Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Heel / Toe In The Z

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:16 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heel / Toe In The Z

Does anyone find it difficult to heal/toe in the Z? I find it impossible. Is there any adjustments that can be made to the pedals to fadcilitate this? Maybe even the pedals up? The gas pedal is farther foward than the brake pedal making this procedure difficult.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:52 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't have a problem doing the heel toe. I usually roll my foot toward the front on the gas pedal while applying constant (or varying) pressure on the brake. I hope you're not trying to actually use the heel of your foot, also, because that's impossible.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:39 AM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen it done on the YouTube video where they're racing the Z and a few other cars. I've been looking in to getting some different pedals to help with it. Some of the pedals I've found have a bottom that is larger than the top and extends to the left. That way you could do a little less than a 45 degree angle to hit the gas. I'm not sure, but I think you have to have your foot surgically altered to do it with the stock setup.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:58 AM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different pedals will help you also dont need to Heel toe. Just fat foot it or as stated above roll you foot over.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Slow*Jim

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Does anyone find it difficult to heal/toe in the Z? I find it impossible. Is there any adjustments that can be made to the pedals to fadcilitate this? Maybe even the pedals up? The gas pedal is farther foward than the brake pedal making this procedure difficult.

Isn't your car like, twin turbo 500+hp? And you don't heel-toe on the track?
Personally I find heel-toeing incredibly easy in my Z, I do it daily and at the track, although it is more of a side-foot/toe. Do you have small feet?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 AM
AznSky

I find it's hard to practice on the street because once I rotate my heel over, the pressure my toe applies on the brakes starts changing.

But on the track when apply almost full brake pressure I find it's pretty easy to heel toe.

Heel toeing and heel rolling I find depends on your foot size and type of shoe your wearing (I only wear a size 9.5). Cuz when I'm wearing my pumas or no shoes at all, I can heel toe comfortably. But if I'm wearing dress shoes or even tennis shoes, there's not enough room to rotate.

Just my experience.

Also it's harder for us to actually heel toe because we don't have floor mounted pedals like the BMW's do. But it's still possible. However heel rolling may be easier.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:26 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know how to heel toe. What I do find is that it is difficult with this car. My feet are a 10.5 so they are not small. I don't actually heel toe either. I roll my foot over onto the gas.

I was just wondering if anyone else found it harder than usual in the Z.

Last edited by JETPILOT; 10-09-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 AM
OldDirty Z33

I find it hard by the fast revs the engine puts out. The peddles bother me a little but getting it down by the day.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:58 AM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just made a little approx 2x3" piece of Aluminum and bolted it to the gas pedal...this allows for my "little toe" to blip the gas when my Big-toe and the 2nd toe (what ever that one is called ) are on the brake pedal.

I will get a pic of it, but is very simple.....
Old 10-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Mazinger Z

I had the same problem when I first got the car so one of my first mods was to get bigger pedals. Try ebay
Old 10-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

no problems here.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:17 AM
laze1

Pics of my home-made pedal. It is made from an Ebay brake pedal cover turned side-ways, cut down some, and bent a little bit...

Originally Posted by laze1
I just made a little approx 2x3" piece of Aluminum and bolted it to the gas pedal...this allows for my "little toe" to blip the gas when my Big-toe and the 2nd toe (what ever that one is called ) are on the brake pedal.

I will get a pic of it, but is very simple.....

Last edited by laze1; 10-09-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:19 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have much to compare to, but I think it's pretty easy. It does seem to be easier the more aggressive I drive though.
Old 10-09-2008, 12:08 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Jet, I definitely think it is harder to Heel-toe in the Z vs other autos. I wear a size 12, but given my heel-toe style (heel roll with my foot slightly angled - toe side to the gas) the gas pedal is still too far/recessed in relation to the brake to H/T without mild strain.

Although they say the brake should never sink past the level of the gas, it's still a bit high for my taste.

I actually think my unconventional H/T style (toe blips gas, heel modulates brake) evolved from the Z's pedal configuration. When I try conventional H/T (toe side modulating brake, heel throttle blip), I feel my heel sinks too low for comfort. I am considering an aftermarket pedal cover for the gas, but I just can't get comfortable of the possibility of the pedal cover falling off in a squeeze (paranoia I'm sure, but still).

Last edited by guitman32; 10-09-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

I don't think the Z is any harder than other cars, but it might help to attach a small block to your gas pedal, if you are having trouble rolling over to the gas.

As mentioned, it's not really heal and toe for me...it's more like ball of foot on the brake , and then rolling over to the gas with the side of my foot. Once you get good at it, it just happens naturally without thought, so it's kinda hard to describe how I do it.

Oh, and it's nearly impossible to practice on the street. You wont be driving hard enough, or braking hard enough to get the angles right.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 PM
laze1

Sharif, maybe you can start selling my finely engineered and crafted POS Gas Pedal Extension pictured below??

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I don't think the Z is any harder than other cars, but it might help to attach a small block to your gas pedal, if you are having trouble rolling over to the gas.

As mentioned, it's not really heal and toe for me...it's more like ball of foot on the brake , and then rolling over to the gas with the side of my foot. Once you get good at it, it just happens naturally without thought, so it's kinda hard to describe how I do it.

Oh, and it's nearly impossible to practice on the street. You wont be driving hard enough, or braking hard enough to get the angles right.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:28 PM
kramerbuccs24

I've got a size 14 foot and the same pedals as you guys so I can "fat foot" my SER all day lol
Old 10-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by laze1
Sharif, maybe you can start selling my finely engineered and crafted POS Gas Pedal Extension pictured below??
LOL..honestly yours is much nicer than the homemade contraptions I have seen on other people's cars. One guy took a block of wood, and zip tied it to the gas pedal...how about that?
Old 10-09-2008, 07:52 PM
rr_z33

i think its pretty easy on a Z for me. the pedals are spaced out perfectly. its really hard to describe what parts of the foot goes on break/gas, but practicing it on the street makes it like second nature. i pretty much heel toe or revmatch at every stop just to make sure it never goes away.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:06 AM
Mkriebs

I have a size 14 and jst wear fat a** skater shoes. Makes fat footin it pretty easy. I would hate to see myself in race shoes...

Quick Reply: Heel / Toe In The Z