Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Thinking about joining my local scca...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thinking about joining my local scca...

I've always said that if there was anything around here other than a 1/8 mile drag strip, that I would start racing.

Well, turns out that a local scca chapter here exists and is running autox.

So, I'm very torn. Most of my modifications have been for show and I love them. (like the stereo)

If I'm going to start modding my car and getting it ready for the track. Some of the stuff I have will have to come out, and it worries me a little that I will do it all and regret it.

I have some time to make this decision, as I plan on prepping my car over the winter and getting it race ready for next season.

I'm just afraid I'll get nothing out of doing these events except heartache and ruining my car.

What do you guys think? Keep it a nice road car? Or get it track ready for next season.

Keep in mind I've never done this sort of organized racing, other than shooting a car in a straight line st the strip from time to time just for kicks.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:23 AM
reserved

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can relate to your dilemma.
Thats how I ended up with two 350Zs!!!!!!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Tackett

It's definatly a tough decision. I've put a lot of work into some things that I'll simply have to take off....
Old 09-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do it dude. **** show cars.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
+1 and so well said. Show cars are for the rainbow crowd, getting to drive your car is so much more fun than posing for some dudes.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:41 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tackett
I'm just afraid I'll get nothing out of doing these events except heartache and ruining my car.
You are probably a hot dog driver and have little to learn.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Zian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't treat it as an all or nothing thing. No need to completely tear the car apart for your first few events. Swap rims out and do an HPDE, ease your way in. Since you haven't had much experience, it doesn't matter if you strip the car down to nothing and make it a full race prepped vehicle, you won't be ultra-competitive. No need to pull the radio for your first track event. So you'll be a touch slower--if you find that you are bitten by the track bug (and you probably will be) then you won't have the same level of trepidation should you decide to proceed. If you felt like it was fun but something you don't need to spend a lot of time and money on, you won't have altered the car drastically. Forgive the turn of phrase, but you don't need to go 0-60 here. Do the minimum you need to do to make the car safe, and just go have fun.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Tackett

Originally Posted by davidv
You are probably a hot dog driver and have little to learn.

That wasn't what I meant bro.

I just meant that I don't know what to expect with this, or if I'll even be halfway decent at it anyway. Hell, for all I know it will be a few dudes in a parking lot with cones.

The last thing I want to do is tear my car apart in an effort to do this, and then wind up not even liking it.

I know nothing at this point other than "I think it would be fun."

That is simply what I meant.

Last edited by Tackett; 09-10-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Tackett

Originally Posted by Zian
I wouldn't treat it as an all or nothing thing. No need to completely tear the car apart for your first few events. Swap rims out and do an HPDE, ease your way in. Since you haven't had much experience, it doesn't matter if you strip the car down to nothing and make it a full race prepped vehicle, you won't be ultra-competitive. No need to pull the radio for your first track event. So you'll be a touch slower--if you find that you are bitten by the track bug (and you probably will be) then you won't have the same level of trepidation should you decide to proceed. If you felt like it was fun but something you don't need to spend a lot of time and money on, you won't have altered the car drastically. Forgive the turn of phrase, but you don't need to go 0-60 here. Do the minimum you need to do to make the car safe, and just go have fun.
This was the kind of advice I was looking for when I started this thread. Thanks man.

I didn't know I could even race with the stereo. Does my car have to be inspected by someone to ensure it's safety?

See? I'm totally clueless.
There is an event next weekend. I plan on going to spectate and see what it's all about around here.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:14 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Expanding on Zian's advice. The only changes I would make would make sure you car is safe.

If it's just AutoX I would try it out and only do the following.
1) make sure you brakes are good. Have enough pad (more than 1/4 of the pad left) and your brake fluid is fresh (good clear color and not too brown)
2) Check you tires, good air pressure, no bare spots, etc
3) Remove all loose items, nothing to fly around
4) get someone with some experience to ride with you the first couple of times. Will be even better if you can partner up with them for the day. Talk about how things work at that eent, and good practices like course walking.

