Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Staggered vs Square Wheel Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 11:08 PM
12AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When it comes to tires on the track, bigger is always better. 275/40/17's fit up front with the right offset/spacer/camber setup, so I run a square setup based on that. Seeing how important braking is with this heavy car and the fact that most of the weight is up front (spare removed, exhaust lightened), I don't see a benefit in running anything less thean the widest tire possible up front.

Now if the 255's were free, then I can see why you would want to use them
Old 06-29-2010, 06:51 AM
J D

Originally Posted by 12AutoX

Now if the 255's were free, then I can see why you would want to use them
255s are the limit for the STR class in SCCA. Maybe that's why he's asking...
Old 11-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Paul Penrose

I just got a z and am interested in going square but not for the track... I just want a set of rims that dont come staggard so if someone could PLEASEEE help with how they feel this is for everyday driving I dont drive crazy, I like to hit the gas occasionally but for the most part will just be normal driving. I try not to drive in snow but sometimes have no choice so Im also going to look into snow tires that I would get a square set for as well.

So main questions are: 1) would it not be a big deal for every day use

& 2) does it look sexy not having the back end quite as beefed?

As much input as possible thank you!!
Old 11-23-2010, 04:52 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no one can tell you how it will "feel" without talking about a specific tire and specific suspension setup...it all works together

the look is up to you..there are literally hundreds, maybe thousands of pictures posted at this point in the car's life cycle on this site with wheels and tires of every size/offset/suspension combination
Old 11-23-2010, 09:42 AM
Paul Penrose

I wouldnt be changing anything other than the tires and rims one set of tires will be snow tires and then I was going to try to get two more stock tires equal to the front to put on the back.

Its just a lot of money to then find out there will be problems so if it would be minimal change then I will probably go for it
Old 11-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Clam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul Penrose
I just got a z and am interested in going square but not for the track... I just want a set of rims that dont come staggard so if someone could PLEASEEE help with how they feel this is for everyday driving I dont drive crazy, I like to hit the gas occasionally but for the most part will just be normal driving. I try not to drive in snow but sometimes have no choice so Im also going to look into snow tires that I would get a square set for as well.

So main questions are: 1) would it not be a big deal for every day use

& 2) does it look sexy not having the back end quite as beefed?

As much input as possible thank you!!
1) The plus side to running a square tire set-up for DD is tire rotation.

2) The car can still look good if you beef up both the rear and front, such as 18x10 +22 wrapped with 275/35/28 tires all around

I don't notice any significant handling issues switching from the stock staggered to a square set-up when driving within reasonable limits on the streets. However, when pushed, the car will have a lot higher tendency to oversteer, so be prepared for that (especially if it is raining or snowing).
Old 11-23-2010, 02:27 PM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Clam
However, when pushed, the car will have a lot higher tendency to oversteer, so be prepared for that (especially if it is raining or snowing).
I know I'm being a nit-picky a-hole, but a square setup gives you less understeer, not more oversteer. The car moves more towards neutral but will still understeer at the steady state limit.

As a car becomes more neutral in handling behavior it becomes more responsive to lift throttle, which some people confuse as oversteer. A good handling car is supposed to have the rear end more lively when you lift off the gas in a corner.

Just a small point from an OCD chassis guy.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 275/40/17 Continental ExtremeBlahBlah DW all around; feels great at low speeds; rotation is great. Freeways are kinda twitchy especially with the crappy roads around here.

First autocross last Sunday was great. Amazing how much control/recovery was possible. Wish I'd spent more on tires now. I can't decide whether to put some good tires on the stock wheels and run CS or run the wheel/tires I have now in a higher class.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Clam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
I know I'm being a nit-picky a-hole, but a square setup gives you less understeer, not more oversteer. The car moves more towards neutral but will still understeer at the steady state limit.

As a car becomes more neutral in handling behavior it becomes more responsive to lift throttle, which some people confuse as oversteer. A good handling car is supposed to have the rear end more lively when you lift off the gas in a corner.

Just a small point from an OCD chassis guy.
No problem, your response is a better explanation to what I was experiencing when switching to a square set-up for the first time. The rear was indeed more lively when lifting the throttle in a corner.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Paul Penrose

Okay thank you for the input sounds like im probably going to go ahead with it then.

The rims have two sizes that I have looked at:
17x7.5
18x7.5

It seems most tend to go with the bigger any thoughts? & what size of a tire would I need to fit them?

I really appreciate all the comments Im learning things alot faster through here than even what the tire shops have been telling me.