Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

The Tire DB - Posts about Track and AutoX tire brands

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 12:47 PM
sasquatch308

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel and tire issue

I am trying to find what set up I should get for performance either work xd 9 18x9 front, 18x10 rear in a silver color, or gram light 57 18x9.5 all around
gun metal.

I have a set and another maybe coming of 265 front and 295 rear tires...
that shoudl be no problem fitting on either rim.. but looking for insight on performance standpoint of either or set up. and what you guys prefer as well as what color you like on a san marino blue Z? had a set of work in silver alredy and broke the front two wheels in a not so good accident the other day this week.
Thanks in advance guys
Old 02-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Son of Mad Dog

Default Nitto NT01

Anyone ever heard of these?
found a second hand set for sale pretty cheap. (going to use stocker 17's for the tires.) Dont want to be running on my 19's to autox.
Going to be driving around an hour on the tires to get to events. Obviously, only in good weather. Will i be over heating these tires if i do this? Would i be better off just buying the cheapest street tire available on tirerack in the right size (Kuhmo something or other for 80 dollars each.)
Old 02-16-2009, 07:55 AM
RandomHer0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a buddy run them on his mustang street/track all summer long last year. He was harrasssed by cops though because they look like a slick even though they are DOT approved.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:27 AM
bigdaddy

I think you'll be fine. I run the NT-01's on my track car, and they will last me a full season of abuse. Great grip and life for the price. I haven't auto-x'd them however, so I can't say how they will react to short runs and not much heat build-up.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Son of Mad Dog

son of a *****, nm (they were sold prior to my communication).

its getting to be a pita to shod these damn shoes.

no one sells second hand 17's on this forum, only 18's if any.
Might just go with standard street tire for this season.

Anyone got any contacts? Looking for cheap as i can get 17's.
(these were going to be 235/40/17...)
Will be using a GPS for speed (to the event) and will do square setup for rotating, so no VDC issues on the road (will be turned off autoxing.)

Tire rack has the sumitomo HTR+ and HTR z II for around 80 each in this size. same range is (fuzion ZRi,
Dunlop SP Sport, and the kumho ecsta ASX).
should i go to a different tire for autoxing? or will this be fine? seems cheap to me...

Last edited by Son of Mad Dog; 02-16-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:09 AM
12AutoX

Funny, I just bought a set of used 17" NT-01's from a guy in Phoenix. My understanding is that they grip better than good street tires for autocross, but aren't don't heat up fast enough. If you want a good street tire, the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs are the hot ticket right now, and pretty cheap, too.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:19 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Son of Mad Dog
son of a *****, nm (they got solded).

Will be using a GPS for speed (to the event) and will do square setup for rotating, so no VDC issues on the road (will be turned off autoxing.)

Tire rack has the sumitomo HTR+ and HTR z II for around 80 each in this size. same range is (fuzion ZRi,
should i go to a different tire for autoxing? or will this be fine? seems cheap to me...
I think buying a cheap tire just for autox is silly, assuming you want to have fun and be even slightly competitive. Other cheap, but good for autox, tires are Falken RT615 (~$125/tire) and the new Dunlop Direzza Star Specs. Those Sumitomo and Kumhos are cheap because they are absolute pooh.

By the way, what is "solded"?
Old 02-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Son of Mad Dog

^retarded 8 year old language. i.e. misspelled

The tires in question were sold prior to my communication with the seller.

I want to autox, this will be my first season with the z, hence the lack of need for ultra expensive tires. I do not want to use up the tires i buy for the 19's (stockers) because of cost. (will be buying some Kumho SPT's for the rear.)

Just looking for a decent street/autox tire with a learning towards more 5/6 autox, 1/6 street. The reason i like the Sumi's is price (i could get 2 for the price of one of the azenis) and the supposed steel sidewall reinforcement, which should come in handy for autox and learning. next year i feel i will be able to make the commitment to a serious autox tire.

I was trying to find a serious tire for cheaper. I have two months before the season starts around here, so i will keep on looking. But i am trying to make an intelligent decision.

I also do not want to go full race due to the smothering affect many feel happens when you try to learn a car with race tires instead of learning the car then moving the line further out with better grip.

Last edited by Son of Mad Dog; 02-16-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:05 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^retarded 8 year old language. i.e. misspelled

The tires in question were sold prior to my communication with the seller.

