Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

GPS timer/Data acquisition...jump in and give out a shout for your unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Bahnzii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS timer/Data acquisition...jump in and give out a shout for your unit

I've decided to throw down for a gps timer/data acquisition unit so I can start tracking my performance and work on my laptimes, setup, etc...

Since so many units offer similar features, I've decided to get something that most everyone else is using at the tracks I frequent here on the West coast, so I can share data with them and learn how they attack the same corners, brake, accelerate, etc...than opt for a unit with an extra feature or two that I might not ever use.

I run at tracks mainly in California, like Thunderhill, Infineon, Button Willow, etc...

I've looked at the software from more than a few...sure some are better than others, but in the end I will be able to work my way through it no matter how off the developers were that day

So give a shout and let me know what you are using and what tracks you have used it at...even better post some data files

Traqmate
Racepak - G2x or IQ3
Race Technology - DL1
Race-keeper
AIM
others??
Old 06-26-2010, 12:46 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of GPS due to the inaccuracies of most of the non-professional units (30 meters while stationary, 10 meters while in motion). If you're willing to pay upwards of $10K for GPS, then you're getting into the professional-level units which provide better accuracy.

The DL1 combines GPS and accelerometers, which provides relative positioning and velocity via GPS and true data acquisition via accelerometers and other data inputs.

For Solo I use a GTechPro which provides three mutually-perpendicular accelerometers and senses RPM via the 12V line (basically the alternator noise), and use software that I wrote (AXAnalyst).

Last edited by PDX_Racer; 06-26-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:50 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Out of you list I prefer the Traqmate system due to the software it comes with. t is also becoming the prefered unit so there are more people to swap with.

I also like the expanability of the system of OBII and external sensors. What it does like though is a good in car read out like the racepak and DL1 systems.

one thing I have noticed though is some of the free systems (iphone, smart phone) etc have gotten much better in the last 2 years. STill not up to the other system standards, but hey they are free.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:15 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I think I need to win the Lottery.. bump for an interesting thread. Maybe I'll be able to afford something in a few years. Basic maintenance items and track fees are eating up my budget... so this one is still a luxury until all my other wishlist items are purchased.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 AM
GT-Rob

I was sold on the traqmate but its just money I would rather spend elsewhere (like more track time!). Rather invest in a really good system down the road (racepack with dash, etc)

Right now I am looking at this:

http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...egory_Code=HLT

Obviously not as nice, but gets accurate lap times which is what I am concerned about.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:58 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by thekinn
I think I need to win the Lottery.. bump for an interesting thread. Maybe I'll be able to afford something in a few years. Basic maintenance items and track fees are eating up my budget... so this one is still a luxury until all my other wishlist items are purchased.
CHeck out some of the free ones like RaceChrono and Laptimer.

I am using racechrono and it's pretty good.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:14 AM
WestonP

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
I'm not a huge fan of GPS due to the inaccuracies of most of the non-professional units (30 meters while stationary, 10 meters while in motion). If you're willing to pay upwards of $10K for GPS, then you're getting into the professional-level units which provide better accuracy.
While that once was true, and my strong opinion as well, the technology has improved substantially over the years. That's due in part to the government no longer intentionally limiting the accuracy. I had to see it to believe it, but a friend's Traqmate proved itself to me, so I bought one and am quite pleased. Nowadays, even the iPhone 3G can pull off 9m accuracy (if you get it good GPS reception, which can be a challenge inside a car). Traqmate and other dedicated solutions are quite a bit better than that, and I'm easily able to see and compare different driving lines, where we're only talking about a foot or so of difference.

I've been working out a more affordable setup, and the GPS receiver I'm using is rated at an accuracy of < 2.5m at 10Hz, and it supports DGPS accuracy enhancements. This beats Traqmate, and that spec actually sells it short... although the accuracy may be off by 2.5m from the true Earth coordinates, its precision is repeatable down to a much smaller unit of measure, so you can clearly compare driving line changes and whatnot. Dump it into Google Earth and I can see what lane I'm driving in, any little zig-zags I do within the lane, etc. Pretty cool stuff.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:30 AM
WestonP

Originally Posted by mhoward1
one thing I have noticed though is some of the free systems (iphone, smart phone) etc have gotten much better in the last 2 years. STill not up to the other system standards, but hey they are free.
I think there's decent potential there, especially with systems that use an external high-quality GPS... MaxQdata's iPhone app supports this. It will always be inherently limited, but there can be a pretty attractive cost-to-benefit ratio for people who already own these phones.

And if all you want to do is make a video overlay of the track map & your position, speed, and accelerometers, then you don't need anything too fancy... the internal GPS and no-frills LogBox app can suffice for collecting the needed data, then you can do the rest on your computer. Here's an example with my old iPhone 3G: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjtoJiQ4-xg

The iPhone 3G had fairly poor GPS reception for that (it was placed on top of my Z's center storage compartment), but it did well enough and it can be improved if you give it a clear view of the sky (ie on the dash, or under the rear window glass). The iPhone 4 seems to have better GPS reception in the same spot in my Z though, so I may need to make a new video with it...

