Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Anybody with autocross experience?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 10:40 AM
Vlad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Autocross experience?

hey,

I expect that some fellow Z owners are autocross enthuthisats?
Anybody?

I'd like to know how's Z doing in comparison to other cars, and what are advises particular to handling 350z.

I'm going on my first autocross this weekend!

Actually, anybody going to CenDiv in Toledo, OH, this Sunday?
Old 08-28-2003, 03:25 PM
Track_350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Luck!

I just got into auto-X this season. It's a blast!

By the looks of your
Old 08-28-2003, 03:45 PM
Track_350Z

Thumbs up Good Luck!

Ooops. Try again...

By the evil looks of your Z you'll probably be running ASP or BSP (SCCA) if you're lucky unless your wheels are of the same dimension as stock. The Z isn't really classifed for a prepared class right now.

If you don't have other mods like springs or intake you can put the stock wheels on and run BS. The fastest cars in BS are S200s, Z4's, Boxters. The Z can beat them with the right dirver & setup.

ASP cars include modded Z06's!

As far as handling tire pressure is a good place to start. You probably will no have much time to adjust it but I'd start at max recommended up front ~40 PSI and back off 2-5 PSI in the rear. The goal is max grip on the heavy end (font) and a little bit of reduced traction to the rear. Should take out a bit of push.

The main thing is to have fun and grap a local hot-shoe to ride with you and instruct you. Oh, and stay O.C.!
Old 08-29-2003, 05:36 AM
Vlad

My car is pure stock. Except some changes to front bumper. Those wheels are stock wheels. So I'll run in BS (what a strange abbreviation! )

Now, what do you think I should do with spare tire and trunk mat? Should I remove them before the run? The car will be lighter, but it'll further increase understeer...
Old 08-29-2003, 07:11 AM
julian

lightening your rear will increase oversteer tendencies. but in any case, take the weight out. less mass to accelerate in any direction is always better.

B is the car's speed
S is stock
Old 08-29-2003, 07:26 AM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

technically if you have "bumper changes" I would assume a new skin? You wouldn't be legal in BS for SCCA events. some people may not care, but following the rules would put you in BSP.

When I run I run 1/4 tank of gas, and remove everything from the rear, all the carpet, tools, tire, jack, etc. I don't have problems with oversteer on race rubber.

Have fun!
Old 08-29-2003, 07:50 AM
Vlad

no it's the stock bumber, just logo shaved. They won't even notice, I hope.

Okay so I'll remove everything from the trunk.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:52 AM
Vlad

Also, will lightweight battery change my class?
Old 08-29-2003, 12:24 PM
D'oh

I've been to a few, and I think the Z can be competitive.

I'm still learning the car (and probably will be for quite some time) but so far I've found that due to the Z's inherent understeer but good low end torque, it is much better to go slower into a corner and really power through it, than to go hot into a corner and not be able to exit well.

As far as mods go, the stock classes are pretty restrictive, but they do give you some room to play. The basics are as follows: no body mods allowed (with some cosmetic exceptions), no brake line or rotor changes allowed but pads changes are OK, no spring changes allowed, no engine mods. You can use different shocks, but there are some restrictions as to the type. You can use a cat back exhaust. You can change the front roll bar but not the rear. You can use different wheels as long as they are the stock size, and you can use pretty much any tire that will fit. Not sure about useing a lightweight battery.

Here's a link to excerpts from the rule book that will help explain the allowed changes.

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/

I just bought 4 extra wheels and race tires (should arrive next tuesday) and I can't wait to try them out. I'm having a great time so far. I'm sure you will too!

-D'oh!

Last edited by D'oh; 08-29-2003 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:53 PM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't remember about the battery off hand.

The bumper will be legal, that's just "comfort and convenience" at least in my opinion.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:35 AM
Vlad

I'm back,
happy and safe.

I took first place in BS! You just have to read the results backwards to see it

On the serious side, I'm glad I find to time to go. I was worried that being newbee it'll be difficult for me, but it took me 10 minutes to understand thins. Also all the guys there were very helpful. I had 4 runs and I was shaving second - second and a half every run. Still 8 seconds (45 - 53 ) from the first guy

I had a day full of fun, and I'm going again in a week or two. I was missing that competition atmosphere since I quit airmodelling after shool.

I know now what understeer really means and I'm going to do something about it.

Also the interesting question is if I buy a good sticky tires, how do I transport them to the events? I drove 250 miles one way this time, so put them on at home isn't really an option. I'm really puzzled...

Thanks for all you advises guys!
Old 09-02-2003, 06:11 AM
NCSUteg

At the last autoX I went to a guy had 4 wheels and tires stuck in his 350. I think he had 2 in the trunk and 2 in the passenger seat(in big bags). Another option is to get a small trailer and put the tires on that. If you ever see a miata with a trailer hitch you know that person does autoX or track days.

