Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

New brakes before or after first track day?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:43 PM
grumpysmurf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New brakes before or after first track day?

So I signed up for track day at Nationals, deflowering both myself track wise and my 08 enth with 2100 miles on it. I am 39 and have no intentions of pushing any limits and hurting something I've made 2 payments on. Given that, I know I'd like to upgrade the brakes as my first major mod, future track days notwithstanding. Should I upgrade them now, having a safer event, or trash the existing ones and replace afterwards? I'd also appreciate any helmet suggestions - I've searched around and can't find much under $250 which is rich at this time. TIA
Old 02-26-2008, 05:48 PM
thinking

Use stock brakes first, then you can see the dif that an upgrade makes.

For helmets, G-Force makes cheap Snell certified helmets.
Try saferacer.com
Old 02-26-2008, 06:25 PM
bigdaddy

Without a doubt...use the stock brakes for the first event. Hell, use them for the first several events until they truly become a liability to your driving. You will become a much better driver by learning with what you have and working your way up into modifications slowly.

As thinking suggested, G-Force makes great budget helmets. I wear this one and have been very happy with it.

http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-pro...productid=1269

Have fun!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by bigdaddy
Without a doubt...use the stock brakes for the first event. Hell, use them for the first several events until they truly become a liability to your driving. You will become a much better driver by learning with what you have and working your way up into modifications slowly.

As thinking suggested, G-Force makes great budget helmets. I wear this one and have been very happy with it.

http://www.saferacer.com/g-force-pro...productid=1269

Have fun!

+100000000

first track event right + new car = you not having to worry about using up your brakes all that much. as you settle in toward the end of the day you may feel where you could benefit from something different pad wise, but learn the car, learn not only the cars boundries, but yours as well. a stock Z is much more track qualified then some people believe.

good looking helmet that is SA2005 at a even better price.. http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...id=1360&cid=18

Last edited by Billhyco; 02-26-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by thinking
Use stock brakes first, then you can see the dif that an upgrade makes.

For helmets, G-Force makes cheap Snell certified helmets.
Try saferacer.com
Agree.

Drive with the car as is. Learn to make the best of the car as is. I like the OEM brakes, and find little problem with a, say, 20 minute session. My braking technique may be considered aggressive: whether HPDE or autocross, I hit the brakes hard and short. In others words when I brake I am serious. I found that the hard and short technique works better than “on the brakes lightly.” They cool reasonably quickly.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 PM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by davidv
My braking technique may be considered aggressive: whether HPDE or autocross, I hit the brakes hard and short. In others words when I brake I am serious. I found that the hard and short technique works better than “on the brakes lightly.” They cool reasonably quickly.
It's usually called "braking late & braking hard." That's a good technique that works well with a good brake system like the Z. Once you've mastered this technique, then you can move up to the next level by learning "left foot braking."

Last edited by z-u-later; 02-26-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:17 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by z-u-later
It's usually called "braking late & braking hard." That's a good technique that works well with a good brake system like the Z. Once you've mastered this technique, then you can move up to the next level by learning "left foot braking."

actually its called Threshold braking. but yes, works better then long dragging the brake applications. Less heat build up.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:11 AM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What track will you be on?

Different Tracks layouts make a HUGE difference on brake wear!

Originally Posted by grumpysmurf
So I signed up for track day at Nationals, deflowering both myself track wise and my 08 enth with 2100 miles on it. I am 39 and have no intentions of pushing any limits and hurting something I've made 2 payments on. Given that, I know I'd like to upgrade the brakes as my first major mod, future track days notwithstanding. Should I upgrade them now, having a safer event, or trash the existing ones and replace afterwards? I'd also appreciate any helmet suggestions - I've searched around and can't find much under $250 which is rich at this time. TIA
Old 02-27-2008, 08:11 AM
SteveA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on your future plans. If you are planning to do a lot of track work and you know you will upgrade anyway, I say do it now and store away your pristine OEM rotors and calipers for resale or to put back on the car later.

I only say that because my original brembos and rotors now sit in my garage blackened and burnt after a year of going along the bit by bit upgrade route only to end up with Stoptechs anyway. Now I wish I had saved all the money and frustration spent on fried pads, dust seals and fading brakes and just done this in the beginning.

That's just my experience, maybe your tracking won't be so brutal. Of course there is nothing wrong with driving the car with standard brakes, you just have to accept the limitations and not overcook them.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:25 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by z-u-later
I knew there was a fancy name for it.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:17 AM
grumpysmurf

Thanks to all for the comments. By nature I am a long and easy braker, so I will definately take that to heart. I will have three 30 minute sessions at Talladega Gran Prix raceway. It looks like it can only be run one direction or the other from the videos. Wouldn't it be nice to have the NASCAR style brake cameras? =)

Thanks too for the helmet suggestions. Looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and shell out some money for a decent one. I guess I can always use it with my next girlfriend if this track thing doesn't work out.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:46 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In my experience with these types of events (Zcon and other large group affairs), you are unable to get much going in the car in the beginner groups. That-said, your stock brakes should be fine, and you shouldn't need to repair/replace them afterwards. I good brake bleed is a good sanity check afterwards though.

