Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

First time at Mid-Ohio!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:05 PM
AznSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time at Mid-Ohio!

Hey everybody,

After a year long hiatus from track days, I had to get back. So I finally achieved my goal of going to Mid-Ohio for an HPDE.

This past weekend I attended a NASA Great Lakes event at Mid-Ohio. And lemme tell ya, that course is amazing! And what's more amazing is that we got to run the club course on Saturday and the pro course on Sunday! I definitely like the club course a lot more, the chicane adds a great element to the course.

Now I've only been to our local course (Waterford Hills), so this was the 2nd track I've ever been to. And boy do I have a lot to develop. With the huge amount of elevation changes at this course, I finally got a chance to really understand the feeling of weight transfer and how important it was to stay on the throttle through a turn and cresting a hill to keep the weight in the rear. I didn't even realize I could apply increasing throttle while I was turning (always lived by brake, turn, accel). I also got to learn trail braking which I'll be practicing a lot in the future.

Here's one vid from the 3rd session of the 1st day chasing down a s2k. Comments always welcome.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Qcb9GgQutI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1Qcb9GgQutI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

No vids of the pro course as it rained most of the morning (which forced me to be smooth) and it's pretty much the same course without the chicane.

Things I want to improve on:

1) Being more confident and going into 5th gear along the back stretch. As you can see, I'm just sitting on redline in 4th as I wasn't comfortable doing a 5-4-3 downshift.

2) Getting on the throttle a lot earlier and a lot more in the turn (ideally at the apex).

3) And basically just pushing the car more. Still a bit timid.

From my vids, I'm averaging a 2:00 lap (fastest was maybe 1:58). Still a ways off from others.

Next up, Grattan in September!
Old 07-27-2010, 01:58 AM
sektor 11

your line seems to be alot better than the s2k. good stuff.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:27 AM
Phreakdout

You are looking good. Smooth, and I agree, your lines are better than the S2K.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:34 AM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was the same way as you the first time I went to Mid Ohio. I stayed out of 5th gear going down the back straight. I was always terrified my brakes would go out or something. Good job man. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Hopefully you can make it down there again soon.