Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Where do you mount your racing harness?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:08 AM
davids
F U StuLax18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the Sparco bar.

More important than the HB certifications are the belt certifications. Harnesses have a limited certified life and if you bought yours used they are only allowed if within the specified year range.

If you are using it for auto-x, have at it; no restrictions.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:49 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by Stack
Got any pictures?
Let me try to find some pics. I know I've posted several pics before but they may be in another forum (Interior Section).
Old 02-06-2009, 07:57 AM
z-u-later

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Is it the Carbon Fiber bar?
I know it's not carbon fiber, and it's definitely not steel. I think it's some type of composite. To be honest, I've never tried to find out. I think Jason (Texas) also owns one and he's an engineer. Maybe he can chime in.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:58 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

The original old school avalon bar is aluminum..........as for any other copies of it, im not sure..

-J
Old 11-16-2009, 11:11 AM
MPD47

Putting harnesses in without a cage is asking for death. Have fun staying upright in your seat when the roof collapses.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:14 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
The original old school avalon bar is aluminum..........as for any other copies of it, im not sure..

-J
lol at taking 10 months to respond.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:23 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I didnt know he asked till i stumbled on this thread just now....

he never pm'd me or anything that he asked..lol..better late then never...

-J
Old 11-22-2009, 05:58 AM
misterniceguy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MPD47
Putting harnesses in without a cage is asking for death. Have fun staying upright in your seat when the roof collapses.
So you are safer during a rollover without a harness bar because you are going to be able to fight the g forces with your ripped abs and somehow pull yourself down to become safe from a collapsing roof? Sweet, I need to do more core workouts.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Stack

Originally Posted by misterniceguy
So you are safer during a rollover without a harness bar because you are going to be able to fight the g forces with your ripped abs and somehow pull yourself down to become safe from a collapsing roof? Sweet, I need to do more core workouts.
No... you'd need those abs to stay in place without harnesses. Just the physical action of a car rolling over pulls your torso to the left or right. With harnesses, you're held in place.

(Obviously, nothing is as simple as that, but I think you get my point.)
Old 11-22-2009, 12:00 PM
misterniceguy

Whatever you say. I do agree with "nothing is as simple as that".
Old 11-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Ataru074

Whatever you say. I do agree with "nothing is as simple as that".
let's put it in this way... a good weld in roll bar (5 or 6 point) can go for way less than 1K... a harness bar is about 350$+ and if you strip the car by yourself and ask for only welding labor is quite cheap and safer...

especially when you think that you're spending 1K between tires, brakes, fees and fuel (probably more) for a weekend at the track.

than $hit can happen in any possible way and there is no way to be totally safe on a road course as well on the road.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:55 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

A three point belt is designed so if the roof or any other downward force the belt will guide you down to the center front of the car (the safest location during the roof failure). With a harness you are kept upright in the seat.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:21 AM
Ataru074

A three point belt is designed so if the roof or any other downward force the belt will guide you down to the center front of the car (the safest location during the roof failure). With a harness you are kept upright in the seat.
true... but on a combo impact (a SOB T boned me and trow me on a frontal collision) at about 30mph.. yes 30 MPH I had fractures in 2 point on my spine, 3 disc fu$$ed up, and I was lucky to don't have any permanent spinal cord lesion.. just a bad compression and 6 month of rehab from that.

that beacause the lateral impact di actually throw me toward the center of the car and than the frontal caught me with only the lap belt in position...
it wasn't fun... than I remember only few flashes on me with an almost ripped of leg, no sensitivity in my lower body and me waking up in the hospital several hours later.
I don't even remember the ambulance coming and who the hell grabbed me.

real world collision aren't easy.

that was at 30 mph... think about what is going to happen if you spin at 80mph and end up hitting somewhere at around 50mph without a 6 point, a good seat and some sort of neck brace (hans or collar)
Old 11-23-2009, 06:25 AM
misterniceguy

I understand how a 3 point belt would allow you a place to go, but it's not going to make sure you get there. It's not a safe alternative like some make it out to be. That's all I'm saying.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 AM
MPD47

Originally Posted by Ataru074
that was at 30 mph... think about what is going to happen if you spin at 80mph and end up hitting somewhere at around 50mph without a 6 point, a good seat and some sort of neck brace (hans or collar)
And unless you have a full cage that safety equipment can not work as it was intended to. Imagine if you were wearing harnesses and that broad side had rolled you? Roof collapses, you are held upright in your seat by the sub belt and your neck/spine are snapped in half. Well at least you had harnesses on right?

Harness bars w/harnesses in street cars are for people wanting to tell people "they race their car". Get the proper safety equipment or don't try and mix and match "upgrades".

Clearly you have no idea what happens during a crash of any magnitude.

Last edited by MPD47; 11-23-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh Geez... After this thread I think I'll wrap the harnesses around my nuts. It would less painful then reading the BS posted here.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Ataru074

And unless you have a full cage that safety equipment can not work as it was intended to. Imagine if you were wearing harnesses and that broad side had rolled you? Roof collapses, you are held upright in your seat by the sub belt and your neck/spine are snapped in half. Well at least you had harnesses on right?
I don't have to imagine that... in that case it didn't happen. period.
I know that with the stock 3 point I had quite some damage to myself.
that for a fact.

what if a meteor shower would hit the car and I didn't have the energy shields...
what if and what if.

a roll cage isn't expensive and I agree on installing it.
but not all accidents on the track include a full rollover, neither the roof collapses all the time, neither a roll cage is enough to save your a$$ in some cases....

come on...
a little of common sense would help here
Old 11-24-2009, 05:04 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

granted.

There is no single solution for every circumstance. The best all of us can prepare for the most likely and the most extreme.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:57 AM
misterniceguy

Clearly you have no idea what happens during a crash of any magnitude.

Clearly you have no idea what sarcasm is, Mr. Einstein. Learn it, live it, love it.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:21 AM
mekatoka

Ok, I ran across this thread while researching HARNESS BARS. So what's the general consensus here? Not to mix-n-match equipment like MPD47 stated above?

I track my car quite often and don't race. That's just in case somebody shows me a rule book I want to get it done right. I was looking at Harness bar that is installed at the factory seat belts position.

Quick Reply: Where do you mount your racing harness?