Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Heel / Toe In The Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Morris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by guitman32
Jet, I definitely think it is harder to Heel-toe in the Z vs other autos. I wear a size 12, but given my heel-toe style (heel roll with my foot slightly angled - toe side to the gas) the gas pedal is still too far/recessed in relation to the brake to H/T without mild strain.

Although they say the brake should never sink past the level of the gas, it's still a bit high for my taste.

I actually think my unconventional H/T style (toe blips gas, heel modulates brake) evolved from the Z's pedal configuration. When I try conventional H/T (toe side modulating brake, heel throttle blip), I feel my heel sinks too low for comfort. I am considering an aftermarket pedal cover for the gas, but I just can't get comfortable of the possibility of the pedal cover falling off in a squeeze (paranoia I'm sure, but still).
Does this mean that your brake pedal is higher than your gas pedal? Under hard braking, in every 350 I have driven, the brake pedal is much lower to the floor than the gas pedal. I find this makes it hard to heel-toe under hard braking.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:36 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris
Does this mean that your brake pedal is higher than your gas pedal? Under hard braking, in every 350 I have driven, the brake pedal is much lower to the floor than the gas pedal. I find this makes it hard to heel-toe under hard braking.
Good point.

At a stop, my brake pedal is higher than my gas pedal. Under hard braking, it sinks about level with the gas (maybe a tad lower??). Anything under hard braking, and the pedal is slightly higher than the gas. This, combined with the brake-gas proximity (too far for my style), makes everyday heel-toeing more strenuous than I would like.

To your point, I would probably have no complaints about the relation of the brake/gas pedal to the floor if they were spaced properly (again, relative to my style).
Old 10-13-2008, 08:57 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

I bent my gas pedal over about 1/2 inch, Randy Pobst mentioned doing this in one of his articles in Sports Car. So i tried it on the Z , and it works great for me. I wear a 12.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:40 PM
roast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem I have is I get too used to heel toeing on the street... which is usually a mild to moderate downshift... once I get on the track I have to adjust to reach closer to redline without overrevving... and adjust to the differences in timing. Other than that the footwork is childs play. A lightweight flywheel would help.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:21 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Here is my pedal setup. It works perfectly for heel and toe driving.

Les
Old 10-14-2008, 05:24 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I forgot to attach the pic in the previous thread......
Attached Thumbnails Heel / Toe In The Z-pedals-small-111005.jpg  
Old 10-14-2008, 07:47 AM
stuntman

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The stock pedals in teh 350Z are pretty terrible. The gas pedal flexes right to left and is very vague. Also the pedal distance between the gas and brake pedal is wide enough for your foot to slip between them. I would recommend using pedal covers for the gas pedal like many already have done/suggested, reducing the gap between the gas and brake pedal, especially when the gas pedal flexes and moves even further from the brake pedal.

Also wear good driving shoes (even for the street) like Piloti.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 AM
WaltZ

pretty easy but like everything awesome it takes practice. I guess make a mental note to brake with the top right of the brake pedal. and swing the foot over. after you have an idea in your head where that part of the pedal is everytime its going to be easier. I dont have my foot cover the entire pedal. I use mostly the right side. I used to roll my foot over when i started but i dont like the way it feels and i can blip the throttle better with my heel/bottom of my foot. Just practice and work on your braking level. Also keep in mind it should be a really smooth process and nothing that is super forced or upsets the car. oh im a 10.5 shoe and i can do it pumas , nikes, docs, etc. practice and have fun!

w.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:37 PM
kwadell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree...tough to heal toe...

JETPILOT, i agree with you. I know how to heal toe too and I find it hard to heal toe in the Z. I'm not sure I understand why some folks seem to have no issues. I think part of the issue is with where my knee and upper/lower leg ends up when doing the heal toe. I'd be interested in seeing photo's of where folks legs end up when they are in the heal-toe position.

