Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

!!!!Camera or Camcorder!!!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 05:28 AM
McLovin350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!!!Camera or Camcorder!!!!! Help

Ok,
I am currently running a kirks racing cage in my car and i will be purchasing the camera mount soon but i have no camera/camcorder.

Sadly I know virtually nothing about cameras/camcorders and i plan on buying one soon to install

I know some cameras today have a video function
and some camcorders have a still photo function
but either arrangment doesnt bother me I'm concern of the video that i shoot will be crappy and i would also like to see in some detail out the windshield (like two cars in front minimum)

I dont really have a range other than buy what I need
Once again i know nothing of how to purchase a good one (other than looking at price tags)
Any feedback would be great
And leave detail "make and model" information about the camera/camcorder
Old 01-08-2010, 05:31 AM
RandomHer0

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider the Go Pro HD?

You can get Roll Bar mounts.

https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...t-footage.html
Old 01-08-2010, 06:06 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

While there are many choices out there, especially ones like the Hero lines that are specifically for this I didn't like the Wide angle view many have standard.

By getting a universal mount like the i/o port you can use almost any camera or camcorder. Make sure the mount you use has built in impact and vibration protection for the Camera. A decent used digital camera can be had used for less that $50 bucks. There are a few features I would look for though in your search.
1) Stability control. - A lot of the Cameras with video functions don't have this
2) Remote control - It really sucks to get all strapped in and then realized you forgot to turn the camera on
3) Remote Microphones - being able to mount the mike in a remote location away from wind noise makes a huge difference
4) Direct download capability - it will make sharing and adding Data Aqu. at a later date much easier.

I use the Sony DCR-HC. It has all the features listed except #3, and I wish it had it.

You can see the videos it takes in this thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...ay-videos.html

Last edited by mhoward1; 01-08-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:20 AM
JCat
---------------
Premier Member

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

RANDOM THOUGHTS:

Most video camera's take still shots too.
The GoPro can take a pic every 2 or 5 seconds.....or video. IMO it is a very simple (video) camera with limited features.
Generally, quality cost more.
Get a High Definition if you can
Since you are not a camera expert, you might want one that saves in a PC friendly file format. This saves you on editing time and cost.
There are wide angle lenses and not. View some on the internet to determine what your preference is.
Some cameras have jacks for external options.....some do not.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:24 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

Marty has hit most of the high points, but let me add one critical one. Weight and mounting. It does no good to have the most advanced camera/camcorder out there if it weighs more than a few ounces and isn't securely mounted. In the event of an accident, you don't want it breaking free and flying around the cockpit. The Hero line gets my vote in that it's so compact and light (and comes with various rollcage mounts) that it poses little safety risk.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:47 AM
RandomHer0

If you care about sound, the hero isnt the best choice, no external mic either.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:01 AM
NismoZ_840

Be aware that cameras with video often have issues with recording time (sometime limited to 1 minute or few minutes by the camera software), less compressible video file formats (i.e. run of out storage memory) and sometimes battery life can be an issue. Camcorders are usually designed so they can take an hour or hours of video on a single charge.

Flash/Flip cams are a good compromise for in-cabin. Just pay attention to the recording and battery life specs, especially for the sub-$100 units. A good place for mounts is http://www.ram-mount.com/ . They offer mix and match mounting systems for a wide huge variety of applications and mounting styles. They are little pricier that what you might pick up at BestBuy, but the quality is way higher IMO. Worth it considering trashing a $100+ item by having it loose in the cabin. Mounting outside can be risky as they are a little larger in size. Also note that if the view screen has to be flipped out when recording; it may not be practical for outside use since the wind force can close or break it.

The GoPro is probably your best bet for mounting outside the cabin, they stick very well, but sometimes (but not often) do fall off at high speeds. At ~$200 a pop, there is some risk of losing it. There are very good for inside as well in terms of size and mounting hardware. Another alternative for outside shots is looking for a bullet/lipstick camera that runs a wire to a handheld camcorder or netbook/laptop. It would be cool if these go wireless/bluetooth, but not sure wireless technology have the bandwidth for HD yet in a small form factor.

