Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

New NASA Class for 2012: Spec Z

Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you guys feel about the staggered wheel set up? I personally like square especially because I can rotate my tires anywhere on the car for maximum life.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:19 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts300
Thankfully. . . since the used NISMO body parts I bought (for SCCA use) are already on their way and the car has Brembos. I guess I'm 50% there.

What about using all OEM motors? My 03' has a rev-up.
Looking at the rules it appears the motor has to be OEM for the chassis. If not then the HR in an 03 would be the best.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't see why you wouldn't just have to make it requisite to the weight....

DE 3100lbs
Rev-up 3200lbs
HR 3300lbs

Regardless of which chassis its in....makes it simple.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:39 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz

DE 3100lbs
Rev-up 3200lbs
HR 3300lbs

it could go either way, but looking at the chart they list the year, engine and weight.

Guess we will need to hear what the clarification is.

Maybe they will add it together

03: 3100 + HR motor: 3300, so you would need to weigh in at 6400 lbs

Old 02-06-2012, 08:42 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Has a National Director been selected for the class yet? Be nice if we could get them to join up and enter the discussion.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:44 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Not as of yesterday.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:38 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by mhoward1
Not as of yesterday.
Well then.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:39 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

I'll let you know as soon as they appoint me...

I mean as soon as I know.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Old 02-06-2012, 10:13 AM
SE5spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol
Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 AM
dnguyent

1. I agree with others who have posted, that the wheels should to be same width all around. If there is a spec tire that is 275/35/18 all around, then why have a rule on what size rim to use? Why unmount tires to rotate them...it will cost more.

2. Is it normal to have a singular spec diff? Is there that much of an advantage to use a Cusco RS vs. Nismo vs. Quaife vs. ATS vs. Wavetrac? Don't they all cost relatively the same? Are there diffs in the $800-$2000 range that eclipse others in performance? I'm just curious...

3. How does forcing us to use stock Brembo brakes make it more affordable? For those of us who do not own the Track model cars, we would have to buy stock Brembos. Unless we buy used Brembos, is a brand new stock brembo much less expensive than buying other aftermarket brands? If they left the brakes open, then we would buy whatever is most affordable. I don't think aftermarket brakes really vary in price enough that another racer would have an advantage if they spend gobs more money. Plus, if you want to run 14" or 15" brakes, that's your choice...you give up acceleration.

4. Heater core...if you remove all the tubing, then why not just allow us to remove the useless core? We have to meet weight anyway. It's like removing the speakers, but we have to leave the stereo system in.

5. Unrestricted exhaust, but the document mentions that the Nismo Cat-back is allowed. What does unrestricted mean? I thought it meant anything goes, so why mention the Nismo?

6. Same comment as above, but applied to the flywheel.

7. Why is there a max spacer size, but no limitations on wheel offsets?

8. "Any shift **** is allowed". Really? The rule book has to mention shift *****?

9. "Front and rear camber is unrestricted provided it is within the normal limits of adjustment. No modification to increase or decrease camber is allowed." This rule seems conflicting..."unrestricted" vs. "severly restricted".
Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking at the rules it appears the motor has to be OEM for the chassis. If not then the HR in an 03 would be the best.
That would suck, but if that's the case, then I'm definitely fielding the green Z, and installing a cage into it.

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz

DE 3100lbs
Rev-up 3200lbs
HR 3300lbs

I hope so.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 AM
idrive_MD

Originally Posted by dnguyent
1. I agree with others who have posted, that the wheels should to be same width all around. If there is a spec tire that is 275/35/18 all around, then why have a rule on what size rim to use? Why unmount tires to rotate them...it will cost more. While I do not disagree, I would prefer a more open allowance of wheels so long as measure in the 18x9-18x10 range (i.e. allow 18x9.5). I mean the excuse that testing was done and the 18x9 and 18x10 favored the most doesn't really stand up with me when tire pressures can do a lot to adjust for proper contact patch and sidewall resistance.

2. Is it normal to have a singular spec diff? Is there that much of an advantage to use a Cusco RS vs. Nismo vs. Quaife vs. ATS vs. Wavetrac? Don't they all cost relatively the same? Are there diffs in the $800-$2000 range that eclipse others in performance? I'm just curious...BEtween brands there can be a lot of variances between performance and maintenance requirements. WaveTrac list the export price for the Z diff at $1295, but it seems the other rwd diffs go between $1095 and $1395 depending on Make/Model.

3. How does forcing us to use stock Brembo brakes make it more affordable? For those of us who do not own the Track model cars, we would have to buy stock Brembos. Unless we buy used Brembos, is a brand new stock brembo much less expensive than buying other aftermarket brands? If they left the brakes open, then we would buy whatever is most affordable. I don't think aftermarket brakes really vary in price enough that another racer would have an advantage if they spend gobs more money. Plus, if you want to run 14" or 15" brakes, that's your choice...you give up acceleration. They are not forcing you to use the brembos, it is an allowable upgrade if you have a car without them. The options are better with the brembos, but there are still strong options out there with the non-brembo setups and they are lighter as well.

4. Heater core...if you remove all the tubing, then why not just allow us to remove the useless core? We have to meet weight anyway. It's like removing the speakers, but we have to leave the stereo system in. I don't really understand this one either

5. Unrestricted exhaust, but the document mentions that the Nismo Cat-back is allowed. What does unrestricted mean? I thought it meant anything goes, so why mention the Nismo? This one caught me too, but you left something out...it is unrestricted past the rear subframe, so I guess we have to use OEM headers, y-pipes and center pipe. Or are we allowed to use the full nismo header-back system and choose a different rear section? Again another non-clear section.?