W/r to the helmet, if you can't rent/borrow one to save the coin today, I suggest getting a good open-faced SA2005 helmet from Bell/Simpson, etc., since your car has airbags. If you want to upgrade later or you keep at it, you can spend the coin on a better helmet.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:02 PM
grumpysmurf

Originally Posted by scotts300
In my experience with these types of events (Zcon and other large group affairs), you are unable to get much going in the car in the beginner groups. That-said, your stock brakes should be fine, and you shouldn't need to repair/replace them afterwards. I good brake bleed is a good sanity check afterwards though.
Yeah I don't have my hopes up for any 130mph straights - I expect a noob-fest. Gotta start somewhere I guess. I wonder how long till one reaches "intermediate". I think I will go ahead and get a decent helmet. As much as I burn on other stupid crap, I know I would regret it should something happen.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:07 AM
6spdKEG

My take with 6 HPDEs under my belts is that In noob groups you tend to drag your brakes more than in a more experienced groups hence requiring a good brake pad and sometimes better than OEM. In my case my first 2 HPDE weekends involved me being faster that just about my WHOLE group.. . I literally lapped 14 of 18 cars in my second HPDE session ever. I started like 3/4 of the way back thinking these BMWs, porsches and vettes were gonna have they way . My instructor told me I need to start in the front from there on.. .

this is one of those YMMV (your mileage may very)

In my first HPDE with a descent brake setup I experienced fading with Track pads (carbotech AX6). I went with more aggressive pads(XP8) the second time and still fadded. I then upgraded diameter, caliper and pads to full track duty compound.. . This is on a 210whp 2450lb race weight Honda Civic

Why pay for an entry fee, cook your brakes and then be out for a day.. . . I live 5 + hours from the tracks I go to and going home early would be a major bummer.

I suggest you take an extra set of track rated pads to the event. If you don't use them, get a refund for them.. . Maybe try to source some from a local speed shop.. .

I take extra rotors and pads to the track. Cracked rotors happen, its a fact!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:15 AM
DuMA_

You can get Helmets much cheaper on Ebay.
here's one for only 79.99 link
Old 02-29-2008, 10:23 AM
6spdKEG

Originally Posted by grumpysmurf
Yeah I don't have my hopes up for any 130mph straights - I expect a noob-fest. Gotta start somewhere I guess. I wonder how long till one reaches "intermediate". I think I will go ahead and get a decent helmet. As much as I burn on other stupid crap, I know I would regret it should something happen.
you'll C some 110-120mph straights though and when the turn is a 90 at the end of them, you are gonna be using some brakes!!!!

2480+180lb instructor = 2660/205 = 12.98 lbs/whp
3350+2(180) = 3660/245 = 15.10 lb/whp

Not real close you have more torque than I so I think you can grab about the same speeds as me if you carry your corner speed well.

I was doing a 115-120 mph at Heartland Park Topeka KS on the main straight up on top of the hill 110 on the other. Compare your track to that one. full config 2.5mi
http://hpt.com//store/catalog/road_configs.php

I can do 125 on two of the straights here full config
http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/2006/rc_maps.asp
Old 02-29-2008, 10:34 AM
first350

FWIW, I burned through my OEM brakes pads on my first track day w/ the Z (around 3K miles on it, so the pads were near 100%)...I had already done a few track events, and new the course. IMO you may want to bring an extra set of OEM pads just in case (even a used set, just something to get you home if needed)...or just keep checking pad depth between sessions (My rears went out before the fronts).
Old 02-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Billhyco

Originally Posted by DuMA_

man your right, they sure are cheaper....... if you need a motorcycle helmet.

that is a "M" rated helmet = motorcycle

must have a "SA" rated helmet = Special Activity (i think that is what it means)

and that is a 2000 helmet...which means in about 2 years most clubs won't accept it. some will accept 15 year old ratings, but most are 10.

Last edited by Billhyco; 02-29-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:01 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DuMA_
FYI: The local drag strips do not accept 2000 helmets anymore.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:24 PM
6spdKEG

Originally Posted by first350
FWIW, I burned through my OEM brakes pads on my first track day w/ the Z (around 3K miles on it, so the pads were near 100%)...I had already done a few track events, and new the course. IMO you may want to bring an extra set of OEM pads just in case (even a used set, just something to get you home if needed)...or just keep checking pad depth between sessions (My rears went out before the fronts).
not directed directly towards you "first350"

But the question has to be asked.. . Why spend more money buying OEM pads than like a mild track pads like Hawk HP plus or Cobalt Friction GTs.. .

The added security is like wearing a nut cup in baseball.. . you wear them just b/c SHAT can happen!!

spare pads are a must have in your tool box when you do HPDE's. It's a cost that shouldn't be avoided. If I had the money, I'd even carry a extra transmission in a trailer! From my research, it sounds like something to consider with these 350Zs

Quick Reply: New brakes before or after first track day?