97 gsr
Old 09-15-2003, 06:14 PM
fastone

hey NCSUteg Im assuming the TE is textile engineering????
Im a te graduated from state in 99. send me an email if you have a min.
Old 09-15-2003, 09:59 PM
D'oh

As long as you don't drive super fast and don't corner too hard, you won't wear your race tires too bad just driving to the track and back. 250 miles is quite a ways though, I will be driving about 50-80 miles to my events on my race tires. I'll let you know how they last.

From what I've heard and seen from others, it's those 4 laps around the course that will cause all the wear. I hope that holds true for me as well.

-D'oh!
Old 09-16-2003, 06:29 PM
zoasis

I put probably 1500 miles on my Victoracers. I replaced the rears, the fronts still have tons of life left after 7-8 events or so. The main problem with the rear wear was from driving with the negative camber since my Z is lowered and I have about 2 degree's. If your Z isn't lowered with camber, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:15 AM
G35_AutoX

Every autocross veteran I've talked to has advised against going with race tires as a rookie. You really need to learn as much as you can on your street tires before you take that step. I upgraded my street tires on my G35 since I was really getting into it (I started in May) and it's really helped. I don't think I'll switch to race rubber until next year. Either way it's a ton of fun and I've been inching my way up in the standings.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Mrsideways

NO NO NO, Race tires as a rookie are FINE. just understand that you'll likely burn though them quickly. Don't even think about anything other then victo racers. Got a buddy who did in a full set of hoosiers on his first event (and he's been racing for 3 years).

My theory on race tires, Street tires teach you to be aggressive and what Can happen when your aggressive in the wrong place. R compounds teach you to drive. Probably spend about 5 months on Streets then get a set of Victoracers. Keep them till the cords show so you learn what they feel like as they die off.
Ian
Old 09-24-2003, 11:17 AM
zoasis

I agree with Ian. I think the only reason people advise against racing on R-compound as a rookie is because of the expense incurred. It won't hurt anything to start on Victoracer's.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:58 AM
Vlad

Not being expert, etc... but I kind of like the idea of driving on street tires for a while. If you give a rookie all the best at once he probably will never be good driver. To get results on an average car is a sign of talent (either born or developed).

It's true in many things, and autosport isn't exception I guess. Going on street tires teach you feel the the car and it's limits... I feel huge difference with my first autocross already (with 3rd one ;-). Somehow I don't feel race tires would do me more good than street tires at the moment. Of course my time is far from from front runners so far, but the progress is obvious. I managed to be 112 out of 160 on my 3rd autocross. I hope when I'll switch to race tires next summer of fall I'll already have necessary skills to use them to full potential.

Also, all the autocross books advise on developing proper driving technics instead of upgrading your car to max.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Mrsideways

I agree 100% being able to learn in a poor car is good for you. But it's also something you have to graduate from quickly. I started when I was 16 in a 1981 Volvo running on Throw away Michelin Road huggers or something like that. 6 months In I bought a set of Victoracers, and Sport Springs for it. Suddenly I was in the top 10 at the local events. I ran the car for a year and Played alot with setup. I eventually found that I was quicker in the car when I was constantly trying to keep it from spinning (it had 81 hp and weighed 3100lbs with an open dif, no amount of throttle could get wheel spin) rather then when I was fighting understeer. Wulla we have my Driving style.

Books can tell you alot, but they can't teach you how to drive fast. They can show you the "proper" way, but thats not always the "BEST" way. Years ago I Started taking Golf Lessons. My instructor was Convinced I had The worlds worst swing Despite being a bogey handicap my first year playing. I worked with him alot and My swing looked better but my game got worse. I had days where I was fighting to stay under 100 when the very first time I played 18 holes I shot a 89. Eventually I ditched the Lesson's, Sold the books, Quit looking at newer better clubs and just Started Playing 5 days a week. Bought the eventual club when I realized I had a serious need for it. Before long I was shooting in the low 70's.

I believe the same thing applies to not only autox but all aspects of life. (except working out, I swear i'm not made to be buff). IMHO the only way to get better is to find what you like and stick with it. Damnit get off your *** and just spend the money and drive all over the country to compete aginst the best people on the best courses. And learn to hate 2nd place, Hate it like it's a failure. If your not FTD by a full second then your not done, and even then it should be 2 seconds. And when you're done with that go for the A-mod cars show them what stock class can do. Never be satisfied and NEVER say "i'm taking this weekend off" if there is an event anywhere, BE THERE! .... Unless your credit cards are maxed... did I mention I took last weekend off.

But there is a lesson in that as well. I took last weekend off and sunday when I should have been autoxing down in tampa, a Lady in a White Corolla didn't look left before pulling out in traffic. I'll be tow Vehicleless for the next 6 weeks and my leg hurts.

Sorry for the long post, I should be studying Calculus right now.

Quick Reply: Anybody with autocross experience?