Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

VDC and road course racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:24 AM
joeygill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Axelerate
I disable the yaw sensor behind the shifter.
I do the same on my G. It basically turns off traction control entirely (VDC and Slip light stays on constantly). Keep in mind that this is different than simply hitting that VDC button to "turn it off", because it isn't 100% off. I found it was very difficult (impossible?) to do proper trail braking into a turn, without disconnecting the yaw sensor entirely.

If you have good car control, understand the dynamics of the car, and know what you're doing on track/autocross, I'd definitely recommend disconnecting it entirely.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:27 PM
KPierson
Banned

Originally Posted by SteveA
^^
KP Technologies,
As I understand it this is a module which stops VDC from resetting itself to on each time the car is started which may be handy, but the VDC off parameters are still the same as stock, which does not disable the yaw sensor.

How about some wizadry that turns the yaw sensor on and off with the VDC selection?

That would be worth buying and save disconnecting the harness or cutting the yaw sensor wires to fit a switch.
If we did include something like that you would still have to cut the wire to run it through our module!
Old 04-05-2008, 12:45 AM
SteveA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^

How about a piggyback harness, so the yaw sensor harness can plug into an intermediate module that plugs into the yaw sensor? Then it could be returned to stock anytime with no wire cuts.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:18 AM
KPierson
Banned

I haven't seen the harness, but typically it isn't worth it. Making a piggyback harness would add ~$150 in cost to a $40 product. Piggyback harnesses arn't cheap to make, especially in small quantities. You would be best off simply unplugging the yaw sensor or even unplugging the VDC/TCS controller.

All the wires that go to the yaw sensor are copper, they can be cut and reconnected with no permanent damage. If I get a chance I want to look at the signals coming back from the yaw sensor and see if we can mimic it's output to the point where the car thinks that the yaw sensor is there but it is inactive.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:25 AM
SteveA

Fair enough if it's not cost effective.

I have the yaw sensor unplugged. There are no issues other than I can't turn the VDC back on conveniently for daily driving and the VDC and Slip lights are permanently on, but it is worth it for the improved track ability.

It would be great to have the convenience for completely on/off at the button select. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:59 AM
kwadell

Default Yaw sensor disconnect...

A few questions on the yaw sensor disconnect after reading the replies...It sounds like when the yaw sensor is disconnected it will turn dash lights on. If you plug the sensor back in for the streets will the dash lights go off and stay off or does it take some sort of a dealer reset once the lights come on? Also, has anyone taken pictures of the unplugging the yaw sensor? I see the explaination of how to do it. Just curious if anyone's ever taken pictures? I'm headed to disconnect the sensor and give this a try. I've always thought trail braking didn't drive the rotation I was expecting so I'm hoping this improves the situation a ton.

I have to say, I always run with the VDC off at the track and have accidently experimented with it being on or off. (ie- a few times I forgot to turn it off at the start of the track session) I've always thought whoever calibrated and tuned the Z VDC did an amazing job. As a rookie driver I could feel the VDC kick in for yaw control and throttle modulation when slip occurs. And when it kicked in, I had very poor driving technique and the system knew it. A ton of track days later, I can see that if you are driving "right" the VDC will almost never kick in accept for slip detection. And I have noticed that even when it is off, you can feel it gently modulate at the limit. I've also run with VDC on and off at the track in the rain. Wow, that's where you see just how good the tuning of the VDC is on the Z. In the rain, the VDC will recover a lot of driver error. It's amazing how well it will straighten out the Z in an understeer or oversteer situation. You can feel the system modulate braking at all 4 corners and instantly straighten the Z out. So if I'm on the street and it's raining the VDC is on.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:31 PM
hockiman90

i just went to my first track day yesterday at summit point main and the VDC is a complete pain in the a**...within the first three laps my REAR rotors were warped because of the VDC kicking in after my first session i turned it off every time and the warping didnt really get that much worse but whenever i stopped from 100+ to go into turn 1 the whole car shook pretty bad but the wheel was steady so im positive its the rears which is unbelievable our stock brakes absolutely suck!
Old 05-02-2008, 03:23 PM
laze1

I recommend that you disconnect the battery when ever dis-connecting / re-connecting the electronics in any modern car. So when disconnecting the Yaw sensor, just disconnect the Battery to prevent any possible damage to components.

