Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

OMG The Z is AWESOME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 03:35 PM
AznSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG The Z is AWESOME!!!

A noobs experience to HPDE's:

Just got back from my 2nd High Performance Driving School. This time I was able to push my car a lot more. This was held on a local track that is a bit small (1.5 mile or something) but everyone says it's got almost every type of turn / elevation change you will see at tracks across the nation.

Now my car is pretty much stock except the HKS exhaust (which I must say sounds bada$$ when WOT). But what surprised me the most was the level of braking I was able to do with the stock brakes/pads. At first I thought I was braking pretty hard, but was always cautious about locking up the brakes. This was one of the things I told my instructor I wanted to work on before we went out. During each session he would tell me to brake harder and harder. Well finally in my last session he's like "Ok I want you to brake as hard as you can". I did that and OMG I didn't know my brakes were so powerful. I knew they bit hard on the street, but man, I was hard on these, pretty much standing on the pedal, and the Z slowed so quickly in such a short distance. I was able to decrease my braking point by like 100 ft.

My instructor also went out in my car and showed me what the car could do. He said the car was setup amazingly and felt like I had aftermarket suspension cuz there was minimal body roll for a stock car. Only thing he said I should try to fix is the car had a bit of understeer and I should play with tire pressure. Well I got a set of 18x8.5 Rays forged track wheels with 255's all around coming so that should help out (currently running 235R / 225F).

Anyways, sorry for the long story. Just wanted to share my noob experience

Oh last thing, I finally realized what everybody means by the Z having a good amount of torque. Cuz coming out of turns I was able to pull away from the RX8's and BMW 3 series while they were bogging a bit.

Conclusion to the story: The Z is amazing in stock form, can't wait till I improve my skills enough to where I need to start upgrading parts.

Woohoo!!!!!!

Old 06-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool....glad you had fun....My 1st HPDE event they told me they ran out of instructors so I was like uhhh- ok.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:44 PM
saberphx

Now you know why people spend so much on this car...
Old 06-06-2008, 03:44 PM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

sweet!
Old 06-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Shiawase

I share your enthusiasm! I was at the HPDE in Gingerman. When you do more HPDEs, let me know, and I'd definitely like to join you.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Mcheng

Originally Posted by saberphx
Now you know why people spend so much on this car...

10 HPDE's at $150-350, #11 this weekend.
Parts, Brakes, Fluids and Tires spend so far approx $8000
Given the chance to chase down Vetts, Mustangs, Evo's, Sti's and etc ....

Priceless
Old 06-06-2008, 08:06 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice write-up. I REALLY need to break-in my new engine! Look forward to runnin with you sometime.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:09 AM
OPTIMO

Once you up your braking level you'll find that the stock pads are very limiting. I will agree though that they do hold up fairly well and in stock form the Z is more than capable for a few laps of solid braking.

I ran stock pads in my first event and ran Carbotech XP10s in my second. HUGE difference.

Glad you had fun and are treating the Z to track time. Very cool pics btw.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:58 PM
AznSky

yeah my list of mods are in the following order:

1) wheels/tires are already on the way
2) swaybar

then i'm contemplating either roll bar with 5 point harness, or coilovers or pads.

But yeah, this new lifestyle is amazing.

And steve and shiawese, we definitely have to go to an event together
Old 06-08-2008, 07:04 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Other than brake pads, I would really hold off on other modifications until you have a bit more seat time. Not that they won't make a difference, but you will be able to feel the car more over time and also find your driving style.

It would be a shame to make modifications and then change it all out once you really start getting a rhythm and such. Right now that money is best spent on more seat time.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:31 PM
garage-c

^^^^ word ^^^^

+10^2549 for Carbotech XP10's. Just did an event this weekend on them with the stock brembo's & never got a hint of fade.

I'd also like to add, Castrol SRF & Goodrige lines FTMFW!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:31 PM
dmoffitt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this discussion w/ some people today:

1) BRAKES (see #2)
2) Safety (roll bar, seats, harness)
3) Tires
4) Suspension
5) See #3
6) Engine

IMO that's the order things should be done, yet most do it the exact opposite and hot-rod a car BEFORE dealing w/ the important stuff.

