Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

My track car build

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

The project is coming along nicely... congrats
Old 11-15-2010, 08:59 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any pictures of you guys cars, how you are mounted the seat. Are you using a custom mount, is it a fixed mount? Thanks, next project looking for some ideas and pics.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 AM
nkohler

Originally Posted by mw9
Any pictures of you guys cars, how you are mounted the seat. Are you using a custom mount, is it a fixed mount? Thanks, next project looking for some ideas and pics.
I will have pics of mine in the next week or so. Mine will be a custom fixed mount that is attached to the cage rather than the floor. Will post those as soon as I get them.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:33 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is mounted to a custom steel mount that bolts to the floor. The most important thing is to not use a sliding mount. Not only does it put you higher up in the car, but do you really want to trust one in a serious impact? You are the only driver for your car, more than likely, so mount your seat for you.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:59 AM
mw9

Originally Posted by nkohler
I will have pics of mine in the next week or so. Mine will be a custom fixed mount that is attached to the cage rather than the floor. Will post those as soon as I get them.
Originally Posted by ThreeFiveZero Z
Mine is mounted to a custom steel mount that bolts to the floor. The most important thing is to not use a sliding mount. Not only does it put you higher up in the car, but do you really want to trust one in a serious impact? You are the only driver for your car, more than likely, so mount your seat for you.
Thanks guys
Old 11-17-2010, 09:01 AM
sfarrah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nkohler
If NASA PT is the only way, then perhaps I need to switch focus and maximize the car's preparation for that series?
NASA ST is another option if you ever want to add some HP.
I'd love to stay in PT here in Texas but the car counts just aren't there. ST3 looks like a bust but we seem to have decent fields in ST2 so that's the direction I'm heading.

Good luck on your build. It's great to see more Z's gutted, caged and ready for the track!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:56 AM
racerbob4

My son and I have built 2 350Z's for SCCA T2 - T3 in the last 5 years. We also built one Mazda RX-7 for IT racing and one T2 Camaro so we have had a lot of experience. Neighther one of us is a welder so we tow our cars to Mark McMahon who does cages full time in his shop in Canton, Ohio. He is the best cage guy east of the Mississippi and very reasonable for cost. You can see his work at www.rollcageguy.com . His phone number is 330.645.6368. Click gallery and then look for Nissan and you will see the car cage he built just before our car. Its too bad that when he built that car you had to keep in a lot of the interior and the floor carpets so you really dont see his work with the mounting plates. Anyone wanting to build a care really should look into the SCCA site, looks for "club racing" then look under "cars and rules" and then "2010 Club Racing General Competiton rules and regulations" then scroll down to page 83 and you will see the care requirments and some drawings that will be a huge help. Following the SCCA rules give you years and years of racing experience and engineering that is built into the requirments. Our last two 350Z cages are very similar to the blue car in Marks site but with minor changes that we think we like. In our 2003 car we put in a Petty bar from the hoop to the lower right front cage mounting point. In our 2007 car we omitted that bar to save weight but now that we are running in T3 we wish he had the bar as our car has over 160#'s of lead in it. All SCCA cages are acceptable in all other sports car racing series so I strongly recommend you follow the SCCA rules and make your car more universally acceptable in any series. Good luck with your build.

Bob Hines
Old 11-21-2010, 08:56 AM
bbs350z

Originally Posted by TheSyn3rgist
I hate you. I've been looking for a cheap 03 so I can get started on something like this...

If you make it to Denver, you should hit me up! It would be nice to have a Z buddy 'round these parts...
There's a guy around me in chicago selling a complete z for about 6k. Hit me up if your interested
Old 11-21-2010, 03:30 PM
laze1

I run PTB here in NASA-SE. But again, not many cars in class and only one other Z-car in the Region and he is "semi-retired" due to the economy...also had a S2000 out of Florida but I think he is out also.

My only choice is to move up to PTA and run with a bunch of Thunder Roadsters, They usually have 4-6 cars per race...and I am about mid-pack as far as speed is concerned with them. But doubt that i could beat the top guys. But I would have some cars to race with.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:06 AM
sfarrah

Originally Posted by laze1
My only choice is to move up to PTA and run with a bunch of Thunder Roadsters, They usually have 4-6 cars per race...and I am about mid-pack as far as speed is concerned with them. But doubt that i could beat the top guys. But I would have some cars to race with.
That really surprises me. I always wondered why TR's were classed in PTA as the few that competed here in TX weren't competitive. It was great when they ran PTA(for some time they had their own class) as they filled the class and made contingency Hoosiers available. I don't think I saw a single one race this past year though. Hopefully if you add some mods and jump to PTA you can lead the pack.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:18 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The TR's we have running in the SE have logged some pretty quick lap times on shorter or more technical tracks. They don't have the top end for really big tracks, but on smaller ones they can run with some of the top dogs.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:21 AM
laze1

In the Atlanta @ Charlotte areas have a ton of Thunder Roadsters and 600 cars that run Oval racing, then get retired and remade as road-racers...

The guys around here are pretty quick and race VERY tightly...they stop/corner very well, but not much on the top end...at some tighter tracks they are faster..on longer tracks they are slower.

Anyways...I just like to race. I had actually planned to run SpecE30 in 2011. But I got such a SWEET deal on the Z-car I couldn't pass it up
Old 11-22-2010, 07:24 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Laze and I are talking about the same guys.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:32 AM
laze1

Great minds think alike

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Laze and I are talking about the same guys.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:17 PM
nkohler

small update, more pics later tonight.

Windshield Bar detail. Gusset bars up to the laterals will follow.

Windshield bar

Speaker enclosure removed, main hoop and laterals
Old 11-23-2010, 06:33 PM
nkohler

More progress:

Rear bars going in

Roof bars

Tight against the A-pillar

Old 11-27-2010, 07:48 AM
nkohler

More progress, he is going to make the passenger side X bars more people friendly by making them a bit lower.

Forward pad and X bar attachment points.

Main hoop diagonal

Rear hoop brace pad

Lateral/RHB node and main hoop diagonal joint.

Door bar clearance to door

Pass side door bar

Pass side fit to the chasis

Main hoop pad in progress...
Old 11-28-2010, 05:09 AM
roger22

Is that cage SCCA and NASA legal?
Old 11-28-2010, 05:54 AM
nkohler

Originally Posted by roger22
Is that cage SCCA and NASA legal?
it is being built NASA legal, but the cage itself will be legal for many SCCA classes, the car as a whole will not qualify for some SCCA classes but the cage will be perfectly fine.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:59 PM
nkohler

Last of the pics, picking it up tomorrow!

Really happy with the work. Now I have some work cut out for me for the paint and some other little fabrication things.

Quick Reply: My track car build