If you want to try HPDE's, you have Summit Point less than an hour away from you. There is a club event there almost every weekend. track events are more expensive, but you get a lot more track time. You have to be a little more aware of personal and car safety though since the speeds are much higher.
1) Fresh fluid in the brakes
2) Check lug nut torque after each run ( that's not a bad idea for AutoX either)
and more that are available in the FAQ section

and get instruction...it makes everything better and I think you actually havge even more fun.

If you then decide you like this and want to start competing then look at modifying you car, until then and stock car is just fine.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:05 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x

I approve of this message.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:21 AM
davidv

That wasn't what I meant bro.

I just meant that I don't know what to expect with this, or if I'll even be halfway decent at it anyway. Hell, for all I know it will be a few dudes in a parking lot with cones.

The last thing I want to do is tear my car apart in an effort to do this, and then wind up not even liking it.

I know nothing at this point other than "I think it would be fun."

That is simply what I meant.
That's cool. I have limited SCCA and non-SCCA autocross experience. SCCA rules and regulations are pretty tight. Non-SCCA club rules are more liberal. That said...

Autocross is one hell of an eye-opening adrenaline-pumping sport. What looks like simple driving around cones takes strategy, technique and extreme concentration. This is a low speed sport that will quickly show your faults.

If I run, for example, 64 - 62 - 60 seconds, I am happy because I am improving. Others divers may be running 55 seconds but no matter. Like any other sport my biggest competitor is me.

“My car is not ready” is common in the autocross, road racing and drag racing forums. I say bologna. You may not be ready - your car is.

Many members are content cruising the hood with triple-14 inch sub woofers going boom-boom-boom. If this is your goal stick with it.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:33 AM
davidv

BTW no one has mentioned that autocross is a club event. Unlike drag racing where the paid staff takes care of everything. Club members set-up and takedown the course. Club members man the stations. Club members run the event. Club rules are generally "If you do not work - you do not drive."
Old 09-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I had your same dilemma for a while.... So I joined NASA and did research. I'm definitely looking into SCCA in South FL b/c it seems theyre events are more frequent.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Tackett

Thanks for all the great info guys.

I'm going to just take everyones advice and keep my Car the way it is. This is really great!
Old 09-11-2010, 03:44 PM
davidv

Thanks for all the great info guys.

I'm going to just take everyones advice and keep my Car the way it is. This is really great!

Well stick a number on the side doors and lets do it!
Old 09-11-2010, 04:10 PM
ntrinsik

Keep it the way it is.

I had the same dilemma as you initially.. but I got over it. My car's a boat, it's an auto, and it has like an added 200lbs in audio gear, but I still go autox/track regularly.

I may look into buying a 350Z in a couple years to turn into a dedicated car.. but in the meantime, I'll gain more and more experience.

Last edited by ntrinsik; 09-11-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Zian

Glad to help. Whatever event you decide to do, research and do some prep before. If its autox, go read the SCCA guidlines and dive into their website, same deal with NASA or any other sanctioning body--they want new people in so they put out plenty of good info. mhoward1's advice was great, only thing that I would add is for that if you do go the HPDE/full track route, make sure you have high-temp brake fluid (to avoid boiling) and aggressive enough pads. I believe for fluid Motul and ATE's super blue are both great. Pad's are a personal thing, but since I DD my car as well, I have had great results with Ferodo DS2500's. I have a blast and the only thing that I do is clear everything loose out of the car (no CD cases or anything), make sure my tires are in good shape and at the proper PSI, check fluids and pads, bring a torque wrench, water, sunscreen, and blue painters tape for numbers and to give some minimal protection on the front of the car/headlights. Bottom line: HAVE FUN!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Tackett

I am so pumped for this!

Going to the next meet this weekend just to spectate and talk to some guys and just get the lay of the land.

It's too late in the season to just go diving in I think.
I'm going to just join and go to the last few events. Just going to start researching well this winter and look forward to next season.

Thanks for all the help guys!!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:47 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be careful. One suck on the Crack Pipe of Racing and you won't have any money - ever.

Quick Reply: Thinking about joining my local scca...