Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

New brakes before or after first track day?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:07 PM
first350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdKEG
not directed directly towards you "first350"

But the question has to be asked.. . Why spend more money buying OEM pads than like a mild track pads like Hawk HP plus or Cobalt Friction GTs.. .

The added security is like wearing a nut cup in baseball.. . you wear them just b/c SHAT can happen!!

spare pads are a must have in your tool box when you do HPDE's. It's a cost that shouldn't be avoided. If I had the money, I'd even carry a extra transmission in a trailer! From my research, it sounds like something to consider with these 350Zs

yep - I went to the first HPDE without really thinking that the pads could wear out that quickly. I now have a set of dedicated pads/rotors for track days
Old 03-01-2008, 02:49 AM
mistico

As some mentioned here, consider getting better/extra pads.

On the first time out on the Z, it had only 1500 miles. I couldn't finish the day because the pads were shot(metal to metal). If you don't want to get track pads, at least take an extra set of whatever pads you have to at least finish the day.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:18 PM
frizille

Hey grumpy, congratulations on taking the plunge. After the first one you're pretty much screwed cause you'll be hooked and before you know it you'll have quite a bit invested in it - all for the better.

TGP was my first track a few years ago, been there 5-6 times now with 2 events planned (on the 19th and ZNationals), and its a great beginner track. Lots of run off room in the grass/sand and almost no cement walls. The first time I took my Z there, bone stock around 6,000 milesish or so, I tore through the stock pads and rotors (using OEM fluid because I didn't know any better) which forced me to limp back to Atlanta with a questionable brake system. Based on my experiences and my first track day I'd do the following:

- pick up a set of track pads, the carbotech's are really nice or the Ferodo 2500 pads I've been using have worked well too (although they are for "light" track days as their a street/track pad rather than track/track pad)
- swap out the brake fluid for some Motul RBF 600 or ATA Super Blue
- bring the stock pads as a backup and a little bit of brake fluid in case you want to bleed out the brakes at the track. There will be plenty of folks with tools/jacks so wouldn't worry about dragging all that out there.

All told you'll be out about $300 but its better than the $400 repair bill for chewed rotors and pads not to mention the extra peace of mind. If worse comes to worse though there is a Nissan dealer right off I20 at the Munford exit which is about 20 minutes from the track.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:27 PM
grumpysmurf

^ thanks for the dealership tip! I'll keep an eye on them and if it looks bad I'll skip the remaining sessions. Uncle Sam is dictating new pads won't happen before the event. Changing pads/rotors is beyond my skill set at the moment too.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by grumpysmurf
^ thanks for the dealership tip! I'll keep an eye on them and if it looks bad I'll skip the remaining sessions. Uncle Sam is dictating new pads won't happen before the event. Changing pads/rotors is beyond my skill set at the moment too.
Actually, I would still take a set of pads with you. My guess is there will be someone there that can do the change in 15-20 minutes and Track people are almost always willing to help out. But to be honest, I doubt you will wear out a fairly new set of pads on ytou first event. Most of your time will be spent on just getting oriented on what's going on, and trying to manage the information overload. It will be a blast though, and it's very addictive. Don't expect to be mario in the first event. heck, I have been doing this for years now and still learning new things everytime.

Just have fun.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:50 AM
first350

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Actually, I would still take a set of pads with you. My guess is there will be someone there that can do the change in 15-20 minutes and Track people are almost always willing to help out. But to be honest, I doubt you will wear out a fairly new set of pads on ytou first event. Most of your time will be spent on just getting oriented on what's going on, and trying to manage the information overload. It will be a blast though, and it's very addictive. Don't expect to be mario in the first event. heck, I have been doing this for years now and still learning new things everytime.

Just have fun.
+1...first time on the track you'll be trying to remember what all the flag colors mean, remembering what corner is coming up next, listening to your instructor, and trying to feel what the car is doing...not to mention taking time to just have the biggest grin on your face
Old 03-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Billhyco

by far the most fun you will ever have behind the steering wheel with your pants on, or atleast zipped up
Old 03-06-2008, 04:36 AM
frizille

Originally Posted by grumpysmurf
If you need help with anything let me know. I'll have tools and such at the track. BTW - learning to change pads and bleed brakes was the first "mechanic" thing I learned once I started tracking .