Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Can I has input?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:56 PM
ke0ki2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I has input?

The autox season just finished up here and now i'm looking into prepping my car for BSP next year. I'm in SM2 now thanks to my 4.08 gears but i'm swapping back and I dont wana run my open differential in B-stock. Keep in mind this isnt gonna be an all out car on motons, I know i'm not gonna beat Tom Berry, I just wana have fun and be competitive in the southeast. All this is dependent on the economy as well

1. Has anyone run the Moonface roll-center adjusters? viable product for a racing application or all marketing hogwash?

2. Anyone have any experience AUTOXING the Stance GR+ Pro SS-D coilovers? I need some kind of coilovers for a reasonable price cause my rear tires spend more time in the air than on the ground

3. Experience with SPC front AND rear camber arms (with caster plates)? assuming they are in fact legalized next year for SP.

4. right now i'm on some CHEAP 30 pound wheels and 285 Kumhos, i'll probably be copying Brians setup of Enkei RPF1's and Hoosier 295/315

5. Any other good ideas for a revup in BSP? planning on MREV2/spacer for more midrange go-juice since the 3.5 gears will have me in that range more often.

we'll see how much of this I actually put together for next season haha.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:43 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Before this year, I would have (and probably did) say that the Z was outgunned in BSP. No longer -- first350 changed my mind.

My first step would be to look at first350's list of what he'd done to his car (which is now Brian's).

Camber might not necessarily be an issue because of lowering the car.

Check with the tuners (Technosquare?) and see what they have for the RevUp.

And remember, a dynomometer will be your friend!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:38 AM
racerbob4

We run our SCCA T2 car on 285/30 x 18" Kumho 710 tires on 9" x 18 fronts and 10" x 18 rears Enkei RPF1 wheels. We use a 22mm spacer on the front and about 10mm on rear and works just fine. I can get you 15% off retail on the Enkei wheels if you want. The fronts and rears both weight in the 18# range and they look great.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:51 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by racerbob4
We run our SCCA T2 car on 285/30 x 18" Kumho 710 tires on 9" x 18 fronts and 10" x 18 rears Enkei RPF1 wheels. We use a 22mm spacer on the front and about 10mm on rear and works just fine. I can get you 15% off retail on the Enkei wheels if you want. The fronts and rears both weight in the 18# range and they look great.
What are the offsets on the RPF1s?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 AM
ke0ki2k

yeah Brian runs in and around my region now so I have good access to the prototype.

Offsets are +38 for 18x10's..only ones I'm looking at.

Brian mentioned hes lookin forward to the camber arms because that car is lacking a little bit of negative camber up front, I have an idea of what allignment specs that car is on right now.

My main concern is the Stance coils, one guy posted up on their thread in the marketplace bashing the GR+ Pros he got saying, with the helper springs that come on the pros, that it basically rode like a cadillac bouncing up and down 0_o
Old 11-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Ataru074

honestly... if budget on suspension is an issue... don't get any crap coilovers...
get good shocks and good springs... that's it.
what you save today... you'll spend tomorrow in revalving, unhappiness, fixes...
Old 11-11-2008, 09:00 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

TC Kline still has 350Z Koni 8242 shocks on sale. Probably the best bang for the buck damper out there, but they're not coilover design. You can reach them at (614) 771-7744 or tcklineracing.com
Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 AM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by Ataru074
honestly... if budget on suspension is an issue... don't get any crap coilovers...
get good shocks and good springs... that's it.
what you save today... you'll spend tomorrow in revalving, unhappiness, fixes...
I know i know, ive been looking at spending the extra dough Tein on mono-flex's or JIC FLT-A2's as well. i'm just not sure i wouldnt be in over my head with a set of racing shock absorbers. Would it just be a bolt on affair with Koni DA/8242's? find some nismo T2 springs to go with em and theyll bolt right up?

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 11-11-2008 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:08 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spend as much money as you possibly can on shocks. I would even scrimp in other areas (camber arms, etc.) because in autocross, shocks are the key. Look at Penske and Ohlins because those are the two firms that lead the industry in R&D.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:30 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Spend as much money as you possibly can on shocks. I would even scrimp in other areas (camber arms, etc.) because in autocross, shocks are the key. Look at Penske and Ohlins because those are the two firms that lead the industry in R&D.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:13 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look into a set of ZEAL Super Function dampers. I have a set of the Super Function A's. I got them for $2800 and they are incredible. Endless offers full damper service in the USA.

