Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Trailering a Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:35 PM
N80

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Trailering a Z

I do DE events at a track about an hour away. My wife and daughter usually follow me there in our truck with tools, tent, chairs, food, etc.

I'd like to go to VIR and Roebling Road in the near future and would probably want to tow my car to those tracks (3-4 hours away). I may also get some track tires at some point too.

I've got a friend with an open, one car bumper pull trailer that he said I could borrow. His car ('67 Mustang) has tow loops welded on and he secures the car with chains.

So here is the dumb question: how do you secure a Z to a trailer? I haven't even looked for tow points underneath.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

There are tow hooks undeneath the rear. Depending on your exhaust, you may be able to criss-cross your tow attachments at the rear. The front is tougher, there's nothing underneath. But if you have a front tow hook in place, you can use a single attachment to secure from.

Be careful- one car trailers are tough to load and you need to have it hooked up before you load or unload. If it's not equipped with a beaver tail, the low ground clearance of a Z33 will make it difficult to drive on.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:55 PM
N80

Thanks. I'll check the clearances at his house. It is not a beaver tail but has long pull out ramps. It also has a winch for loading so that can be done very slowly.

His Mustang does have a lot more clearance than my Z so it will be interesting to see if it will clear.

I probably need my own trailer but its just one more thing to spend money on......I also have a medium sized tractor that I'd like to be able to tow....so whatever I get would need to do double duty....just thinking out loud...

Edit: I've also seen those straps that go around the tires so I might have to get a set of those for the front. Have also seen folks run straps through the wheel spokes. Not sure if that is kosher or not.

Last edited by N80; 12-29-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:31 PM
jasonG35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a self proclaimed tow-master :-) wedges/dollies/toy haulers/car haulers/ etc

Post of pic of that trailer...I can't picture it.

There are so many options for strapping. I tend to go overkill/super safe.

The front of your car has a spot for a tow hook. I use it with 2 straps.
I hate having any straps touching any part of the car....

The rear, I use straps and go into the rear aluminum subframe around the diff.
The rear tow hooks are up so high that I can't get a strap to go there and not touch the bumper.

Normally, the straps that you talk about around the tires only work on a few types of trailers. Additionally, strapping the body down like I describe greatly reduces weight transfer of the car...where the tire straps don't.

I'm wanting to go to VIR more this year.....what series are you looking to get involved in? I ask because I am 3 hours away as well.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:40 PM
N80

Here is a picture of the trailer. I guess it does have a beaver tail of sorts. It now has a tire rack welded to the front.

I normally run with NASA-SE but also Tarheel Sports Car Club. Would either go with THSCC or NASA-MA.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:41 PM
jasonG35

Originally Posted by N80
I probably need my own trailer but its just one more thing to spend money on......I also have a medium sized tractor that I'd like to be able to tow....so whatever I get would need to do double duty....just thinking out loud...
advice, 2 axle, NON GOOSENECK, just 2inch or 2 5/16 inch ball pull behind trailer, with a dove tail, about 20 feet long with a solid deck and 2 ramps that you have to place on to drive will be good.

I have one like that at the house. The cool thing about a solid deck is you can get your tractor (mine is John Deere) on it and not be worried about falling through a center open deck. Also, the dove tail.....I don't even use the ramps to get on.......I just drive on.

The dove tail helps with low cars...but what I have found out is that often, I clear the ramps with the car, but the front gets involved in the dove tail.....so keep about 6 boards with the trailer, some can go under the dove and some on the ramps........I've never hit with any slammed car.

I personally do not like the wooden deck trailers.

$1800 to $2500 should be easy...........and they are always worth that, new or used. heck.......keep it 4 years and sell it for $1600........what did you lose? get me?

Additionally, I love aluminum trailers......at work we have 2 of them for car hauling. At home, I have a sweet 14x7 single axle toy hauler (ATVs). They are awesome. I can tow it with a Nissan Sentra. But....aluminum has it's draw backs when you need to drag something on it.......you dig in and ruin it.......stay steele for what you say you need it for.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:51 PM
jasonG35

Originally Posted by N80
Here is a picture of the trailer. I guess it does have a beaver tail of sorts. It now has a tire rack welded to the front.

I normally run with NASA-SE but also Tarheel Sports Car Club. Would either go with THSCC or NASA-MA.
that trailer would do great for you. Actually, if you part as far forward as he does, you could probably use the rear hooks depending on your exhaust.

What you will love about trailering to an event is the fact that the car is ready when you get there......all those issues about gas and tires are all in the past.