I'm not saying that things will blow up if you don't, it is just a good habit to get into when doing this kinda work.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Kolia

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by laze1
I recommend that you disconnect the battery when ever dis-connecting / re-connecting the electronics in any modern car. So when disconnecting the Yaw sensor, just disconnect the Battery to prevent any possible damage to components.

I'm not saying that things will blow up if you don't, it is just a good habit to get into when doing this kinda work.
Lol!!!

I agree!

A friend of mine accidentally deployed the side airbags in his car while installing a new radio...
Old 05-03-2008, 04:41 PM
laze1

The service manual instructs you to disconnect the battery for almost all tasks..just so the you don't accidentally deploy an airbag.....and kill yourself doing it.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:26 PM
RKnight

Have you guys seen the VDC tuning box for the VDC made by the Austrailian company Autotronics in another posting? It allows you to tune the VDC to perform the way you want.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyYsqIvN2rw

Last edited by RKnight; 07-11-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:51 PM
laze1

Yes, I looked at it briefly..however it cost about $650...disconnecting the Yaw sensor is free...

I can pop up my console and disconnect the yaw sensor in about 15 minutes now.....I don't even put the screws back in to hold the console in place..not rattles or other problems...and I saved $650 to spend on tires and brakes

Originally Posted by RKnight
Have you guys seen the VDC tuning box for the VDC made by the Austrailian company Autotronics in another posting? It allows you to tune the VDC to perform the way you want.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Fab_vr6

hey guys, need some help here.
I had disconnected the vdc sensor before, however, last year i had the dealer replaced my tranny, and yesterday i removed the center console and i found out that the placement of the sensor looks a bit different now. i remember last year i pulled a white connector out from the Bosch sensor, but now there is only a white connector attached to the console upside down, while there is another connector connecting to the Bosch unit (black), but it seems very tight and doesnt seems like it can be disconnected. can someone help me?

i have a 2003 track model but i got the latest tranny from the warranty replacement

Gary

Last edited by Fab_vr6; 05-14-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:34 PM
stuntman

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You're at a track to push the limits of your car and to improve yourself as a driver. You don't need to have your hand, turn the VDC off and work on yourself!

Plus the VDC is pretty archaic and no where near a $10K traction control system (which you really shouldn't have until you mastered driving without it).

Old 05-15-2008, 03:27 AM
laze1

The Yaw sensor is the little black box closest to the shifter...the other unit at the rear is the Air bag sensor...DO NOT MESS WITH THAT ONE!

Yep, the 1st time I disconnected mine was a total PIA,,,,So I ended up using 2 very small screw drivers to push the little tabs to remove the Yaw sensor wiring harness connector, That was still very hard and frustrating.

So once I finally got it removed, it took off the little piece of plastic from the wiring harness connector plug so that it will not "click" BACK into place when I reinstall the plug into the yaw sensor. This makes it SO MUCH easier to de-install/re-install the plug from the yaw sensor. So now I can just lift the console a little, reach my hand under it and gently pull the cable/plug from the Yaw sensor will no problems,,,just reverse the process to re-install.

Note: ALWAYS DISCONNECT THE BATTERY WHEN DOING THIS! (OR ANY ELECTRICAL WORK ON ANY CAR)

Originally Posted by Fab_vr6
hey guys, need some help here.
I had disconnected the vdc sensor before, however, last year i had the dealer replaced my tranny, and yesterday i removed the center console and i found out that the placement of the sensor looks a bit different now. i remember last year i pulled a white connector out from the Bosch sensor, but now there is only a white connector attached to the console upside down, while there is another connector connecting to the Bosch unit (black), but it seems very tight and doesnt seems like it can be disconnected. can someone help me?

i have a 2003 track model but i got the latest tranny from the warranty replacement

Gary

Last edited by laze1; 05-15-2008 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:50 PM
RKnight

A friend (who I told about the White Line VDC controler I mentioed in the above post), is going to test it on his Redline Time Attack Z and a article about the results may be written up in Sport Compact Car Magazine.