Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

NoVa 350Z track build

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2023 | 06:48 AM
Dr Hoon

Got the side windows sorted. Unfortunately I was not able to keep enough mechanism to allow them to manually go into the doors, mostly because only the front rail is part of the door, the rear rail is part of the window regulator mechanism, which is attached to the removeable door facing. So instead I just put in a couple of supports inside the door that would hold the window at the right height so I can seal the car when it's parked. I got a couple of 24"x36" "art portfolio" bags that are perfect size to store the windows when they are removed.

For the windshield and rear window I ordered rubber seals from Z1, the rear seal goes all around the window but for the front I only found the top trim pieces. Hopefully that'll be enough to install it cleanly.

I also spent some time designing, printing and clearancing brake scoops that mount to the front lower control arms via the sway bar link bolt. Original design was just a scoop but I had to remove part of the bottom of it to clear the inside edge of the wheel when turned full lock.
Original design

Test fit on the car

Modified design to clear the wheel edge at full lock

Once I have these finished and fitted on both sides I'll make the design available for download.

The following users liked this post:
Aeneas137 (02-04-2023)
Old 02-04-2023 | 09:57 AM
Aeneas137

cool! those have a Porsche vibe. better engineering than ductwork imo. and if you have fender vents then that sucks air through that area.
Old 02-04-2023 | 01:03 PM
Dr Hoon

Yeah, I was trying to create the porsche type scoops. With the Akebono calipers mounted on the front of the rotors there is really no space for ductwork, so I figured that might work better. As the last pic shows, the bottom of the scoops is about even with the bottom of the plastic belly pen and a bit lower than the bottom of the fender liners so hopefully it will pick up plenty of air. Only actually trying them on the track will show if there is any benefit and if they can survive long enough to be useful.
Aeneas137 (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023 | 05:10 PM
Dr Hoon

Here's the final design that clears my 275 series tires on 18" wheels as well as my akebono brakes. Initially I was printing from PETG, but found it too brittle for this application, I got a spool of nylon blend filament and I'll do a print with that tomorrow to see how it compares.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5841550
Aeneas137 (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023 | 06:25 PM
Aeneas137

Man, that must be fun creating 3D models and printing them. I haven't even dabbled in that world yet. I am tempted though, for doing D&D miniatures. The problem with that though is I don't have time to paint them.
​​​​​
Old 02-07-2023 | 06:44 PM
Dr Hoon

You don't have to paint them. Get a printer that can do multiple colors via multiple nozzles, via filament blending or even via toner injection. There are many solutions out there. When I'm ready to upgrade my rig I will be going with something capable of both multi-color and multi-material printing.
Aeneas137 (02-08-2023)
Old 02-10-2023 | 04:46 PM
Dr Hoon

So eagle eye readers might've noticed that the plastic windshield in the pic I posted was marked as 370Z. Come to find out there was a mixup in shipping and I got a 370z windscreen while mine went to someone in europe. To make the long story short P4P now made good and shipped me the correct windshield which is scheduled to be installed next week. And since they don't want the 370z windshield back I now need to find someone with a 370Z who can use it If anyone is interested PM me. I also now have both OEM side windows and window mechanisms with wire harnesses that I'll be posting for sale. And I still have a brand new CF wing sitting in storage that I need to relist for sale. Lastly I will be getting the CF hatch in a few days, so the OEM hatch with glass and the duck tail will need to be sold as well. I've been lazy getting these things posted but I'm starting to run out of space to store them.

Last edited by Dr Hoon; 02-10-2023 at 04:47 PM.
Aeneas137 (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023 | 05:34 PM
Aeneas137

I have six hoods and hatches stacked together against a wall in the garage. they fit nicely together lol. I could get four of them out of the way by reinstalling them but I like the access to the cars at the moment. everything I do is three steps forward, two steps back. but admittedly, I compounded my difficulties by not sticking with just one car. I don't like downtime. do you ever track your Boxster anymore?
Old 02-11-2023 | 01:35 PM
Dr Hoon

DId a final clearance test with the car on the ground. I'm happy with the results. The scoops are low enough to pick up air from under the car but there is still almost 3: of ground clearance with my ride height of 25" ground to top of the front fender opening.

Also good clearance of the inside of the rim at full lock. Probably would need to be adjusted with 17" wheels, but works great with my 18s.

