Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Nissan FINALLY has a 350Z brake duct!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 01:28 PM
GrandAm350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are no longer made.

Molds have been mothballed.

Nissan Motorsports my have some sets left, but doubt it. You might want to try them.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:02 AM
crZydave

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I did my own ducting recently. Here are a few pics. I reused the holes in the bumper for the little plastic pieces that used to go in the corners of the front grill to mount the brackets. I also had to remove the washer fluid reservoir so I could get the tubing routed to the wheel on the right side of the car.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:51 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Please post how you hooked up to the spindle/caliper.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:52 AM
SE5spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting way of doing it, mine was similar.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:00 PM
N80

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Please post how you hooked up to the spindle/caliper.
That's what I'd like to see too.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:35 AM
crZydave

It's by no means the best setup. I didn't do anything fancy with the connection to the spindle/caliper. I can't remember the thickness of flat bar I used (I used two different thicknesses), but it was aluminum and about 1 inch wide. I used a thinner flat bar and rolled it into an ellipse (still fairly round but I tried) with a diameter slightly larger than the tubing. Then I slid it inside the tubing and used it like a spring to hold it in place. I had a large washer and bolt with a locknut to keep it from sliding off the tubing and used it to mount to the L bracket I made. The L bracket was made with a little thicker flat bar and mounted to the lower Stoptech caliper bolt. That's it.

There wasn't much open space to get inside the rotor with the Stoptechs. I might have to go back and redesign it at some point, but I wanted to try this first. If the rotors stop getting the micro cracks, and I get extended pad and rotor life, then I'm not changing anything.

I didn't have any issues with it after my first event with them on. I need to get some new rotors to see if they are working, but I'll wait till these are dead since Stoptech charges a sh!tload for replacement rings.

Last edited by crZydave; 10-20-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:55 PM
dnguyent

I bought a set of these CF brake cooling kits from Trakhaus years ago. I sidelined my track days by having another kid. In any case, they are sitting on a shelf in my garage, and have never been installed. I don't think I'll ever get around to install them, let alone squeeze in another track day for the next few years. They were $300. If anyone is interested in buying the set, please PM me.

Last edited by dnguyent; 10-25-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Add photograph
Old 10-25-2013, 04:25 PM
isy_nismo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dnguyent
I bought a set of these CF brake cooling kits from Trakhaus years ago. I sidelined my track days by having another kid. In any case, they are sitting on a shelf in my garage, and have never been installed. I don't think I'll ever get around to install them, let alone squeeze in another track day for the next few years. They were $300. If anyone is interested in buying the set, please PM me.
You have a pm. Thanks!!
Old 10-25-2013, 07:43 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by crZydave
It's by no means the best setup. I didn't do anything fancy with the connection to the spindle/caliper. I can't remember the thickness of flat bar I used (I used two different thicknesses), but it was aluminum and about 1 inch wide. I used a thinner flat bar and rolled it into an ellipse (still fairly round but I tried) with a diameter slightly larger than the tubing. Then I slid it inside the tubing and used it like a spring to hold it in place. I had a large washer and bolt with a locknut to keep it from sliding off the tubing and used it to mount to the L bracket I made. The L bracket was made with a little thicker flat bar and mounted to the lower Stoptech caliper bolt. That's it.

There wasn't much open space to get inside the rotor with the Stoptechs. I might have to go back and redesign it at some point, but I wanted to try this first. If the rotors stop getting the micro cracks, and I get extended pad and rotor life, then I'm not changing anything.

I didn't have any issues with it after my first event with them on. I need to get some new rotors to see if they are working, but I'll wait till these are dead since Stoptech charges a sh!tload for replacement rings.
I doubt you can keep then cool enought to stop micro cracks.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:38 PM
crZydave

You very well may be right. The only point of reference I have is my buddy that tracked his C6 Z06. He did basically the same thing and it greatly helped his rotor life. It didn't stop the micro cracks, but it helped.

All I really want is to be able to wear down the rotor to its min thickness before it cracks in half. I got about 1/2 through the last set of rotors before all the micro cracks connected and I had complete rotor failure.

What are you thinking needs to be done? Seal it off so all the air gets inside the center of the rotor? (BTW, I'm not trying to sound like a *****, I really wanna know)

BTW, I don't even know for sure if there is even any air making it to the rotor.

Last edited by crZydave; 10-29-2013 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:15 PM
randyzimmer

Default Something New

Something I whipped up...

Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 PM
sidewaysil80

^^^
Would you be willing to make a set without the fan? Im looking for something similar to the trakhaus carbon ones that focuses air into the rotors center...but I cant justify $300 for theirs. I don't have the time/skills to make something and would gladly pay for such a product if it didn't carry an inflated price tag.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:06 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

That has a brushless motor and it's an EDF unit. That will push a crap ton of air.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:45 PM
sidewaysil80

That has a brushless motor and it's an EDF unit. That will push a crap ton of air.
As of now are there any options that mount to the spindle with just a simple flange?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:56 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by sidewaysil80
As of now are there any options that mount to the spindle with just a simple flange?
Not that I know of, but I'm going to just rivet http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...uctflanges.php onto the heat shield.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:33 AM
sidewaysil80

Not that I know of, but I'm going to just rivet http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...uctflanges.php onto the heat shield.
Thats def. an option. The PO removed the front dust shields on mine, it obviously wouldn't be hard to put them back and go that route, but I just learned of the trackhaus ones and love the design...just not the price. I wonder how one could replicate them, maybe with a different material; tin or aluminum perhaps.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:56 AM
sfarrah

Originally Posted by randyzimmer
Something I whipped up...

what cfm do they flow? much of a power draw?
Old 11-06-2013, 09:00 AM
randyzimmer

Hi Sideways,
I could make a pair with the size inlet you want for $150.
I'll give you the drill, tap, allen and buttonheads too.
(but the fans are the way to go)
The aluminum taps very easily, just a little light oil on the tools.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:21 AM
randyzimmer

I haven't measured the flow, I can program from 1 to 27.5A(each!)
I think 10A is the sweet spot, good volume, lower noise level, reasonable wiring and draw.
Here's an old test I did, be sure to tun down the sound. You'll see the turning duct get pushed off as the revs come up to the full 27A speed:

I had a message the video didn't exist when I tested it, go to You Tube and search:
prototype RooDuct fan duct test

Last edited by randyzimmer; 11-06-2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added turn down the sound, it's loud!
Old 11-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Blurvision

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

It would be killer to have the variable amp fan hooked up to a temp sensor, gets faster as the rotor get hot.

Quick Reply: Nissan FINALLY has a 350Z brake duct!