I work at JGY, and even if we go to a car show, we normally trailer to them.......the car is almost always how you loaded it when you get there......heck, even bugs and stuff like that get sucked up by the tow vehicle

Looking at that trailer....the fenders may or may not be low enough for you to open your door.........2 options.....cut the driver side off, and remount it with 2 lag bolts and 2 spin nuts, or, buy a 8000 pound wench and mount it to the front of your buddy's trailer......and trade off on using it with the cost of the wench..........he'll love it and it makes loading even by yourself a breeze..........oh.....and if the car breaks.....easy
Old 12-30-2012, 04:10 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As far as strapping goes, you can always run the straps through the rims or front and rear frame supports. . If you do that option though you can not cross strap or you will change your alignment. A dove tail should be just fine for your car and an open center gives you the option to work under the car like a lift at events. I will warn you once you start trailering you won't want to go back.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:12 AM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use thru-the-wheel straps on all 4 wheels...

I have tried most other methods...but like this the best. The primary advantage is that you will not burn your hands/arms and get covered in crap when strapping down a hot car after an event.

And I believe the car to be secure on the trailer as well!

Last edited by laze1; 12-30-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:30 AM
N80

Thanks guys. Are the through-the-wheel straps a ready made product or do you just rig it with regular tie down straps?

If I get my own trailer it will be a hard choice between open center and solid deck. I like the open center for working under the car but a solid deck would be best for tractor and tractor implements.....however, I probably don't trailer the tractor more than once every couple of years.

Edit: Jason, his trailer has a large hand winch like on a boat trailer. It works very well for his car but it is about 800 pounds lighter than mine.

Last edited by N80; 12-30-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:37 AM
laze1

I just run something like this thru the wheel spokes ...make sure to loop them thru the wheel on the side facing the trailer tie-down point...then attach normal ratchet straps to these...

http://www.discoveryparts.com/cgi-bi...=towing&pid=86
Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 AM
laze1

In the rear I cross the straps and everything is under the car..but is it pretty easy to get to that area, especially if you have a dovetail trailer. The straps go all the way around/thru the wheel/tire/rim.

In the front I loop the straps on one of the wheels spokes, (NOT around the wheel/tire/rim) down low, and run them almost straight forward to the trailer tie down points. NOT UNDER the car... Pretty much HAVE to do the front this way as the car is too low to run anything under it without ripping off the front valence.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:16 AM
jasonG35

The open center trailer that we use at work is great for events etc because like these gents said, it makes strapping easier and....if you need to work on the car, you can get under it more.

The through the wheels holes is also great....as long as you own the car :-) Assuming it's your track car with track wheels....you will be fine.
That's how many car transporters do it.

Either way, you really can't go wrong. I will add that one time at work, a 3 car hauler was bringing a customer's car to us.......had an E46 BMW on the middle and had to take it off to unload a car......I was helping him.......and noticed how some dirt had gotten in the straps where they went around the wheels..........some was going to be getting a car with some wheel damage when it arrived...

but.....if it's a Race Car for you ..........either way will be great

good luck!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:00 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

There are great wheel straps that won't damage the rims.

http://www.reese-hitches-online.com/...70700_5500.jpg

http://www.discountramps.com/car-tru...l-tie-down.jpg
Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM
WetDreamZZZ

I've towed my Z to 3 events now with my friends trailer. The trailer itself is a sight for sore eyes I think he picked it up for $400 and did some work to get it road worthy again. I had no experience with towing anything the first time I went to use it. He helped me load the car up and strap her down. I use 3 large ratchet straps going through the wheels. One on each wheel up front and in the rear I just go from one side of the trailer to the other and pass through both rear wheels on the way. The car seems really secure and never moved around on me at all. I like that going through the tires lets the suspension travel freely on the car while on the road. Oh and I agree with the comment below once you start towing your car to the track you wont want to stop. It does however make your weekend more expensive
Attached Thumbnails Trailering a Z-car-on-trailer.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 01:10 PM
jasonG35

Originally Posted by mhoward1
yeah...........for most cases

but, find that weird guy that has stretched tires on too wide of a lip and the lips be painted.........there's a chance to scratch it as it touches the wheel..........but, a rock could hit the wheel while trailering as well.......it's not a big risk, I certainly understand your point.

but........I truly enjoy strapping to the body/underside of the car over the wheels because it keep the transitional weight transfer down to a mininum. I've have strapped the every way possible, but in my opinion, you get the safest ride/haul that way.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:37 PM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by jasonG35
yeah...........for most cases

but, find that weird guy that has stretched tires on too wide of a lip and the lips be painted.........there's a chance to scratch it as it touches the wheel..........but, a rock could hit the wheel while trailering as well.......it's not a big risk, I certainly understand your point.

but........I truly enjoy strapping to the body/underside of the car over the wheels because it keep the transitional weight transfer down to a mininum. I've have strapped the every way possible, but in my opinion, you get the safest ride/haul that way.

Agreed, I have welded strap down points on the frame myself.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM
pchio

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Trailering a Z-tow1.jpg   Trailering a Z-tow2.jpg  
Old 01-03-2013, 02:55 PM
N80

pchio, I can't tell how the strap in the bottom picture is hooked on.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 PM
pchio

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a hole at the lower control arm. I am not sure if that's a ideal location, but I have been towing a few times with over 300 miles each trip without problem.

Last edited by pchio; 01-03-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Trailering a Z