I have the Moonface roll center adjusters sitting on my desk and I've been studying them for almost a week now plugging the numbers into my suspension program and from everything i have see nthere is no way they can work. Nor can I get someone from Moonface o nthe phone to explain them to me. I think I'm sending them back. $500 better spent elsewhere.

Last edited by JETPILOT; 11-11-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:21 PM
BPRacer

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
I know i know, ive been looking at spending the extra dough Tein on mono-flex's or JIC FLT-A2's as well. i'm just not sure i wouldnt be in over my head with a set of racing shock absorbers. Would it just be a bolt on affair with Koni DA/8242's? find some nismo T2 springs to go with em and theyll bolt right up?
Make me an offer on the JIC FLT-A2's! I'm thinking of changing things up a little for next year. I'll make you a deal on them!

BTW Peter's alignment specs were 2.0-2.2 neg camber up front. If you want the whole pic, take a look at the for sale ad he posted in September: https://my350z.com/forum/cars-sale/3...ts-extras.html

Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 PM
ke0ki2k

I've never heard of anyone running Penske or Ohlins on Z's in autox, but there arent that many of them being autoxed at national level and most of those arent really all out. what are the options? prices on par-ish with Motons and the like?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:51 AM
betamotorsports

I know folks on this site won't like to hear it, but Dennis' experiences in his link below mirror mine. Most of the JDM shocks I've run on a dyno are crap when it come to the top levels of autocross and road racing.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html
Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 AM
ke0ki2k

I know folks on this site won't like to hear it, but Dennis' experiences in his link below mirror mine. Most of the JDM shocks I've run on a dyno are crap when it come to the top levels of autocross and road racing.

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

thats a really good read. I just feel like i'm diving into a pool of quicksand when it comes to race shocks like those.

1. dont know what springs I would pair them with, I guess I could just order ERS' but I dont know what sizes or rates.

2. Dont know which shocks would fit my purposes and I have no idea where to get them really, aside from Koni 8142's.

3. I should probably find a dealer that can talk me through all this stuff
Old 11-12-2008, 08:18 AM
betamotorsports

3. I should probably find a dealer that can talk me through all this stuff
Find a racer and talk with him. Hippie on this site is running Ohlins on his BSP car.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 AM
JETPILOT

You use the word "MOST". What were the exceptions? What brands turned out to be good? How many sets of ZEAL dampers have you analyzed? I bough the ZEAL Super Functions without the remote dampers or 30 way adjustment. That would have brought the price up to about $5000. Don't group ZEAL in with all the other junk just because they are made in Japan. And they are made in Japan. Most of the crap "Japanese" products are made in Taiwan.

Last edited by JETPILOT; 11-12-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:00 AM
ke0ki2k

Really Zeal is about out of my price range anyhow. Zeal coils arent really widely used so thats probably why they werent mentioned. swinging koni 8142's would be hard enough at 2 grand, a discount price, without springs.

He seems to be in love with Bilsteins...what shocks would you run from them for an autox app? and who would you have custom re-valve them?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:13 AM
JETPILOT

ZEALS are widely used in Japan in Super Taikyu, and Super GT. Two racing series that not many Americans know exist. The Endless 350Z won the Super Taikyu Chamapionship this year on ZEAL dmapers.

If you want Bilstiens go for the PSS10 and have the valving matched. The dampers themselves with springs cost approx $1600. But you won't have nay independant height adjustment. Adjsuting spring preload adjusts the height.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 AM
ke0ki2k

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
ZEALS are widely used in Japan in Super Taikyu, and Super GT. Two racing series that not many Americans know exist. The Endless 350Z won the Super Taikyu Chamapionship this year on ZEAL dmapers.

If you want Bilstiens go for the PSS10 and have the valving matched. The dampers themselves with springs cost approx $1600. But you won't have nay independant height adjustment. Adjsuting spring preload adjusts the height.

yeah, that guy is an American though...wouldnt surprise me if hes never seen a Zeal damper irl, let alone put one on his shock dyno.

Thats the part thats killin these shocks for me, only some of em are coilover and most of those dont have threaded bodies for height adjustment.

if only i had the $$ for Ohlins DFV's or penske double adjustables

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 11-12-2008 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Can I has input?