Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

NASA Legal Roll Cage Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by laze1
AND BACK TO THE ORIGINAL REQUEST

from the NASA rule book

WEIGHT REDUCTION:
Weight reduction points are based on the actual vehicle minimum competition weight (with driver). Removal and lightening of non-essential parts is permitted unless stated otherwise in these rules. Modification of the OEM frame, sub-frame, and floor pan are not permitted (see
5.2.2) Removal or lightening of engine parts is permitted only as listed elsewhere in these rules:

5.2.2 Base Classification Table and Listed Base Weights
Any tube-frame, never street legal, monocoque purpose-built racecar, vehicle not approved by the DOT, TUV or Japanese government for street use, or production vehicle that does not retain the original front clip, floorpan, and sub-frame, or is converted (partially or wholly) to a tubeframe
design, that is not otherwise classed below or in Appendix C, will default to the Super Unlimited class until evaluated by the National PT Director for possible homologation into another class. Individual cars may be approved for classing or re-classing by the National PT Director using the vehicle’s actual dynamometer measured maximum chassis horsepower and torque, and the minimum competition weight of the vehicle (with driver).

No points mods:
42) Shock tower reinforcement plate (to strengthen tower shock mount location only--no bars)
43) Shock mount replacement/modification (only if already taking points for both shocks and springs)(may raise or lower mount
location up to two (2) inches if no horizontal movement.)

46) Add front strut tower bar (two attachment points—bolted in or as component of the cage)
47) Add rear strut tower bar (two attachment points—bolted in or as a component of the cage)

I think I'm going to leave that stuff in. Based on that, I could remove it but it has to add some rigidity. I am definitely going to remove all the tar sound deadening stuff.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:22 PM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you may not need to...I had to add 50 lbs of ballast to my car to make the 3250lbs weight for the 2004 340z Track...

3250 lbs after a race with me @~ 190 lbs in it with what ever fuel is left after a sprint race...~ 1/2 a tank left over
Old 10-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Fixxxercask

Originally Posted by laze1
Well, you may not need to...I had to add 50 lbs of ballast to my car to make the 3250lbs weight for the 2004 340z Track...

3250 lbs after a race with me @~ 190 lbs in it with what ever fuel is left after a sprint race...~ 1/2 a tank left over
I currently have 75lbs of ballast in to make my 3190 comp weight. Dyno re-class.....getting rid of that for next year.

How much do cages normally weigh? About 120-150lbs?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Fixxxercask

Originally Posted by Fixxxercask
That's an awesome time for a T3 car. I looked up the run off results from a couple weeks ago and I think the fastest T3 car ran 2:34.xx.

My second session out I ran a 2:36.6. I took passengers and played with some settings on the car the rest of the day. Looking at my data I should have a 2:34 in the car. Maybe more. We'll see.

Oh yea, this track is fast!!!
I ended up running a 2:34.9 officially to finish Saturday. Sunday was a fun day since all competition was done on Saturday. I ran a 2:34.4 and a 2:34.6. I will get some vids and data up some time soon on the "Lap times" thread. I think on my fastest lap, my slowest speed through the kink was 113mph. Thank you aero!!!

I won TTB Great Lakes Championship and Great Lakes TT Rookie of the Year.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:57 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1.75" x .095" wall tubing is about 2lbs. per foot. A typical 8 point cage with double door bars uses 50' of tubing.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Fixxxercask

Thanks. That's less than I thought.