BTW, I'll second (third?) seat time > mods. I took my turbo kit off and lost ~200hp yet I still turn better lap times by a HUGE margin than I ever did with it... experience > horsepower. I was chasing down a very experienced driver in a 996 today (which even the BASE model came with 320 crank horse) and brakes and extra front grip was what let me get by him eventually
Old 06-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Shiawase

Originally Posted by AznSky

2) swaybar

then i'm contemplating either roll bar with 5 point harness, or coilovers or pads.

Yeah, after my first HPDE, I really finished off my old rotors and brake pads. Changed them this past weekend (and flushed out the brake fluid for some Dot4 stuff) and have some new oil in the engine. I'm ready for the rest of the season! Next on my list of things to get is definitely new tires.

The new brakes definitely feel a lot better than stock, I must say. I've been finding myself stopping short of where I used to stop.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:38 AM
AznSky

yeah I definitely understand the importance of seat time versus mods. I pretty much plan on running stock (besides more aggressive street tires) for the rest of the season. Next season however.........
Old 06-10-2008, 07:09 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I need to do this. I have missed plenty of events at sebring, homestead etc...

Chris
Old 06-10-2008, 08:13 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by AznSky

2) swaybar

Do you know what it takes to get a good roll cage installed? I doubt it....

Why would you say you want "coilovers"?? Do you even know why or where to start? Why would coilovers be better than a good matched shock/spring setup?

Just things to think about.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:28 AM
cbasil
Banned

honestly, start with suspension first. as you should be able to notice by now during your driving classes, the car tends to want to understeer during cornering. after I bought some JIC Magic coilovers and started autocrossing with them on, it made a huge difference. Still fine tuning them, but overall the I don't feel the understeer anymore. then go with brakes and new tires. what trim is your car? base, track, etc.? honestly if you don't autocross, there is no reason for a roll cage unless you want it for a show car. hopefully that helps.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:10 AM
AznSky

Originally Posted by Fluid1
Do you know what it takes to get a good roll cage installed? I doubt it....

Why would you say you want "coilovers"?? Do you even know why or where to start? Why would coilovers be better than a good matched shock/spring setup?

Just things to think about.
Rollcage - Nope! But I definitely will do my research before I start cutting stuff! I'll probably just get a harness bar for now cuz I don't like sliding around in the stock seat belts

Coilovers - I'm weighing my options between lower springs + shocks combo or just straight coilovers. Haven't completely decided on coilovers yet, but I do like the ride/dampening adjustability you get with coilovers. With the mix and match setup of springs/shocks, I think it might be more difficult to get the ideal street/track setup.

Also with a spring/shock setup it'll end up costing around 800-1000 bucks. You can get BC racing coilovers for 1K as well.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:34 AM
dmoffitt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a CG Lock and call it a day, don't do a harness bar / harnesses without additional rollover protection.

Don't get coil-overs now. I did a full year and then some on stock suspension, you'd be AMAZED how much of that understeer is you driving into the corner too fast and not the car's fault $1000 coilovers are going to be CRAP anyway... Get a good alignment (as much front camber as you can stock, a little extra toe out in front just be aware your tires will wear a bit more on the street) - that will help w/ turn-in, help tame the push, etc...

Spend the rest of your money on SEAT TIME. Trust me on this one
Old 06-16-2008, 11:28 PM
dome P 2

Originally Posted by cbasil
honestly, start with suspension first. as you should be able to notice by now during your driving classes, the car tends to want to understeer during cornering. after I bought some JIC Magic coilovers and started autocrossing with them on, it made a huge difference. Still fine tuning them, but overall the I don't feel the understeer anymore. then go with brakes and new tires. what trim is your car? base, track, etc.? honestly if you don't autocross, there is no reason for a roll cage unless you want it for a show car. hopefully that helps.
i dont think so....understeer will slow you down when the brakes are gone..lol. the stock 350 brakes both standard and brembo brakes work great. it just dosent have enough thermo capacity for any serious track use with stock pads. last time i went out to waterford heavy had heavy fade within 5 laps, (still won my class with the local corvette club). at grattan distroyed brakes in first session and gingerman i alternate by doning 2 hot laps and 2 cool down "gingerly" laps. Gingerman=Brake Brutality

if you run hard stock brakes pads you wont last you very long. I wouldnt compare autocrossing with a track day. speeds way faster and you run 15-20 mins rather than one lap and only to 3rd gear.

why in gods name would you need a roll cage in an autocross car?

dp2

Quick Reply: OMG The Z is AWESOME!!!