Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Help: Preparing for first track day

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One on track tid bit... try to get out in the front of the group or right behind an instructor (if they are on course). This allows you a chance to see the fast way around the course without student after student "diluting" the instructors lines.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:10 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lento
^ Good point about the E brake

I would recommend not using it at all (if you are on relativly flat ground of course)

Because if your brakes are hot, the e brake pad will fry. Instead shut the car off and put it in first gear.

Also make sure you go with a full tank of gas (or at least be wary of how much you have). At my last auto X I got 5 miles to the gallon.

Running out of gas would suck. Almost happened to me at my last event and I went with a 1/2 tank.

The other thing you could do is run a quarter tank but bring some gas containers
He is talking about a track event, not an autox - big difference. I don't know how you think you got 5mph at an autox - I get about 8mph on a full open course, which is either WOT or hard braking.

Originally Posted by Lento
^Maybe an oil change to make sure its nice and clean before running constantly at high rpms

I would also suggest washing it before you go. All the rubber and other crap peels off and sticks to you're car. The less abrasive material under the to be burnt rubber will leave less scratches when you wash it off.

And try to wash it immediately after. Mine was a ***** to clean especially the tail pipes. All the unburned fuel or whatever it was basicly turned them black.
Wash and wax to protect it from track debris is the only way to really protect it. Some use painter's tape to cover their bumper and/or hood to protect them as well.

Originally Posted by Zazz93
One on track tid bit... try to get out in the front of the group or right behind an instructor (if they are on course). This allows you a chance to see the fast way around the course without student after student "diluting" the instructors lines.
Agreed.

OP - have fun, and don't sweat the car prep too much. You are in a school, not a full DE, so it'll be much lighter on your car. As others have said, have all the fluids topped off and your oil changed. I change my oil before every event. Just make sure you have enough brake pad remaining all around.

I'd also study the track online. Try to watch an in-car video and compare it to a printed out track map. See if you can play it back in your head to take out the nervousness of blind turns and elevation changes the day of your event.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:26 AM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts300
OP - have fun, and don't sweat the car prep too much. You are in a school, not a full DE, so it'll be much lighter on your car. As others have said, have all the fluids topped off and your oil changed. I change my oil before every event. Just make sure you have enough brake pad remaining all around...
Have fun yes, but be prepared, instuctors will push you at times. You will basicly be reviewed on how you drive at speed on track. I can guarantee you every instructor is different, so some might be strong on late braking, and if you do not prepare your car, then you just ended your day. The one thing all instructors have(should) in common is safety. If your car is unsafe to him/her well your day might get unnormal.

Very good tip on watching in car vids, this always helps me out.

Last edited by screener; 01-14-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:57 PM
NISMO_558

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarred@Z1
ive over heated my brembos at a track and i had all the right stuff. track was just hard on brakes.
The last track day I went to didn't seem to overheat the brembo's too much. Even after 6 hard laps there wasn't any brake fade, but the clutch on the other hand....I'm replacing the clutch fluid with motul rbf600.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Z3305

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Advice

Other than an oil change to a good synthetic (which you should be using anyway) the advice offered to not sweat the prep too much was the best. Waxing your exhaust, naww. You'll just be smelling it before it burns off completely. The only thing you really should buy for the car is a set of Hawk HP+ pads or similar. They're easy on rotors and will last for several track days until you drive more aggressively. It is very possible to completely go through a set of street pads in a single track day especially when you're new and using the brakes too often and too hard. Then you may think about a different brake package-in a year or two. There's nothing wrong with using street tires for your first few track days, but DO NOT buy new street tires. You'll want something with the tread blocks worn down so you don't pull out chunks of new street tread. Don't worry about spending big money on suspension-headers-exhaust systems until you've driven the stock set up a while. Our cars are excellent and fun track cars. After some experience your next upgrade will be an R-compound tire or a hybrid street/track tire like the Dunlop Star Spec. Have a blast!
Old 01-15-2010, 09:25 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Have fun...
Old 01-15-2010, 04:40 PM
ajw101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an '03 Track, and I'll also be breaking my track day cherry this spring/summer. The fresh oil change makes sense to me, but I'm curious about switching out the brake fluid and pads?

Would you change back to "normal" brake fluid and/or pads after the event?

What do you think the highest priorities are (fresh fluid-wise)? oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid, coolant...

I'm basically trying to come up with a budget for a summer's worth of events. I know that after I do a couple events, I'll be making changes (stickier tires, SS lines, etc.). I'm just more worried about the maintenance-type, non-bolt-on items that I should worry about.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:50 AM
screener
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to change the fluid back, consider it a good upgrade for everyday as well, it is just overkill for DD. What makes the brake fluid so important to change, is over time moisture collects in the fluid, this lowers the boiling point of the brake fluid, this is the wet boiling point. The ATE super blue is great fluid, not only does it have high boiling points dry and wet, but it makes the flush job easy because it is a no brainer when you see blue fluid coming out instead of amber.

The brake pads change them back to your street pads if you bought some heavy duty track day pads. They tend to dust heavy and are usually noisy.
If you just got something mild you could still use them everyday if you are happy with them.

Take care if all the fluids, not saying change them all out, but at least suck the resovoirs dry and top off with new(clutch, power steering) you will be OK.

I like to change my oil at least 1 week before, this helps to get that black film from the oil onto the the vitals.

Have fun it is really addicting and you will be amazed what your car is capable of from the factory.