Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Maybe the 350Z isn't so good for autocross

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 07:47 AM
jimster716

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe the 350Z isn't so good for autocross

Interesting discussion about cars and some specifics about the 350Z on the message board for the California Sports Car Club...the regional club for SCCA Solo2.

I can't disagree with some people about specific issues about the car. The car tends to understeer and although a lot of my350z.com members complain about negative camber when lowering their cars...the ability to adjust your camber in a race/sport setting seems to be impossible. Apparently Ankeny Racing Enterprises attempted to work on the 350Z suspension to no avail. Ankeny builds/tunes suspension for most of the top competitors in the socal region (a highly competitive region for nationals) including Tom Berry, SCCA National Champion for like the last decade.

You can't be in a sports car class and lack the ability to align your car in a sporting way!!!

Ankeny is as good at car setup as it gets and it doesn't appear that he could overcome the lack of camber in Stock. Development ain't going to cure it for autox.

Fun street car. Fun at the track. Tire eating wallowing piglet at the autox.
-as said by a respected senior member of our region.

I don't know if i disagree. The S2000's seem to be much more competitive out of the box with novice drivers putting in respectable times from the start. I do believe the 350Z is a great car for the open tracks...maybe not for the technical autocross tracks.

Any opinions from experienced autocrossers?
Old 01-23-2004, 08:28 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I am not an expereienced autox but I can see how the 350Z is not as good at the autox but it can be with some experience, I have a friend that runs them here almost every weekend and he is at the top of his class B-Stock and beating S2000's but it took him almost a year to get there where as like you said the S2000 seems to be almost there from the beginning.

I think the 350Z is a little heavier and not as nimble as the S2000 which puts it at a disadvantage on the short, turn intensive autox tracks and you need to get a perfect run to get good times, but it does shine on the track when it has some room to exercise those ponies and does better than the S2000 down the straights and with a good driver will outrun the S2000 over the length of the track.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:11 AM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: Maybe the 350Z isn't so good for autocross

YEah, I have been eating them up in BS as well. However, I think it would be
tough to remain competetive in BSP. The car lacks power/torque copared to the competition.

On the other hand, we ARE only talking AutoX. So, who cares???

This car really shines BONE STOCK on the track!!! So, go out and have
some REAL fun with it. You'll never care to AutoX again...

Old 01-23-2004, 09:21 AM
jimster716

I still want to improve on the technical aspects of autox...if it takes me a year to prove them wrong then so be it...i ain't quitting and i have a year of monthly events to practice.

With the Tein suspension (lowered ride height) I'm in B-Street Prepared (BSP) which sux since I'm also on street tires. IOTW, I'm a good 6-8 seconds back from the race prepared C4 vettes on a 60-70 sec course.

Oh well...I don't regret getting the Z at all...it is torquey and i have had some tail sliding fun.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:28 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I think that BSP is just not right for the Z because with just springs like you have you get put it with some more powerful cars that will be tough or impossible to compete with.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:53 AM
jimster716

Originally posted by westpak
I think that BSP is just not right for the Z because with just springs like you have you get put it with some more powerful cars that will be tough or impossible to compete with.
Completely agree...they just classed it due to displacement more than anything else. Since it's only a first year car, I'm sure they'll re-class it during national or regional rules meetings.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:12 AM
mhoward1
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

In truth though, SP has never been kind to Z cars. I have been trying for years to figure out why a ES car bumps to BSP?

While BSP fits more to the 350Z more than the other Z cars, it's still may be out in Tighter courses. The good thing though is that throttle steer car be done with all that TQ.

Yes, the S2000 has more adjustibility out of the box, which is why it goes to ASP, and the '04's are now in AS.

Now in TT classes, they are ranked differently.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:49 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Ouch!!! Yeah, street tires make it tougher. You need to get some better rubber. Then, you'll probably do alright.

Like I said, I haven't had much of a problem beating out the other people in my class this past year. I only raced half a season and won BS after all. So, I was happy. Now I have new rims and rubber that bump me out. So, I don't know how much AutoXing I'm going to be doing this year. I prefer Open Track now...
Old 01-26-2004, 01:30 PM
themyst

lol, i remember they placed my Z in ASP last year cause i had an intake and S03 tires. Try running against a new EVO in a Z in autox.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:46 PM
mpowers

I seemed to have been haveing a good year as well in bs, I supose we will see how good the Z and myself are in an upcomeing prosolo event.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:12 PM
2003z

yeah, I was in BSP last year for an Injen intake, which cost me 4hp on the dyno!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:54 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The S2000 is definitely better balanced out of the box, and the ability to give it an "alignment" and still stay in the stock class is a big advantage.

With the Z, I think you will just need to do something about the front sway bar to get the car somewhat more willing to turn.

I've definitely got a way to go in the Z, but sure have been having some fun doing it.

-D'oh!
Old 01-27-2004, 03:47 AM
rktjhn

The Z is a harder car to learn to drive vs the Honda, I have run mine hard and learned a lot this past year. Was just at the PNX Tour and was happy as I got closer, narrowed the gap. Some of the Honda drivers are extremely good drivers, I don't consider myself in that catagory, but I can hold my own and sometimes can kick some butt. Learning for me is goal one, handing out some occasional whoop a## is fun too.
At a Pro last summer, myself and another Z got beat bad by the Hondas, but where very close to other BS cars. Personally, I think the Honda should be an AS car, and the powers that be at SCCA seem to be thinking the same thing.
I have found that with the correct input, the car is amazing. I have had some really good drivers run mine at fun runs and they could kick some Honda booty, beat my times by 2-3 seconds. Thats how you can learn.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:08 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rktjhn,

Are you running Penske DA's? How's the bounce?
Old 01-28-2004, 03:33 AM
rktjhn

There is no bounce, the shocks made an amazing differance. Virtually eliminated the front end push, my friend that co drove said the car feels like a prepared car now.
The "push" problem was probably mostly incorrect input from me, but I am learning more every time I go out and getting faster. The shock are worth the money, no front end drop in braking, very solid side to side, and no rear end dive in acceleration. A photographer took a few shots, and I bought the cd so I could send some to Guy Ankeny. Let him see how it handles. It looks alot like Carters car on another thread.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:36 AM
jmark

Is your Z a Blue Track? Is this you?

http://www.lvrscca.org/photo4/natl_t...BS_149_jpg.htm

Glad to hear the Penskes fix the bounce. Hope the Koni's do the same.

Last edited by jmark; 01-28-2004 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 05:52 AM
rktjhn

It is my car with Matt driving in PNX, I was 49, he was 149
Old 01-28-2004, 11:01 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by jmark
Is your Z a Blue Track? Is this you?

http://www.lvrscca.org/photo4/natl_t...BS_149_jpg.htm

Glad to hear the Penskes fix the bounce. Hope the Koni's do the same.
Look at the right rear tire in that pic, not very good contact patch. Makes me wonder what my car would look like in a simular situation/pic? Rules force the car setup to be pretty much oem except for the shocks right?

Sidenote: Jezz I wish Koni would of made the upcomming sport shock's DA, oh well I'll wait for Tokico's DA shock to come out.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:09 AM
jmark

DA Koni's are already out. $$$$ I am sure they'll build a set for you like they have for TC & Carter T.

Last edited by jmark; 01-29-2004 at 04:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2004, 07:55 AM
C Ray Z

Default Single adjustables can be converted long term

Gordon say you can convert the single adjustable Konis to DA for $350 each. That makes the road to double adjustables a little more bearable by doing it incrementally.

Quick Reply: Maybe the 350Z isn't so good for autocross