Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Formula 1 Follies

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 07:46 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,293 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by Escobar
aston martin look really strong so far. gonna be a good year it looks like!
Indeed! Great finish for A-M. And whuudid I say about Max and Lewis? Laff.
Old 03-05-2023, 11:46 AM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

yea looks like another blow out season for red *****. At least there should be a good battle between ferrari/merc/and aston. Fernando drove the wheels off that car today. pretty cool
Old 03-05-2023, 01:07 PM
Legacy406

Received 3,383 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Verstappen destroyed everyone today
Old 03-05-2023, 04:54 PM
SPM350Z

Received 164 Likes on 98 Posts

Yeah Verstappen looking like Hamilton in those championship years.....pretty much racing by himself 25 seconds ahead of everyone. So damn boring. I was psyched to see Alonso on the podium and hope he's in for more of that...I like seeing the older guys doing damage....same reason I pull for Scott Dixon in Indycar. Leclerc has to be hating life right now....he's got a contract til next year with Ferrari and he has to be thinking "God, get me out of here". He does everything right and they just can't give him reliable car. I read that they are looking to sign him to an extension this year and I bet he's thinking "Nah...let's wait til next year to even TALK about me staying". And I know it's early but damn...I thought Mercedes was going to move forward not backward....not looking all that great for Hamilton's 8th championship. Again...it's early so who knows what will happen but it does feel like the last few years the first few races were pretty much indicators for what the whole season would be like.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:51 PM
Escobar

yup I agree, max 30 seconds ahead isnt very entertaining but at least the mid field is tight. I hope HAAS can get up there and fight for points more.
Old 03-06-2023, 04:17 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

What I find amusing is all these people on the Farcebook F1 groups saying the same things about "boring Max". Until someone called them out as Lewis fans who didn't complain when he was "that guy" in front. For like seven years. Why yeah, that was me trying t'shut them the hell up.
The following users liked this post:
Legacy406 (03-06-2023)
Old 03-06-2023, 05:12 PM
Legacy406

Received 3,383 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Yeah tbh I enjoy seeing someone absolutely smoke everyone.

Nobody was complaining when Senna was beating people like it was nothing so why is it suddenly an issue now?

Last edited by Legacy406; 03-06-2023 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:44 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

OK, let me shift gears a minute and point out a major difference between F1 and good ol’ boy Indycar. [Caution: Rude remarks ahead for those easily offended ]

Y’know how when you watch F1 (and I’ve been to F1 races in Europe and can attest to this); the people are all generally good looking. From the drivers to the crowds, they're all fit and “class” exudes.

Then there’s Indycar….

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaahahahaaaaaa!!!!!

WTF, man, and that occurred in a single 20 second segment. Sorry, couldn't help but notice.

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-07-2023 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:50 PM
Escobar

yep, pretty sad. Most americans are fat asses.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:03 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

OK, that was a little uncalled for but it was hard not to notice.

So, with both F1 and Indycar’s first races done, gotta say it (again?). I enjoy watching Indycar more than F1. I sometimes get so bored watching F1 - and yes, for the reasons cited, not much real competition so to speak - that I look up who won before the recorded event is over.

Indycar, on the other hand, there’s lead changes, serious passing in the pack, have pit stops NOT attended by 25 crew people (zzzzzz), and they have accidents. No, not crash mongering, don’t like for anyone crashing, rather, because they’re racing so close together there’s inevitable contacts and chain reactions. Admittedly, while not not advocating crashes, I’d be lying if I said they weren’t part of the excitement. 😆

Now, of course, I was immensely shocked and upset watching the TWO drivers I wanted to win crash each other out…. Ehhhh. Like Grosjean for surviving the huge F1 fire then coming to Indycar and McLaughlin coming in as a champion in Supercars Australia, where the racing is extreme!

Finally, if a car has a technical issue, they don’t necessarily retire automatically. If fixable, they try to get the car back in rather than just throwing in the towel. (Kyle Kirkwood went on a flyer and reentered laps later.) F1? They ruffle the driver’s hair in a tore rub event, retirement. Haha.

Anyways, new names in both series and by default, running at the back of the pack as is par for the course. Oh, and Piastri? Snicker snicker. Oops, did I just laugh? Snort.

