Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Nissan Motorsports Retirement

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 02:25 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts
Default Nissan Motorsports Retirement

Sad news for motorsports fans as Richard (Rick) Kulach announces his retirement from Nissan North America as of October 2, 2018. Kulach has had a stellar career with the company as the SW district operations manager, product planner and as the head of Nissan Motorsports in North America. His efforts over the last decade have provided support for U.S. amateur and pro racers and will be missed. Kulach joins very select company of legendary former Nissan motorsports directors like Dick Roberts, Kas Kastner, Frank Honsowetz and Ron Stukenberg. True to his nature as a hardcore racer, Kulach may finally find the time to prepare his own racecars for competition. Happy retirement!
Old 10-02-2018, 02:52 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm not entirely sad. It was time. Nissan North America Motorsports involvement has been an embarrassment relative to other makes and in is still in further decline.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:06 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Sad news for motorsports fans as Richard (Rick) Kulach announces his retirement from Nissan North America as of October 2, 2018. Kulach has had a stellar career with the company as the SW district operations manager, product planner and as the head of Nissan Motorsports in North America. His efforts over the last decade have provided support for U.S. amateur and pro racers and will be missed. Kulach joins very select company of legendary former Nissan motorsports directors like Dick Roberts, Kas Kastner, Frank Honsowetz and Ron Stukenberg. True to his nature as a hardcore racer, Kulach may finally find the time to prepare his own racecars for competition. Happy retirement!
Never met Rick although all but one of the guys you mentioned, I've had the chance to rub elbows with at one point or another. Any word on his replacement? Maybe Derek?

Speaking of, maybe Rick decided to retire after you took the division title from his son? (Every time you mention Derek, I think of Rick and just now made the connection, duh...) Hahahahahahahaha.....

For those further interested in Rick Kulach, here's a link (illegally posted but what the heck) to our own dkmura talking to Rick Kulach:
http://nicoclub.com/archives/nissan-...interview.html
Old 10-02-2018, 04:58 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Always was a pleasure to deal with Rick. Hopefully racer support will remain strong...
Old 10-03-2018, 07:30 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I'm not entirely sad. It was time. Nissan North America Motorsports involvement has been an embarrassment relative to other makes and in is still in further decline.
The lack of motorsports involvement is a corporate decision by Nissan. Much of their promotional budget has been directed by a former Disney executive, and that's why millions of dollars have been spent on Star Wars and other movie tie-ins. Kulach has been one of the sole voices within Nissan for a small budget to support both pro and amateur racing in North America. With his influence gone, the "embarrassment" will only continue to decline faster.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:34 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
The lack of motorsports involvement is a corporate decision by Nissan. Much of their promotional budget has been directed by a former Disney executive, and that's why millions of dollars have been spent on Star Wars and other movie tie-ins. Kulach has been one of the sole voices within Nissan for a small budget to support both pro and amateur racing in North America. With his influence gone, the "embarrassment" will only continue to decline faster.
What a Mickey Mouse operation!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. That's what always got me in trouble with Miss O'Mahony back in 3rd grade.
The following users liked this post:
SmoothZ (10-07-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 06:40 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I know several of the pro teams were really left out to dry by Rick (and Nissan as a whole), while it was a Nissan decision to pull back involvement, he didn't help the situation in a lot of ways not worth mentioning in an open forum.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:05 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Kulach fought hard to get and keep funding for both pro and amateur programs over the years. But he can only carry so much water for the company. When the plug gets pulled by upper management, it's often the messenger who gets the majority of the blame. Kulach wasn't the problem, and lacking his efforts internally, there's not much hope for motorsports at Nissan in the immediate future.