6. Same comment as above, but applied to the flywheel. I thought that was rather clear actually, no restrictions from what I read other than minimum weight of 14.5-lbs

7. Why is there a max spacer size, but no limitations on wheel offsets? Maybe out of safety

8. "Any shift **** is allowed". Really? The rule book has to mention shift *****? This one struck me as odd, I wonder if they meant short shift kits or shift levers? I know TWM-performance makes a top-notch ball and short-shift assembly.

9. "Front and rear camber is unrestricted provided it is within the normal limits of adjustment. No modification to increase or decrease camber is allowed." This rule seems conflicting..."unrestricted" vs. "severly restricted". Basically you have to use all stock arms and you have to work within the limits they will allow.
I think we all agree that some further explaination of the regs is in order. I tried to answer your question with my best interpretation possible.

Last edited by idrive_MD; 02-06-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:52 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

See comments below:

Originally Posted by dnguyent
1. I agree with others who have posted, that the wheels should to be same width all around. If there is a spec tire that is 275/35/18 all around, then why have a rule on what size rim to use? Why unmount tires to rotate them...it will cost more.
I think this is to help T2/T3 racers come across.

2. Is it normal to have a singular spec diff? Is there that much of an advantage to use a Cusco RS vs. Nismo vs. Quaife vs. ATS vs. Wavetrac? Don't they all cost relatively the same? Are there diffs in the $800-$2000 range that eclipse others in performance? I'm just curious...
yes, there can be quite a difference in performance and weight per brand. by Specifying a single Diff they are assured that every is equal.

3. How does forcing us to use stock Brembo brakes make it more affordable? For those of us who do not own the Track model cars, we would have to buy stock Brembos. Unless we buy used Brembos, is a brand new stock brembo much less expensive than buying other aftermarket brands? If they left the brakes open, then we would buy whatever is most affordable. I don't think aftermarket brakes really vary in price enough that another racer would have an advantage if they spend gobs more money. Plus, if you want to run 14" or 15" brakes, that's your choice...you give up acceleration.
They are not forcing the Brembos, only allowing them. if you want to use the standard brake you can. If they open up to aftermarket systems, what will keep someone from buying a $10K super lightweight ceramic system if they have the money? Specified brakes are standard on almost every Spec series.

4. Heater core...if you remove all the tubing, then why not just allow us to remove the useless core? We have to meet weight anyway. It's like removing the speakers, but we have to leave the stereo system in.

I have heard this rule is being reviewed

5. Unrestricted exhaust, but the document mentions that the Nismo Cat-back is allowed. What does unrestricted mean? I thought it meant anything goes, so why mention the Nismo?
Selling point for Nissan since they are one of the series sponsors

6. Same comment as above, but applied to the flywheel.

7. Why is there a max spacer size, but no limitations on wheel offsets?
This is usually in there for a safety reason. large Spacers can cause issues.

8. "Any shift **** is allowed". Really? The rule book has to mention shift *****?

9. "Front and rear camber is unrestricted provided it is within the normal limits of adjustment. No modification to increase or decrease camber is allowed." This rule seems conflicting..."unrestricted" vs. "severly restricted".

Common terminology to say you can run anything within X range.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by acke15
My main concern is are the brembos legal if your car wasn't equipped with them.
I thought rule package was a little too open for a spec class, but on the brakes the only limitation they mention is the size and type of rotor. So I guess you can use Brembo's, Wilwoods, etc. provided they use the stock rotor size and material. Maybe there something else mentioned elsewhere that I missed.

17 Brake System

17.1 Brake System

a) Brake pads are unrestricted.
b) Brake rotors must be the same type, material, and dimensions as OEM. Brake rotors from
alternate companies may be used. Brake rotors may be cryogenically treated.
c) Steel braided brake lines may be used.
d) Disc brake backing plates may be removed.
e) The emergency brake level and/or cables and associated must remain functional.

f) Anti-lock braking systems (ABS) may be disabled.

Oddly enough some series want to retain the stock interior pieces down to the shifter so they are just clarifying they don't care.

Last edited by Zazz93; 02-06-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 AM
racerbob4

There is a lot of time spent on this site, mostly wasted, about rules you want to have changed. The rules have been written, probably between Nissan and B F Goodrich, and accepted by NASA, so for the most part you are wasting your time talking about changes you want. The rules are the rules and you can choose to race under them or not. I am sure that these rules were well thought out over several months and they are the rules the series sponsors want in place. SCCA, World Challenge, ALMS, FIA, NASCAR and NASA all have rules for their racing so discussion between yourselves about the changes each of you want are a waste of time. Desired changes would have to be sent to the sponsoring parties and the sanction organization.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Fixxxercask

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racerbob4
There is a lot of time spent on this site, mostly wasted, about rules you want to have changed. The rules have been written, probably between Nissan and B F Goodrich, and accepted by NASA, so for the most part you are wasting your time talking about changes you want. The rules are the rules and you can choose to race under them or not. I am sure that these rules were well thought out over several months and they are the rules the series sponsors want in place. SCCA, World Challenge, ALMS, FIA, NASCAR and NASA all have rules for their racing so discussion between yourselves about the changes each of you want are a waste of time. Desired changes would have to be sent to the sponsoring parties and the sanction organization.
This is why I emailed Paul St. Clair and many of us have inquired who the director will be so we can direct questions and concerns to that individual.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 AM
cyc5181

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

subscribed.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:08 PM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have my Vote!

Old 02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hope they remember that this is NASA, and NOT SCCA...

But I will run what ever crazy rules they put out as long as the Contingency stays this generous!

So I will begin the search for a "Heater Core" and OEM front upper control arms to re-install

Originally Posted by racerbob4

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New NASA Class for 2012: Spec Z