Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Video of me at BIR race track

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 02:29 PM
silverbullet_Z

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Video of me at BIR race track

This was a video of my first session at the BIR race track, and just getting a feel for the track as it was my first time with my Z. The video was taken with my GoPro HD camera with suction mount. I wish I had video of my 2nd and 3rd sessions but it was my first time using my GoPro and I thought I hit record on my 2nd session but didnt and my 3rd it some how got switched over to camera mode and took one pic of when I hit the record button.

Oh well had a fun time. On that long straight away with the first turn I was only redlining 4th gear then letting off in my first session and then using 5th in my second and third sessions as my confidence went up. Like I said just was getting a feel for the track. I was using Nitto NT05 tires with Volk GTS wheels. The tires where awesome for the first 3-4 laps but after that I lost all confidence in them.

But anyways.... Here's the vid, kind of long. That black car that was two in front of me to start the race was a newer M5 with the V10 and pushing 500 plus hp and a tuned suspension. Really cool guy to talk to after the race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePR_WG-8m7k
Old 07-31-2011, 04:52 PM
hellsoldiers08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

seems to me the bmw had you in the straights but on the corners it didn't. what did the bmw have and what did you have on mods?
Old 07-31-2011, 05:27 PM
silverbullet_Z

Originally Posted by hellsoldiers08
seems to me the bmw had you in the straights but on the corners it didn't. what did the bmw have and what did you have on mods?
Not sure on what he had for suspension but it was a few things, memory fails once again.

My mods:
Hotchkis F/R sways, GT Spec F/R braces, Koni Sport adjustable Shocks, Tein S-Tech springs, Hawk pads, Quaife LSD, Redline Fluids, Nismo Diff cooling plate, HKS True Dual Exhaust, Berk HFC, Nismo Cams, Kinetix SSV (yea I know), Stillen Radiator, Samco Coolant hoses, JWT Popcharger, and a few other small things I'm sure I'm forgetting. No FI yet but that drug is going to start hitting me soon.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:13 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbullet_Z
Oh well had a fun time. On that long straight away with the first turn I was only redlining 4th gear then letting off in my first session and then using 5th in my second and third sessions as my confidence went up. Like I said just was getting a feel for the track. I was using Nitto NT05 tires with Volk GTS wheels. The tires where awesome for the first 3-4 laps but after that I lost all confidence in them.

But anyways.... Here's the vid, kind of long. That black car that was two in front of me to start the race was a newer M5 with the V10 and pushing 500 plus hp and a tuned suspension. Really cool guy to talk to after the race.
That was a really wierd start for a race, typically it is from a rolling start with everyone in their grid position.

What tire pressures were you running. I run 34 front and 33 rear HOT, and have no problems lap after lap with NT05's.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:50 PM
silverbullet_Z

Originally Posted by terrasmak
That was a really wierd start for a race, typically it is from a rolling start with everyone in their grid position.

What tire pressures were you running. I run 34 front and 33 rear HOT, and have no problems lap after lap with NT05's.
Yea we were taking off from the pit area, there where 4 other groups of about 8-10 cars in each group, we'd do about 6-7 laps and come off and the next group would be ready to take off. I did take out some air pressure in the tires in my 2nd session down to 32 for the F and R when they were HOT, and that did help out alot as well, but still was runnin into that issue a little later in the laps so probably would've helped to lower them even more. Another Z owner also had the same tires as I did and was having the same issue I was as well.

Last edited by silverbullet_Z; 07-31-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Yea we were taking off from the pit area, there where 4 other groups of about 8-10 cars in each group, we'd do about 6-7 laps and come off and the next group would be ready to take off. I did take out some air pressure in the tires in my 2nd session down to 32 for the F and R when they were HOT, and that did help out alot as well, but still was runnin into that issue a little later in the laps so probably would've helped to lower them even more. Another Z owner also had the same tires as I did and was having the same issue I was as well.
Make sure you set pressure as soon as you get out of the car , 32 is not enough and you will over heat that tire.

So what place did you get?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:27 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

God I want to run that track with you guys. It'd be a nice learning experience with my car.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:03 AM
2TH PWR

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks like a nice track. I have that same camera. Was that view from sticking it to the windshield?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 AM
silverbullet_Z

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
Looks like a nice track. I have that same camera. Was that view from sticking it to the windshield?
It was stuck on the hood of the car just above the headlight.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Really cool guy to talk to after the race.
So what place did you get?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Terrasmak, I'm sure this was just a lapping session, not a race.

I agree with terrasamk, 32 hot is probably a little too low. OP I'm just curious, how many track days have you done in general (other cars as well)? I ask because I noticed a ton of coasting, and depending on your experience level it may or may not be too bad.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:23 PM
silverbullet_Z

Originally Posted by Zazz93
Terrasmak, I'm sure this was just a lapping session, not a race.

I agree with terrasamk, 32 hot is probably a little too low. OP I'm just curious, how many track days have you done in general (other cars as well)? I ask because I noticed a ton of coasting, and depending on your experience level it may or may not be too bad.
This was my first legit Road Course session. I've done a couple AutoX, but that's it. But now I'm hooked big time and want to get back out ASAP!! I don't care what state I have to go to but I had to much fun. I wish I had video of my other sessions, it really puts my first one to shame.

Terrasmak it was just a lapping session, they did do official time trials alot later but I wasnt there for that.

Last edited by silverbullet_Z; 08-01-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:09 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Terrasmak it was just a lapping session, they did do official time trials alot later but I wasnt there for that.
OK, so it is not a race, just track day. glad you had a great time
Old 08-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's not bad for a first session at all, welcome to the affliction.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:49 AM
silverbullet_Z

Originally Posted by Zazz93
That's not bad for a first session at all, welcome to the affliction.
Thanks Mike, I'm already starting to look at trailers to start hauling the Z to different tracks.