There are bunch of high dollar system ($800-1500) in the racing magazines, but you can probably put something together for a lot less, but won't be turnkey systems like these. Another year or so I imagine we'll have sub-$100, HD, multiple hour recording devices smaller than a cell phone in every big box store.

And now the slippery slope starts...

Don't forget to budget a video editor unless your using the free Windows Movie Maker or other freeware. Also you'll want a computer (probably not more than 2-3 years old) with enough processor, graphics, and storage to process video.

And once you get a video device, it won't be long till you'll want to have telemetry overlays if you have telemetry/data logger equipment. Trackvision seems like a very capable product and fairly inexpensive (~$200) and has video editing features. If you're looking for more of budget solution, MaxQData has a video overlay (very spartan) for $100 if you use their telemetry products (best value telemetry IMO) or I just found a spartan, but very capable editing and telemetry package at http://racerender.com/Features.html for a mere $25!

IMO having video and telemetry is one of the best ways to relive your track and autocross days and improve your driving technique. Good luck and post your vids up to YouTube for us all to enjoy (my YouTube handle is NismoZ840, http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f)!

Last edited by NismoZ_840; 01-08-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:12 PM
anth72

I use a camera on video feature and a voice recorder to capture engine bay sound. The video quality isnt great but the sound is pretty good. I use an Olympus VN-6200PC, aprrox $50, voice recorder. Then run a mic to the engine bay under the battery cover. Then I overlay the audio with the video is Windows Movie Maker. Only issue is that the time stamps (length of each lap) differ between the camera and voice recorder. So I need to use Audacity (free program) to stretch or shrink the length of the audio to line up with the video. You can check out some videos here. I can never get embedding to work.

http://www.vimeo.com/6586095
Old 01-08-2010, 01:07 PM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoward1
While there are many choices out there, especially ones like the Hero lines that are specifically for this I didn't like the Wide angle view many have standard.

By getting a universal mount like the i/o port you can use almost any camera or camcorder. Make sure the mount you use has built in impact and vibration protection for the Camera. A decent used digital camera can be had used for less that $50 bucks. There are a few features I would look for though in your search.
1) Stability control. - A lot of the Cameras with video functions don't have this
2) Remote control - It really sucks to get all strapped in and then realized you forgot to turn the camera on
3) Remote Microphones - being able to mount the mike in a remote location away from wind noise makes a huge difference
4) Direct download capability - it will make sharing and adding Data Aqu. at a later date much easier.

I use the Sony DCR-HC. It has all the features listed except #3, and I wish it had it.

You can see the videos it takes in this thread:
https://my350z.com/forum/autocross-r...ay-videos.html

Marty
Any recommended camera that DOES have feature #3 ?
Old 01-08-2010, 02:57 PM
NismoZ_840

Might try wind filters like these...

I believe this is the Saddam Hussein model

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...indjammer.html

or the Adolf... (two despot jokes in one post FTW!)

http://www.thewindcutter.com/shop/in...dex&cPath=1_80

I've been tempted to try the Adolf, but wanted to see if a cotton ball would accomplish the same thing but haven't found a good way to stick it on yet...

UPDATE: bit the bullet and ordered the Windcutter since shipping is free. Will post videos here once it get it!

==========
UPDATE: No luck, the windcutter isn't enough to block out the windnoise on an interior mounted flip cam. See vids after Jan 2010 for examples. http://www.youtube.com/user/NismoZ840

Last edited by NismoZ_840; 03-06-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:50 PM
halfrice

if you can afford it get the go pro

also been looking at this sanyo, 720p and half the price of the go pro
http://us.sanyo.com/Digital-Camcorde...nd-10MP-Photos

currently using a sony hc mini dv camcorder, but wanting better quality videos now so planning on going hd soon

Last edited by halfrice; 01-08-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:32 PM
RED RIDER

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.datatoys.com/products/pop...?pID=2&image=0

This is what I use..depends on how much cash you want to spend of course..but this is a bad *** system.

has two cameras, mounts, mics etc etc..

Last edited by RED RIDER; 01-08-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:59 PM
McLovin350Z

Great
So much information!!!!
I am thankful for all comments!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:35 AM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by McLovin350Z
Great
So much information!!!!