Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

VIR Full Course ... Monday, December 1st ... Now open to novices!!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Stack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIR Full Course ... Monday, December 1st ... Now open to novices!!

I'm sure I've already got a thread on this, but the event has changed enough that I think a new thread is warranted... hope that's OK.

Those of you that were at CMP last weekend might remember me mentioning that if I got enough interest in a beginner/novice group for VIR December 1st, I'd consider it. Well, by the end of the night Sunday I had enough verbal confirmation that people wanted it that I decided to move forward with the plans... so here's what's happening:

Asphalt Ventures

Monday, December 1st (immediately after Thanksgiving) I'm already hosting a lapping day on VIR Full Course. I'm now adding two instructed entry options (well, adding one, and refining one I already had) for a total of three entry options:
  • Beginner/Novice dedicated DE style run group w/ in-car and in-class instruction - $275
  • Intermediate/Advanced in-car coaching and solo lapping - $275
  • Advanced solo lapping - $225
The Beginner/Novice group will have in class instruction in addition to the in car. Peter Krause will also be joining us to talk us through all the intricacies of VIR Full Course, and he'll be hosting a data acquisition seminar in the afternoon. Instructed entries will receive lunch tickets with their entry.

Beginner/Novices can expect up to 2-1/2 hours of track time, Intermediates and advanced solo drivers... 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours of track time. Those of you who choose instruction, you will get 1-on-1 instruction, whether you're in the beginner group, or the intermediate group.

Space IS limited... I'm only opening 25 beginner/novice slots, and 20 intermediate/advanced in-car coached slots... so sign up early!

CLICK HERE for registration if you're ready... if you have any questions, please post, PM, or email me!! :thumbsup:

Old 10-16-2008, 09:09 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I like the posted schedule.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by mhoward1
I like the posted schedule.
I know you're gonna be there ... right?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:29 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Right now it looks like I will actually be able to make it. Who knows, I may even have a little more grunt for the event.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Beau

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, I was really hoping to not go again until next year to save some money. This is hard to pass up.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Stack

Originally Posted by Beau
Damn, I was really hoping to not go again until next year to save some money. This is hard to pass up.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Billhyco

i couldn't pass it up either. once my day off gets cleared i just need to pay. well that and put a new oil pan on the car
Old 10-19-2008, 01:14 PM
OPTIMO

Originally Posted by Beau
**** same here. This is pretty tempting though.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:05 PM
Morris

Beau and Optimo,

Come on out. If you have not been to one ot Stack's events, you owe it to yourself to come out and get this much track time.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:14 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Of course one of the times I did an A/V event, the car was on track for almost 6 hours straight.

KILLED the brakes..
Attached Thumbnails VIR Full Course ... Monday, December 1st ... Now open to novices!!-p9190009.jpg   VIR Full Course ... Monday, December 1st ... Now open to novices!!-p9190010.jpg  
Old 10-20-2008, 03:40 AM
Stack

Of course one of the times I did an A/V event, the car was on track for almost 6 hours straight.

KILLED the brakes..
LOL ... c'mon, you gotta give some context or you'll scare people off!

Marty's Boosted Miata was down, so he drove his then new-to-him daily drive, an Altima SE-R (sweet car btw.) With stock brakes/pads if I'm not mistaken. And he flogged the thing! Oh yeah... it was also on VIR South Course, which is notoriously hard on brakes since they don't have much of a chance to cool off between braking zones.

On brakes... I will say this... if you do not disable your yaw sensor, please come prepared with LOTS of rear brake pads. You won't notice it too bad on track, but the car will use your rear brakes to control excessive yaw (slip angle to us track junkies) and it will eat them down to the bone... just ask Kyle.

Check them after ever session to make sure you've got enough for your next session, and enough to get you back home safely.

Last edited by Stack; 10-20-2008 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:58 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

LOL, sorry your right I should have given some context.

The pictures above were actually NOT from VIR S, but CMP. The Miata was running great and a few other people didn’t have their normal rides for one reason or another. So I offered the Miata for a few of them. There were four of us who swapped off the car through out the day and the car was on track almost the whole time. While we kept checking the pads after each session it was a visual check with a bleed out, I couldn’t see the backside pads well enough to realize that they were wearing faster than the front side pads. After about the 6th hour the car had been on the track I felt the brakes go away very fast. Pulled in and pulled everything apart. The pictures are what I found, and I had to hammer off the pads from the pistons. At this point there are few things I can say about the crew that runs with Tarheel and A/V events.

