Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

disabling abs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 12:39 AM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default disabling abs?

How many of you, autoxers, disable ABS at the track?
Last autox event, i slammed on brakes many times when cornering and most of the time, ABS went off. i think i get screeching noise from brakes now because of this..
I don't know if ABS helps for autox but i didn't like it keep going off when trying to turn sharply.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:57 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

99% of the time ABS is helping you a lot more than it's hurting you. If the ABS is engaged then most likely the car would have had lock up at that point. Even with trail braking you aren't locking the wheels up, just shifting weight in the chassis to get the car to rotate.

I would love to have ABS in my race car. One less thing to worry about.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:52 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good idea. And at the same time you may as well disable power steering and power brakes. Real men do not need that fancy stuff.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:01 AM
350Zdj

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOOL @ davidv.

I only disable VDC (or the traction control)

ABS is very useful.

Last edited by 350Zdj; 01-21-2011 at 06:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't see a true benefit to disabling it. Just make a driver adjustment, take a mental note when it engages and stay under that threshold.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:48 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMStanced
I don't know if ABS helps for autox but i didn't like it keep going off when trying to turn sharply.
Then learn how to brake.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:02 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok,
so let's actually try to be helpful here. The truth is if ABS is engaging at turn in you have braked too late and too hard. Engaing the ABS before turn in can work out just fine, but you want to be off the brakes before you turn into the corner unless trail braking. Even with trail braking you don't want to be full on the brakes, you want to have just enough weight on the front of the car to start rotation, then easily back off the brake and on the throttle to keep the amount of turn that you want.

For best results on 90% of the corners though you want to use the throttle to steer the car, not the brakes. To do that you need to be completely off the brakes before turn in and at least starting to apply the throttle at turn in. Even in low powered cars you can get rotation with the throttle if your entry speed is good. After turn in if you find the front is pushing then start to back off the throttle (no all the way off, just some), and open the steering up a hair.

This well get a lot better results than braking all the way through the turn. All you are doing is loading up the front and causing the car to plow through the turn.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Zazz93

Originally Posted by betamotorsports
Then learn how to brake.
Gotta love the simplicity

But really, Beta is pretty much on target. As mhoward1 stated "The truth is if ABS is engaging at turn in you have braked too late and too hard". Disabling the ABS when you locked it up like this will only complicate things because now you have to modulate the brakes to get traction back. At this point don't look to the car to make you faster, the malfunction is with the organic interface. Good news is this is not hard to learn, listen to what mhoward1 wrote and that will get you one step closer. Also look for a little in car instruction, that will be the best track mod you can do.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:03 AM
betamotorsports

I do need to mention that I met Kris (JDMStanced) last Sunday and rode with him as an instructor on his first run. He did well and was fine to run on his own. Unfortunately it was a Championship event and I could not go on any subsequent runs because he was competing in the Novice class, which I think he won.

I think I pissed him off by saying that he needs to raise his car about an inch...
Old 01-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Zazz93

I do need to mention that I met Kris (JDMStanced) last Sunday and rode with him as an instructor on his first run. He did well and was fine to run on his own. Unfortunately it was a Championship event and I could not go on any subsequent runs because he was competing in the Novice class, which I think he won.

I think I pissed him off by saying that he needs to raise his car about an inch...
That's cool, at least it says he's on the right track (willing to take instruction and ability).

P.S.
I think most Z owners need to raise their cars by about an inch, but that's just me.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:21 AM
christoc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it even possible to disable the ABS? Pull a fuse? I would never try. Perhaps what you hit though was Ice Mode, and not just ABS?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:24 AM
halfrice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what event was this? always down for some local competitions
Old 01-21-2011, 10:38 AM
JDMStanced

OH so you were my instructor! LOL I couldnt see you very well with the helmet on, and when blood was boiling inside of me in the grid
you didn't **** me off, i was just..a little sad that someone said that it's crucial to raise the car for AUtox. My car used to be 1 inch LOWER than now. it looked awesome but had to raise it to my current height for more suspension travel still not enough bump travel though.
On my third run, i shaved like 10 sec off from the first run. Keep telling myself, brake hard and accelerate hard in straightaways. On my last run, i overdid it and ABS was kicking in every corner, sliding, and hit a cone (still ran little faster than the first run) hahah

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Ok,
so let's actually try to be helpful here. The truth is if ABS is engaging at turn in you have braked too late and too hard. Engaing the ABS before turn in can work out just fine, but you want to be off the brakes before you turn into the corner unless trail braking. Even with trail braking you don't want to be full on the brakes, you want to have just enough weight on the front of the car to start rotation, then easily back off the brake and on the throttle to keep the amount of turn that you want.

For best results on 90% of the corners though you want to use the throttle to steer the car, not the brakes. To do that you need to be completely off the brakes before turn in and at least starting to apply the throttle at turn in. Even in low powered cars you can get rotation with the throttle if your entry speed is good. After turn in if you find the front is pushing then start to back off the throttle (no all the way off, just some), and open the steering up a hair.

This well get a lot better results than braking all the way through the turn. All you are doing is loading up the front and causing the car to plow through the turn.
Thank you so much, Howard. I'll try this on Jan 30 event if i go.
Originally Posted by christoc
Is it even possible to disable the ABS? Pull a fuse? I would never try. Perhaps what you hit though was Ice Mode, and not just ABS?
i remember seeing a thread doing this for drift cars. Thought it could help for autox..
Originally Posted by halfrice
it was on jan16 called Deja Vu All over Again.
Come to an event on jan 30 with me it's in SD

Last edited by JDMStanced; 01-21-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:55 AM
betamotorsports

Originally Posted by halfrice
Go here: http://www.solo2.com
Old 01-21-2011, 02:03 PM
halfrice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

waiting for the el toro events, only live a couple of blocks away from it now
Old 01-21-2011, 02:06 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

I get some abs feedback at times, but it is usually when I get a bit too ambitious on the stop pedal.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by christoc
ABS-VDC-TCS is a single computer. VDC and TCS are driver selectable. ABS is not. I assume if you disconnect the ABS-VDC-TCS computer, you will create an electronic nightmare.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:48 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by JDMStanced
i slammed on brakes many times when cornering
Why did you do that?

NOTE: Few if any drivers have activated ABS. Find an open safe highway. 60 MPH. Hit the brakes HARD. Your brain will have a difficult time telling your foot what to do. ABS activated sounds like a hammer slamming the brake rotors.

I practice emergency manoeuvres BEFORE they are emergencies. Try ABS in the rain. Try ABS in a long curve. It is an amazing system.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:54 PM
JDMStanced

It was my first time autoxing..didn't know what to do except for thinking, "let's go fast"
lol
Old 01-21-2011, 03:38 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

First time - then don't touch a thing on the car. You have a lot to learn and need lots of seat time before you worry about modifying the cars behavoir.

Probably one of the first things we teach noobs is that you have to be smooth on the brake and gas. Sudden, hard stops and throttle tend to upset the car and make it difficult to control, especially if you are new to it.

Quick Reply: disabling abs?