Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

My track car build

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 06:38 PM
nkohler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GT-Rob
The sound deadener is demonic. I spent a day with dry ice, but I found it to be slow and only worked on flat parts. Heat helped, but as you know leaves the glue. I take it a bucket of goo-gone and a grinder helped yours out? Either way very good job! Look forward to seeing the car come along.
Yes, goo-gone, Goof-off(xylene(careful this **** is toxic, wear protection)), and a wire wheel brush on a pneumatic rotary tool seemed the most effective.

First use the solvents to loosen up the stuff (5mins or so) then wipe off as much as you can with shop towels, then go to town with the wire brush. It will be much softer due to the solvents. Careful, **** will fling everywhere, cover other things appropriately.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM
nkohler

Originally Posted by scotts300
Looks good - about the same status as my gutted car (still with Kirk 4-point, but about ready for a cage). I love the CCWs, I just can't stomach tracking such an expensive wheel (especially after busting one in an off-track experience at Laguna last Monday). I love the feeling of tracking the lightly-modded (270rwhp) and lightened 350Z, but have a hard time getting past the mantra of Vettes that have infiltrated the HPDEs that I attend. It takes laps of riding them in the turns to get them to lift off the throttle to allow the safe pass. An extra 50whp would work wonders.
Awesome, yeah I know the inevitable will be that I need at least 315-330hp at the wheel to hope to come close to the C5 vettes. At this point I just want a car that is safe, and purpose built to allow me to get the seat time and driver skills.

These CCW's were actually take-offs from SGmotorpsports Koni Challenge car. So they were already pretty dinged up and track ready. Love them!
Old 11-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Sick... good work.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:07 PM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nkohler
Awesome, yeah I know the inevitable will be that I need at least 315-330hp at the wheel to hope to come close to the C5 vettes. At this point I just want a car that is safe, and purpose built to allow me to get the seat time and driver skills.

These CCW's were actually take-offs from SGmotorpsports Koni Challenge car. So they were already pretty dinged up and track ready. Love them!
You dont need that much, trust me. At least here in NASA, in PTA/TTA, those C5 Z06s are only allowed to do slicks and sway bars with their points. They put down about 340whp I believe. A Z with 300whp or so, get as much weight out as possible, good suspension, and some aero can beat them...at least thats what I tell myself as we make a run at the National Championships next season

Last edited by ThreeFiveZero Z; 11-10-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 PM
TheSyn3rgist

I hate you. I've been looking for a cheap 03 so I can get started on something like this...

If you make it to Denver, you should hit me up! It would be nice to have a Z buddy 'round these parts...
Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Panda350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good so far...wish I had the funds to just tear up my insides as well...but I gotta daily mine. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:55 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Just sent this like to Bryan (lightning guy), his is probably the most gutted Z I have seen to date
Old 11-11-2010, 06:19 AM
Lightning Guy

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Just sent this like to Bryan (lightning guy), his is probably the most gutted Z I have seen to date
Hola, you rang?

OP, Looks good. I didn't even leave the dash in mine, ut since ou are wanting to do NASA and SCCA, good call by leaving it in. I'll see if I can find some recent pics of mine.

do you plan on leaving window motors and such in the car? just asking, since I can show you how to save a bunch of wieght on wiring. I took out about 22 pounds of wiring just in the cabin and relocating "certain" things.

Last edited by Lightning Guy; 11-11-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:28 AM
nkohler

For now the window glass is staying in. I just could not, at this point, lose the glass. This car will occasionally go to local meets/shows. Plus, I dont have an enclosed trailer. At this point I also kept all HVAC functionality.

In the future though I see the doors being gutted and at that point I will have my door bars re-done to take advantage of that new space.

Your car looks great! I know I wont get THAT extreme, however I will be removing some of the extra wiring and rear wiper motor/wiper and a few other things after the cage is all in. It will certainly be a work in progress.

Originally Posted by Lightning Guy
Hola, you rang?

OP, Looks good. I didn't even leave the dash in mine, ut since ou are wanting to do NASA and SCCA, good call by leaving it in. I'll see if I can find some recent pics of mine.

do you plan on leaving window motors and such in the car? just asking, since I can show you how to save a bunch of wieght on wiring. I took out about 22 pounds of wiring just in the cabin and relocating "certain" things.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:40 AM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ThreeFiveZero Z
You dont need that much, trust me. At least here in NASA, in PTA/TTA, those C5 Z06s are only allowed to do slicks and sway bars with their points. They put down about 340whp I believe. A Z with 300whp or so, get as much weight out as possible, good suspension, and some aero can beat them...at least thats what I tell myself as we make a run at the National Championships next season
The Nationals are at Mid Ohio next year. I will see you there. I'd love to check out your car. I've read your "build" thread. I'll be running TTB.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 AM
Lightning Guy

For now the window glass is staying in. I just could not, at this point, lose the glass. This car will occasionally go to local meets/shows. Plus, I dont have an enclosed trailer. At this point I also kept all HVAC functionality.

In the future though I see the doors being gutted and at that point I will have my door bars re-done to take advantage of that new space.

Your car looks great! I know I wont get THAT extreme, however I will be removing some of the extra wiring and rear wiper motor/wiper and a few other things after the cage is all in. It will certainly be a work in progress.
thanx. If you need any "input" don't hesitate to buzz me.