1) At least 10 people cam over and offered to help me while I was working on the car.
2) Three people offered me Hawk HT10’s and Carbotech XP8 Pads for free
3) All the guys who drove the car offered to pay for any expenses no matter what.
4) With the help and everything else we were able to get everything fixed and get back on track with in the hour. Plus the car was good to go another 2 days afterwards.

My main point was at A/V you can be on track a very long time, plus it’s a bunch of great people.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Billhyco

Marty seems quite generous with his wheels...ya know, i could use something to drive next week

i keed

I think we are driving in the VIR Club day the day before this event. May just tow with the motorhome and make a night out of it to ensure my promptness on Monday morning. If i'm not around come drivers meeting, someone beat on the house on wheels please
Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 AM
OPTIMO

If I can find a cooling solution (yes I know this event is in December) for my Z before then, maybe I will. Tough time of year for me but I might be able to swing it.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:40 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm interested in registering as a novice. I need to arrange for the Mon/Tues off. When do you think will be the cutoff/drop dead date for this event?

Also is this offer closed to just Z/G, my350z members or are other cars welcome to participate?

EDIT: I have no coverage for that day - can't do it. Look forward to the next VIR event...

Last edited by rcdash; 10-20-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by rcdash
I'm interested in registering as a novice. I need to arrange for the Mon/Tues off. When do you think will be the cutoff/drop dead date for this event?
You've still got some time ... there are still plenty of slots available in the novice group. I'll keep you all updated as it starts to fill up.

I would really prefer that I have everyone signed up no later than November 10th, especially if you're paying online.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Axelerate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OPTIMO
If I can find a cooling solution (yes I know this event is in December) for my Z before then, maybe I will. Tough time of year for me but I might be able to swing it.
I seriously doubt you will have issues on VIR full.

I have tracked there, well a LOT and have never had brake issues. I have also used XP10's with no problems.

A simple free and easy solution maybe to remove your front dust shields if you haven't already, and modify them later for cooling.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:38 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by rcdash

Also is this offer closed to just Z/G, my350z members or are other cars welcome to participate?

EDIT: I have no coverage for that day - can't do it. Look forward to the next VIR event...
even though you can't make it this time, Stack's events are open to all makes, and he usually gets some exotic machinery there too.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Morris

I agree, VIR Full course is very easy on brakes. So, don't let that stop you.

Originally Posted by Axelerate
I seriously doubt you will have issues on VIR full.

I have tracked there, well a LOT and have never had brake issues. I have also used XP10's with no problems.

A simple free and easy solution maybe to remove your front dust shields if you haven't already, and modify them later for cooling.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Morris

Like Marty said, you will not find a better group of people at a track event than you will at an A\V event or a TZC\THSCC event.

LOL, sorry your right I should have given some context.

The pictures above were actually NOT from VIR S, but CMP. The Miata was running great and a few other people didn’t have their normal rides for one reason or another. So I offered the Miata for a few of them. There were four of us who swapped off the car through out the day and the car was on track almost the whole time. While we kept checking the pads after each session it was a visual check with a bleed out, I couldn’t see the backside pads well enough to realize that they were wearing faster than the front side pads. After about the 6th hour the car had been on the track I felt the brakes go away very fast. Pulled in and pulled everything apart. The pictures are what I found, and I had to hammer off the pads from the pistons. At this point there are few things I can say about the crew that runs with Tarheel and A/V events.

1) At least 10 people cam over and offered to help me while I was working on the car.
2) Three people offered me Hawk HT10’s and Carbotech XP8 Pads for free
3) All the guys who drove the car offered to pay for any expenses no matter what.
4) With the help and everything else we were able to get everything fixed and get back on track with in the hour. Plus the car was good to go another 2 days afterwards.

My main point was at A/V you can be on track a very long time, plus it’s a bunch of great people.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VIR Full Course ... Monday, December 1st ... Now open to novices!!