I'm heading to change the pedals to see if it helps...
Old 10-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Morris

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I cars are similiar, but we are different. Under anything but the hardest braking, my brake is higher than or equal to the gas and I can heel-toe fine. Under very hard braking, the brake pedal is significantly under the gas pedal, and that makes it hard for me to heel-toe.

Good point.

At a stop, my brake pedal is higher than my gas pedal. Under hard braking, it sinks about level with the gas (maybe a tad lower??). Anything under hard braking, and the pedal is slightly higher than the gas. This, combined with the brake-gas proximity (too far for my style), makes everyday heel-toeing more strenuous than I would like.

To your point, I would probably have no complaints about the relation of the brake/gas pedal to the floor if they were spaced properly (again, relative to my style).
Old 10-15-2008, 12:09 AM
GWord256

Sounds like the G is the same cr@p. Gas is to high and far away to effectivly heal-toe under heavy braking. On the street it is a simple matter and I can do it uber-smooth (I wanted to use uber!), but for autox or track I've never been able to do it well. I hardly do it at all anymore after my foot has slipped off the brake a few times and that causes some interesting results on lap times :/
Old 10-15-2008, 05:34 AM
pedalpusher

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I forgot to attach the pic in the previous thread......

KornerCarver has the solution. These pedals have much higher grip than factory. The gas pedal has extra width added to the left side for easier heel toe. They are sized to fit the 350z specifically, nothing else. And, once installed, you can fine tune the height relationship between the gas and brake pedals by shimming the aluminum pedal with washers. In other words, you can safely raise the brake pedal to a more comfortable height for heel toe.

not trying to sell anything, but you can check them out here: www.srpracing.com
Old 10-16-2008, 09:17 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A few things I have noticed about the 350Z's (or atleast the 03-06 models).

1) It's easier to H/T if you find a pivot point for the heel of your foot. Keep that stationary and rotate the foot round helps to keep the side of you foot aligned with the gas pedal.
2) They are MUCH easier to H/T is street conditions vs track. Once the Brake starts to sink a bit it is significantly lower than the gas. You are also braking much deeper and harder on track than you would on the street (in most conditions), and that puts the brake pedal in a much different position. On other cars that really isn't the case since there isn't as much brake pedal range on cars like Porsches and such. I have found this makes it really hard to keep in tune with just street driving.

The biggest thing I can comment on is find that pivot point on track and stick with it for street use. It will make your street h/t worse (or at least not as smooth), but it will help on track.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:11 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I didn't see anyone mention this but but for those of you looking for a bigger accelerator pedal, perhaps you should looking into purchasing the one that comes on the Nismo Z.

Here is a picture of both for comparisons sake:

Last edited by Kwame; 01-24-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:34 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

That extention looks like it maybe a little too low, but I don't think I could tell unless I used it.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:49 AM
guitman32

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
I didn't see anyone mention this but but for those of you looking for a bigger accelerator pedal, perhaps you should looking into purchasing the one that comes on the Nismo Z.

Here is a picture of both for comparisons sake:
Good suggestion. Direct bolt in? Price? Can Z1 hook us up?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Kwame

Good suggestion. Direct bolt in? Price? Can Z1 hook us up?
It's definitely a direct replacement. As far as price I am not sure, I will look into it today and get back to you.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:31 AM
guitman32

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
It's definitely a direct replacement. As far as price I am not sure, I will look into it today and get back to you.
Thanks, much appreciated
Old 10-28-2008, 12:13 PM
07JimmyZ

I remember seeing that pic before and it was on a RHD Z, I dont think they come on our US Nismo's if thats what you meant. Either way hopefully we can get them

EDIT: you can see the gas door popper is on the other side too.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Kwame

Originally Posted by 07JimmyZ
I remember seeing that pic before and it was on a RHD Z, I dont think they come on our US Nismo's if thats what you meant. Either way hopefully we can get them

EDIT: you can see the gas door popper is on the other side too.
You might be right. I any case its something that we should still be able to get.

Quick Reply: Heel / Toe In The Z