Last edited by WestonP; 06-30-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:12 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by WestonP
I think there's decent potential there, especially with systems that use an external high-quality GPS... MaxQdata's iPhone app supports this. It will always be inherently limited, but there can be a pretty attractive cost-to-benefit ratio for people who already own these phones.

And if all you want to do is make a video overlay of the track map & your position, speed, and accelerometers, then you don't need anything too fancy... the internal GPS and no-frills LogBox app can suffice for collecting the needed data, then you can do the rest on your computer. Here's an example with my old iPhone 3G: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjtoJiQ4-xg

The iPhone 3G had fairly poor GPS reception for that (it was placed on top of my Z's center storage compartment), but it did well enough and it can be improved if you give it a clear view of the sky (ie on the dash, or under the rear window glass). The iPhone 4 seems to have better GPS reception in the same spot in my Z though, so I may need to make a new video with it...
I actually enhanced my instance of RaceChrono with a Qstar 5 - 10 hz bluetooth receiver. It matches the AMB times almost exactly, and running with that and the Traqmate in the car the differences in track position is minimal (less than 1.5 feet).
Old 06-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Ataru074

I'm using a performance box... before with the crappy software was "meh" for the analysis, now with circuit tools is way better... is still missing a "delta G" or "delta overall G" for a better comparison between two laps but the "delta T" trace already helped me to find out where I must improve more (I'm comparing myself with a more experienced driver with the same system)

the important part of a telemetry hardware/software combo is IMHO:
the software first... with a crappy one you reduce a lot the potential
how many people have the same system and are willing to exchange the logs around the same road course.... especially more experienced one.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:22 PM
guitarist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used a Race-Keeper a few times, and found it easy to setup and run during an event (both road racing and autocross). It's easy to put in and out of a car (or multiple cars) for non-permanent install, too. And it uses GPS + 3-axis accelerometers, so it's pretty damn accurate.

It takes good video, integrates it all with data really easily, and gives good feedback--to a point. The data analysis software is a bit lacking, imo, especially for autocross, as the line plots it gives aren't very detailed--you can't really compare what's going on where at the level you'd need to get meaningful feedback when trying to see where one driver is faster than another. It's more useful for road racing, where the sector times, graphs, and lap-to-lap comparisons make more sense.

As for the MaxQData--I've dealt a lot with them, both as a customer and a distributor, and while the product works pretty well most of the time, when it doesn't, you have to wait ages for them to respond to inquiries. And it requires an unlock code anytime you install the software. And they appear to be going out of business, or at the least getting VERY lax with the response times.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:37 AM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WestonP

This seems like a really affordable solution for a budget racer just to get some eye candy on their videos as well as a little data. If I am understanding you correctly you used Dynolicious Log Box application to log the GPS/Accel data, and then Race Render to make the data visual over your video?
Old 07-01-2010, 11:57 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Here's a video of mine with RaceChrono and RaceChrono2avi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb6btarxASs

RaceChrono is free. if things work out there will be a hardware version with GPS receiver, 3 axle accelerometer, and OBII and other sensor inputs for under $299 bucks in the near future.

Last edited by mhoward1; 07-01-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:06 PM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Here's a video of mine with RaceChrono and RaceChrono2avi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb6btarxASs

RaceChrono is free. if things work out there will be a hardware version with GPS receiver, 3 axle accelerometer, and OBII and other sensor inputs for under $299 bucks in the near future.
Really cool, unfortunately I have a dreaded iphone so I am going to check out the dynolicious and maxqdata apps that are available for iphone and can be used by RaceRender
Old 07-01-2010, 12:25 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

nothing dreaded about iphone except AT&T

Old 07-01-2010, 01:44 PM
NismoZ_840

Traqmate seems to be the favored tool at the tracks I frequent. I'm using MaxQData with the bluetooth puck. Its inexpensive but quirky, spartan, and support has been nil here lately. I can't even create a user on their forum. Given that I'd go with a smartphone solution if on a budget or Traqmate. Having anything though with good consistancy and an in car display will help your improvement immensely.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:21 AM
Ataru074

I'm posting a screenshot of Circuit Tools...

I'm comparing my fast lap of last Saturday to a guy with a 996 gt3 (his lap comes from last September)...
I like the ability of seeing on the fly the "theoretical best lap" (depends on how many splits you put around... more = fastest time), a delta T chart and now you can run analysis sector by sector :-)

Old 07-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Bahnzii

Nice updates!!!

Keep the discussion going

On a related note, I sent email to 3 of the ones on my list and surprisingly in 2 weeks I have only received a response from Race-Keeper. Race-technology and Racepak have yet to respond...

Once I make a decision, I will definitely post back along with a review, etc...

If you already have a unit, feel free to update this thread with your pluses and minuses and wish list for the unit and software.

Cheers
Old 07-11-2010, 10:44 PM
350z-Helsinki

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I give my vote to Racechrono. Awesome piece of software. Combine it with a good 10 Hz or 5Hz gps and you are set.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:45 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My RaceLogic Performance Box does ok, though it does not have integrated video and track position (it doesn't look like this is what you were necessarily asking for though).

http://www.performancebox.co.uk/

I stole mine on Ebay for ~$200.

I go to the same tracks as you!

Quick Reply: GPS timer/Data acquisition...jump in and give out a shout for your unit