a trippe adjustable. It appears as though the high speed adjustments are on the shock body and rebound and bump are adjusted elsewhere. Rebound is on top, however I'm not sure about bump! I'll update when I find out
I don't know the rules for the Koni challenge I believe you’re going to be running in, are you going to be able to keep the 2822's on the car?
Old 12-10-2007 | 07:35 AM
betamotorsports

I know of at least two 350Zs running Penske 8760s (triples). All are cusom setups and all were about $9,500 including springs, monoballs, etc. A 4th adjustment (typically low speed rebound) is used for ride height control when underbody aero is important.
Old 12-10-2007 | 11:13 AM
myG35zx

It's strange but most Porsche's in the Rolex series suspensions are FAR less. That ($9,500) is ridiculous!
Old 12-10-2007 | 11:20 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Curious, define "for some time now". These only recently showed up on the Koni-na web site and Gordon and Lee only talked about the regular shocks a year ago.
Two years ago I talked with Phil at Truechoice about using the 2812 MkII dampers. Back then, it was $900 each, with mounts included, spring cost was separate. Using Hypercoils, I think the total came out to be right around 4k. Costs have increased considerably for both Al and steel, so 4k for just the dampers seems right. In fact, the new Truechoice catalogue lists the 2812's @ $1200 each, so 4k from Koni seems a good deal.

Will
Old 12-10-2007 | 11:35 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Not to divert this thread too far, but our double adjustable 350Z/G35 Koni group buy remains active at $1000/set. PM me for further details if interested.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming: I wish I could afford a set of those 2812s myself!
Old 12-10-2007 | 11:56 AM
betamotorsports

It's strange but most Porsche's in the Rolex series suspensions are FAR less. That ($9,500) is ridiculous!
Supply and demand. There are orders of magnitude more Porsche's running triple Penske's around the world in Pro racing series then 350Zs. I built a custom set of 8760 struts for my 240Z and was able to sell them used for $7,500. My cost on machining and parts was that much.
Old 12-10-2007 | 10:08 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Resolute
Two years ago I talked with Phil at Truechoice about using the 2812 MkII dampers. Back then, it was $900 each, with mounts included, spring cost was separate. Using Hypercoils, I think the total came out to be right around 4k. Costs have increased considerably for both Al and steel, so 4k for just the dampers seems right. In fact, the new Truechoice catalogue lists the 2812's @ $1200 each, so 4k from Koni seems a good deal.

Will
As alway's thanks for the post Will. I was just on the Phone with Phil a few day's about asking about shortening my Koni SA rears (might as well get phase IV rears it turns out). Was he talking about modifying stock 2812's or pulling 350Z spec 2812's off the shelf?

I wonder how the 2812's would fare against JRZ. Both are double adjustable monotube's. Last info I had put them at a low cost. Koni want's us to know that the 2812 has a great valving system going for it, though JRZ has it own valving too.

JRZ RS Twintube high pressure gas DA shocks
$3500 Speedware Motorsports 425-869-5680
http://www.theracersgroup.com
Non-remote resevoir DA shocks with independent adjustment for compression and rebound dampning. Front shocks have built in adjustable spring perches.
Large 22mm piston rod for direct response compression control
Large 46mm piston for direct response rebound control
Large non-preloaded deflective disc stack for traction and smooth damping control
Orifice rebound adjustment for exact fluid control
Unique compression valving system in fluid/gas reservoir
Large gas volume capable of accepting large fluid displacements without harshness
Unique orifice adjustment for precise compression damping tuning
Very responsive damping force adjustment system

Last edited by Gsedan35; 12-11-2007 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-11-2007 | 02:18 AM
jmark

Rob & Jason both members here run JRZ's on their T2 350Z's.
Old 12-11-2007 | 06:51 AM
Jason H

As Mark mentioned, I’m running the triple JRZs on my T2 car. Last year I was running the Koni Yellows and really the only change I made to the car in ’07 were the JRZs. The proof is in the results….3 out of 4 National race wins. I don’t know how they compare to the Koni doubles, but I’ve been very happy with the JRZ triples and I’m sure the JRZ doubles will make an awesome damper for the more budget strapped track guy/racer. Aren’t we all budget strapped

Drive on!
J

HendersonMotorsports.com
Old 12-11-2007 | 07:26 AM
jmark

Jason H,

What does 08 look like racing wise? I hear Nissan Motorsports US maybe pulling the plug.
Old 12-11-2007 | 07:54 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
As alway's thanks for the post Will. I was just on the Phone with Phil a few day's about asking about shortening my Koni SA rears (might as well get phase IV rears it turns out). Was he talking about modifying stock 2812's or pulling 350Z spec 2812's off the shelf?

I wonder how the 2812's would fare against JRZ. Both are double adjustable monotube's. Last info I had put them at a low cost. Koni want's us to know that the 2812 has a great valving system going for it, though JRZ has it own valving too.

JRZ monotube DA shocks
$3500 Speedware Motorsports 425-869-5680
http://www.theracersgroup.com/parts/...cks/shocks.htm
Non-remote resevoir DA shocks with independent adjustment for compression and rebound dampning. Front shocks have built in adjustable spring perches.
Large 22mm piston rod for direct response compression control
Large 46mm piston for direct response rebound control
Large non-preloaded deflective disc stack for traction and smooth damping control
Orifice rebound adjustment for exact fluid control
Unique compression valving system in fluid/gas reservoir
Large gas volume capable of accepting large fluid displacements without harshness
Unique orifice adjustment for precise compression damping tuning
Very responsive damping force adjustment system
That's a great question. I didn't know there was a JRZ option already made for the Z33 until David Muramoto mentioned a while back that several T2 guys were running the 3-way JRZs. I knew A-Long up in Seattle had a set of 2-ways for sale, they were JRZ clubsports, and I almost bought them. They were a one-off custom job, iirc.

I have been looking at the Koni 2812s for so long because the damping rates that Truechoice has available is straight from Unitech track tresting. When I discussed this with Phil, the rates would be the slightly stiffer from the phase IV, but with the lighter and more repeatable 2812 Mk2 shocks. I could have gone much stiffer, but Phil aslo said the range of valving could be wider if I wanted, with a more discernable difference between each setting. I figured I'd just go a little stiffer from the Phase IV's and re-valve later if I wanted. They were off the shelf dampers and not specific for the Z33, but that wasn't an issue since they have numerous lengths and stroke options to pick from, but the hardware would be custom. However, since they already had the Z33 R&D done, the mounts were not an issue to fab for the 2812. I also wanted the rears inverted.

That was a while ago, and now to see the 2-way JRZs for 3500, that's a good question as to which one to pick. I have my own car torn down in the garage on jackstands, and am TIG welding some spots on the chassis this winter. The front and rear suspension arms are heading to Fort Collins and I'm doing some FE Analysis work on them. I'm machining Al bushings right now for them. When it's all said and done, this will be a car designed for 90% track days on the two new road courses being built (crossing fingers they are completed), and I'll have to have my mind made up about suspension options. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the two that I would realize.

I've used the JRZ shocks on our Formula SAE car, and can't say anything negative. But I have no real world testing or use that I can compare them to, either. I like Truechoice's service, and that's why I've been leaning towards the 2812s. But I don't mind saving $500 on the JRZs.

That link you posted doesn't work. I visited the site, and saw the JRZ general info page, was that what you linked, or was there a specific page for the 350Z?

Thanks for posting the info, by the way. Are you considering upgrading from your current hardware, then? Let me know what you decide and what factors swayed you if you do upgrade, I'd appreciate your feedback.

Will

Quick Reply: New shock offered by Koni.