I want to autox, this will be my first season with the z, hence the lack of need for ultra expensive tires. I do not want to use up the tires i buy for the 19's (stockers) because of cost. (will be buying some Kumho SPT's for the rear.)

Just looking for a decent street/autox tire with a learning towards more 5/6 autox, 1/6 street. The reason i like the Sumi's is price (i could get 2 for the price of one of the azenis) and the supposed steel sidewall reinforcement, which should come in handy for autox and learning. next year i feel i will be able to make the commitment to a serious autox tire.

I was trying to find a serious tire for cheaper. I have two months before the season starts around here, so i will keep on looking. But i am trying to make an intelligent decision.

I also do not want to go full race due to the smothering affect many feel happens when you try to learn a car with race tires instead of learning the car then moving the line further out with better grip.
Understood. I'd keep your eyes open for a set of used or take-off Michelin PS2s, Falken RT615s, Bridgestone S02 or S03s, then. Use them for a season of playing and learning, then step-up next year.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 AM
blktrack350

do you think that the cheaper the tire the better you will perform?
Old 02-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Son of Mad Dog

No,
the cheaper the tire the more events i can get to to learn the car before i worry about being competitive. (the difference in cost is one DE event...)

I got this car to use it.

Edit: i would put your sig quote in my sig, but am superstitious and feel like it is just inviting trouble.

Last edited by Son of Mad Dog; 02-16-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Billhyco

check out the Nitto- Neogen. Rented a car over the weekend for track use that had them on there. THey held up pretty well and I beat the hell out of them!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 12:30 PM
blktrack350

No,
the cheaper the tire the more events i can get to to learn the car before i worry about being competitive. (the difference in cost is one DE event...)

I got this car to use it.

Edit: i would put your sig quote in my sig, but am superstitious and feel like it is just inviting trouble.
just get a decent tire like the rt-615's so that you wont be sliding all over the place with cheap tires. if all you are doing is autox they will hold up good.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:12 PM
akomsr1

son of a *****, nm (they were sold prior to my communication).

Careful with using cheap street tires for any type of performance driving. They tend to have very squirmy tread blocks and they will overheat or cause the tire to chunk if the tires aren't shaved (and at that point might as well get better tires), especially on a heavy car like the Z. A good set of performance tires will not chunk at full tread and probably wear better than all seasons during hard driving.

I ran Dunlop Direzza Z1 on my old car, full tread and it is a fantastic tire. No problems running them full tread and I HIGHLY recommend this tire if it's in your budget. But, since you are new and not looking to be competitive, you definitely do not need the new generation top tier tires. The older top tier tires are still great and can probably be found at a cheaper price and you will still learn the same amount on them. Off the top of my head:

Khumo MX
Falken Azenis 615
Hankook Z212
Old 02-17-2009, 05:42 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

A great place to look for take offs is the scca forum. Especially after a national event. You should be able to get a good set for about $150/200 bucks. And they will have all sizes.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:54 AM
Son of Mad Dog

Been looking on the Nasa forums, but they usually have too thin of a tire or WAY too wide (305 etc...)

totally forgot about SCCA forums.

Also was checking roadraceautox.com

think i can run a set of Dot-R compounds to an event an hour away and not kill them?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:59 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

The scca national guys only use a tire set one day.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Son of Mad Dog

still doesn't tell me how much wear i can expect out of them when events are 30 miles away each way. (i have no trailer/hitch due to the economy and watching my budget like a damn red tail.)
Old 02-17-2009, 07:51 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

You will be very lucky to get 15K out of a set of either NT01 or R888. most likely 8K with daily driving and 1 Autox event each month.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Son of Mad Dog

thats exactly what i needed to hear.
i wont be dd the 17's with these tires on. My track wheels are going to do DD duty once it warms up (the 18x9's and 19x10's).
I plan on spamming autox or DE days.
to the point of maybe having 3 a month. (one in akron area, one in cleveland area, maybe another group in the columbus area, and then there is mid-ohio).
Wooster is smack dab in the middle, but everything is 40-60 min away one way.
I was just worried that i would kill the tires by driving to the event.

probably even less with say hoosiers right? (like i said, whatever i get a deal on i get a deal on.)

Quick Reply: The Tire DB - Posts about Track and AutoX tire brands