Aeneas137 (02-11-2023)
Old 02-16-2023 | 01:43 PM
Dr Hoon

Got the windshield installed today. A few tidbits I picked up along the way.... First, the A pillar covers need to be removed, fortunately was able to do that without breaking any of the clips. Second the sikaflex adhesive it thinner than the adhesive the installer usually uses for glass windshields, He was concerned that it would flatten to much when pressed down, so he added some foam strips around the edges to keep the windshield from going too deep into the frame. Also, I asked him to mount the rear view mirror mount about 1/2" lower than OEM for better rear view for me. Since the P4P windshield doesn't have the black surround around the mirror mount like OEM does, we had to measure to find the windshield center to get it positioned properly. And finally, the P4P windshield being designed in UK for RHD cars has the vin window in the opposite corner. So the vin plate is now hidden. Not a big deal for a track vehicle, but could be an issue if the car was street driven.

Last edited by Dr Hoon; 02-16-2023 at 01:56 PM.
Aeneas137 (02-16-2023)
Old 02-20-2023 | 01:40 PM
Dr Hoon

Got the windshield banner redone. Decide to do a smaller "police box" banner so I can do the numbers in the corner of the banner instead of on the glass as before. In general I'll be putting all the run group, tech, etc. stickers on the bammer now so I don't scratch up the windshield trying to remove them. Still waiting on new numbers, but those should show up tomorrow.

As a total surprise to me, the Saibon cf hatch showed up today. I say a surprise because I was given a tracking number, but was never able to figure out what company it was for, so I didn't know it was on the way until it was in my driveway. It is in one piece and actually fits fairly well. It's a bit close to the roof on the driver's side, so I'll be adding a couple washers to the hinge mounting bolts on that side to space it out. Got the stock hatch removed and weight, it's 75 lbs without the rear wiper mechanism and the interior trim. I'll weigh the CF hatch, plastic window combination once I get the window installed. I want to contact P4P and see if any prep is needed for the adhesive on clear coated CF.

For giggles I got a bit of "carbon" vinyl and wrapped the A pillar covers, but you can see in the pics how far it is from actual CF, it doesn't stand out nearly as well. But it does tie in the hatch to the car so I'll leave it for now until I redo all the graphics.

Last edited by Dr Hoon; 02-20-2023 at 01:44 PM.
Aeneas137 (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023 | 01:47 PM
Dr Hoon

BTW, a few days ago I submitted a for sale post for the 370Z windshield but it never showed up. Are the moderators no longer reviewing and approving those? I now have the stock hatch with the duck tail to sell and I wonder if it's even worth creating a post for it...

Last edited by Dr Hoon; 02-20-2023 at 01:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr Hoon:
Aeneas137 (02-20-2023), rustyschopshop (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023 | 02:13 PM
Aeneas137

looks great! might be a good idea to hold on to the original hatch in case you have an incident and don't want to replace the CF hatch. I'm saving the hatch and hood. just need to wall mount them to get them up and out of the way.

I'm considering doing a vinyl wrap on the car sans the hood / hatch. have to repair minor damage near the gas door first. your silver / blue looks good. I'm thinking white body panels and red side stripes to match the Cayman but I'm not sure if that's really necessary. could just go in a different direction with the color.
Old 02-21-2023 | 09:40 AM
Dr Hoon

If I had all the room in the world I would keep it all just in case, but as is I need to make room. Since the marketplace here doesn't seem to be working I put the parts up on local CL for sale. In case anyone is in the greater DC area and interested, here are the links.
Hatch https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...591865756.html
Windshield https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...591860033.html
Wing (reduced the price by $50 from last time I posted it) https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...591855379.html
Aeneas137 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-21-2023 | 08:37 PM
mr. sparco

Thought I'd share this in case you ever have anymore rear wing issues. I found it interesting and easy enough to diy. There is a follow up video on how much force the wing can handle.
Old 02-22-2023 | 07:20 AM
GreyZ

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
https://youtube.com/watch?v=jsT561opKrU&feature=shares

Thought I'd share this in case you ever have anymore rear wing issues. I found it interesting and easy enough to diy. There is a follow up video on how much force the wing can handle.
Man I love these guys, and I did a ton of composite work in university, but Easy Composites will give you the biggest sense of false security on how clean, neat, and professional those guys can pump out parts. The make some fantastic content though and really do show you all the steps. They just skip the 10 years of experience it took to be able to do it that well.
Old 02-23-2023 | 02:16 PM
Dr Hoon

Finally got the rear window glued in and the hatch install finished. The window has the gray tint option. Since this was fairly easy I did it myself, just knocked off the shine from the carbon finish where the adhesive was gonna go and applied a full bead all the way around. Actually did two beads at the top of the window since there was more room just to be sure :P

Aeneas137 (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023 | 02:25 PM
Aeneas137

that looks amazing. is that a 4mm thickness?
Old 02-23-2023 | 02:30 PM
Dr Hoon

yes it is
Aeneas137 (02-23-2023)
Old 02-24-2023 | 01:05 PM
Escobar

looks awesome, what did the weight end up being on the carbon one?

Quick Reply: NoVa 350Z track build