Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

ABS Issues / SLIP/ VDC Lights on track

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:42 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS Issues / SLIP/ VDC Lights on track

Hello all,

For several years now, my racecar has had its slip and vdc lights on since it was gutted and built into what it is today. It never affected performance on the track and I never thought much of it. I know I have a code currently for a steering angle sensor since I have a Sparco wheel and Works Bell hub. Again, never had an issue with VDC still being on or ABS. I now have a brake light on, and am having weird ABS issues. The car has ST40s up front, with OEM rear brembos.

Here is a description of the issues from this past weekend at Sebring. I was having inconsistent feedback from the brakes. Sometimes its a hard pedal that feels like pad fade (buts it not). Other times, its a bit soft and feels like knockback (possible). Lastly, sometimes I can get the whole thing to lockup. I haven't scanned the car since this past weekend to determine if its the pump or a speed sensor. My question is about the steering angle sensor. I can live with the slip/vdc lights on. Am I wrong in assuming that this is not the issue with my abs? Is it is separate from the ABS? I am going to crawl under this week and check the speed sensors. I have been racing this car for 6 years now, and never even removed/cleaned a sensor. Any thoughts/experience would be great.

Thanks,

Joseph
Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 AM
DmanG281

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had similar issues a few weeks back and went over and over on the possibilities. Checked my brake fluid and it was right in the middle of the min\max lines. I filled it over the Max line and never had an issue again. I'm thinking the sensor in the reservoir was reading low fluid in higher G turns.

Sometimes its the easy answer. Just a suggestion.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,324 Likes on 1,673 Posts

Mine has done this from time to time at different tracks. Mostly after i went to a square tire setup. What are you running for tires?
Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 AM
ThreeFiveZero Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

275/35/18 BFG R1 all around
Old 04-29-2013, 11:45 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,307 Likes on 907 Posts

If you've raced a Z33 for any significant time, you've probably experienced some sort of brake problem at one time or another. But they are almost always due to factors other than the steering angle sensor or slip/VDC lights. If you've disconnected the yaw sensor, you're always going to have the CEL for these items.

Aside from the odd component failure (ie. speed sensors, harness, ABS pump, etc), the braking system itself seems pretty stout. That doesn't mean that a build up of heat, or the odd wheel vibration won't throw off the system. If that happens, and if the dreaded ABS light comes on, watch out!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Z33_Taxi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DmanG281
I had similar issues a few weeks back and went over and over on the possibilities. Checked my brake fluid and it was right in the middle of the min\max lines. I filled it over the Max line and never had an issue again. I'm thinking the sensor in the reservoir was reading low fluid in higher G turns.

Sometimes its the easy answer. Just a suggestion.
This. I had this issue after installing my clutch/flywheel and swapping fluids. Guess I didn't fill it up past max and all my lights were on. I flipped out and retraced all my steps. Came on here and someone suggested adding more brake fluid...it worked for me