Also someone mentioned about hiding the oil cooler, I agree with their statement, but mine is so big I couldn't.
Attached Thumbnails My track car build-dsc_4358.jpg  
Old 11-11-2010, 06:45 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

^ Yep, sounds good. Too early to tell if Ill run TTA in addition to PTA. My heart is in w2w now, though the 1200 mile tow each way probably makes it worth to run them both.

Lose the HVAC stuff, its overrated

Think about running some kind of baffled oil pan like the APS as well to prevent starvation from oil shloshing left and right. I blew an engine back in Jan 09 because this or so we think. We run the APS oil pan, and a thick Setrab custom oil cooler and have had no issues after 15 months of abuse(40+ tracks days both time trial and w2w). It brings the oil capacity to about 8qts or so. We were gonna run a Accusump but never got around to it.

Last edited by ThreeFiveZero Z; 11-11-2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:53 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

I'm the other Colorado racer that Nismo840 referred to. Just stumbled upon this thread and read it with interest. I've run the Nissan Sport project T2 car for the past thress seasons in SCCA T2 and NASA PTB and really enjoyed it. The only problem I see with your build is that it exceeds the T2 prep rules in some instances. For example, the Z is overweight for T2 specs, but you are NOT allowed to strip the undercoating or sound deadening material out of the car. I'd also suggest you carefully examine the GCR and Touring specs for rollcages to make sure it meets the rules. It would be a real shame to put all this work into the car and then find its illegal for racing in certain categories.

Of course, you can also go race in NASA, but the rules package there moves the car into PTB with just the standard T2 mods. After running two NASA National Championships in '07-08, you're fooling yourself if you think the Z will be a winner in PTA.

I could go on and on, but my suggestion is to consider each step of your build carefully before you jump in and change the car. The rollcage, safety equipment and other aspects of building a track-only Z have been done with an eye towards racing in a wide variety of sanctioning bodies and venues as possible.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:06 AM
nkohler

Originally Posted by Lightning Guy
thanx. If you need any "input" don't hesitate to buzz me.

Also someone mentioned about hiding the oil cooler, I agree with their statement, but mine is so big I couldn't.
Could you give me some clue as to how you did your tow hook? I have the same bumper and the OE bolt hole seems to be way too far up the bumper to drill into the flat area you did. How did you affix it?

Last edited by nkohler; 11-11-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:11 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Originally Posted by dkmura
I'm the other Colorado racer that Nismo840 referred to. Just stumbled upon this thread and read it with interest. I've run the Nissan Sport project T2 car for the past thress seasons in SCCA T2 and NASA PTB and really enjoyed it. The only problem I see with your build is that it exceeds the T2 prep rules in some instances. For example, the Z is overweight for T2 specs, but you are NOT allowed to strip the undercoating or sound deadening material out of the car. I'd also suggest you carefully examine the GCR and Touring specs for rollcages to make sure it meets the rules. It would be a real shame to put all this work into the car and then find its illegal for racing in certain categories.

Of course, you can also go race in NASA, but the rules package there moves the car into PTB with just the standard T2 mods. After running two NASA National Championships in '07-08, you're fooling yourself if you think the Z will be a winner in PTA.

I could go on and on, but my suggestion is to consider each step of your build carefully before you jump in and change the car. The rollcage, safety equipment and other aspects of building a track-only Z have been done with an eye towards racing in a wide variety of sanctioning bodies and venues as possible.
Well since to my knowledge, no Z has ever won in PT-anything at Nationals, maybe we should all just quit
Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 AM
Lightning Guy

Could you give me some clue as to how you did your tow hook? I have the same bumper and the OE bolt hole seems to be way too far up the bumper to drill into the flat area you did. How did you affix it?
Well it ain't pretty but I used a unibit to make a 1" hole and then a hacksaw blade to "clearance" the underside of the bumper's mouth. The top of the hook is actually inside the bumper cover. I had to put the tow hook on in stages. First the post, then the bumper cover, then the hook.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:29 AM
nkohler

Originally Posted by dkmura

Understood. My fabricator is pretty versed in both rule books. I am going to contact him today and discuss the direction of this car as far as competition goes.

I really do not see myself being able to follow a circuit enough to compete, well, not in the next 5 years anyhow. I really just wanted to build this so that it COULD be competitive one day, and until then, do a bunch of DE and PDX events and enjoy what I can both afford the $ and time to do. Embarrassingly, it looks like I may have already botched up my eligibility in T2.

If NASA PT is the only way, then perhaps I need to switch focus and maximize the car's preparation for that series?

I appreciate the feedback, even be it a bit negative.. its things I should probably already know.

Last edited by nkohler; 11-11-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:13 AM
mw9

Thanks for the pictures, keep em coming. I am getting to that point right now.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:00 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Aside from SCCA T2, NASA PT is the only way to go with this car. If NASA is your goal, start doing their HPDE program, maybe spend some time in Time Trials. The TT rules are identical to the PT rules so you can build for both.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 AM
nkohler

Originally Posted by ThreeFiveZero Z
Aside from SCCA T2, NASA PT is the only way to go with this car. If NASA is your goal, start doing their HPDE program, maybe spend some time in Time Trials. The TT rules are identical to the PT rules so you can build for both.
That does seem like a reasonable route to take.

My fabricator is calling Bryan Cohn the Race Director for NASA midwest to talk a bit about the build if we were going to ditch SCCA touring considerations for a NASA PT build. We talked about removal of the speaker box and things, and he wanted to touch base with Bryan about rules and points.

Fortunately all we have done so far is mock up of the main hoop. Looks like I will need to commit to a few things in the next 24 hours that will decide direction.

Quick Reply: My track car build