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-07-2023 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 07:59 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Supercars Australia
The only series I still watch, when I can find it in the US.
Old 03-10-2023, 12:23 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by i8acobra
The only series I still watch, when I can find it in the US.
Usually on CBS Sports Network.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:52 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Just tuned in to F1 for the first time this race weekend at our hotel. Max starting 15th? Whuuuuut?? 😆

Well, ought to make this interesting….

But ya, just the lame pre-show on. Have to watch it muted. Can’t stand Brundle trying to be “knowledgeable” and “funny” and failing at both miserably. Laff! 🤡

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-19-2023 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:26 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,307 Likes on 907 Posts

Gotta say, Sergio did a good job taking pole and the race at Jeddah when Max had a driveshaft problem. At least Red Bull has hired a #2 that can secure the points when things go wrong. That's not always the case with every team, but RBR has actively recruited a strong pairing and while it looks like a walk in the park for the team championship, at least the driver's title is still close.

One note for Mic, I actually saw Martin Brundle drive in F1 at the 1984 Detroit GP. He was in one of the Tyrell-Fords and was spectacular in sliding that normally aspirated V8 Cosworth around the corners of the Ren Center LONG before drifting was a thing. Yes, it's been awhile since he's raced, but I've got some respect for his expertise and perspective.
Old 03-20-2023, 07:25 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,027 Posts

So, there's a few hotels in Vegas already selling $100k VIP packages for the F1 race here. Supporting the locals, as always.
Old 03-20-2023, 03:15 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dkmura
Gotta say, Sergio did a good job taking pole and the race at Jeddah when Max had a driveshaft problem. At least Red Bull has hired a #2 that can secure the points when things go wrong. That's not always the case with every team, but RBR has actively recruited a strong pairing and while it looks like a walk in the park for the team championship, at least the driver's title is still close.

One note for Mic, I actually saw Martin Brundle drive in F1 at the 1984 Detroit GP. He was in one of the Tyrell-Fords and was spectacular in sliding that normally aspirated V8 Cosworth around the corners of the Ren Center LONG before drifting was a thing. Yes, it's been awhile since he's raced, but I've got some respect for his expertise and perspective.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I have no qualms over Brundle's skills as a driver and he was the first one to comment that Max's fail in Q2 was drivetrain related so his expertise isn't really in question.

It's all about his delivery as a commentator that I don't care for. I think he ruined himself for me when he first started and did those "grid walks" flitting between the cars, drivers, and team principals asking what I considered dumb questions when it appeared no one wanted to talk to him as they were in final prep for racing. But all good, I don't get that wrapped up in watching F1. I watch but prefer watching other types of racing.

Now, about that Verstappen fellow. I was in my hotel room sorta getting ready to check out so wasn't watching intently but with him starting 15th, I thought maybe 5th, 6th at checker. But next time I looked, sub-18 laps, he was in P7 or 8. I was like, "Wait..... what?" Then the next time I checked in at lap 38, he was in P2. I was really scratching my head at that point. I had great fear that his ego would get the better of his judgement and he'd go for Checo and crash them both out (like Nico and Lewis in 2016). But, as you noted, Checo was able to hold him off anyways. I thought that with the reversal of pole and finishing positions from Bahrain that they were tied in champ points but a friend told me later that Max got the fast lap point(s) so he's still on top.

And then there's Fernando. Wow. Most excellent, the man for us old folks. Haha!
Old 03-21-2023, 05:09 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Oh, don't get me wrong, I have no qualms over Brundle's skills as a driver and he was the first one to comment that Max's fail in Q2 was drivetrain related so his expertise isn't really in question.

It's all about his delivery as a commentator that I don't care for. I think he ruined himself for me when he first started and did those "grid walks" flitting between the cars, drivers, and team principals asking what I considered dumb questions when it appeared no one wanted to talk to him as they were in final prep for racing. !
Gotta remember Mic- Brundle was never that well-paid as a driver. When Sky Sports offered a PAID job as a commentator, he probably jumped at the chance to make some quid! And guess what? When they said "hey, you're also on the pit walk interviews", he probably said: "Ah, can't be such a bad gig, certainly not as bad as trying to get some of those evil-handling cars around the circuit".

But all that was before he met Megan thee Stallion on the pit walk- or rather, he met MTS's bodyguard BEFORE he could get a word in edgewise. Ah well, racing drivers develop all sorts of coping skills, but you gotta believe good 'ol Martin Brundle thought "Smile and keep on smilin' until you get that first drink down". Man, I felt sorry for the bloke- hah!
Old 05-07-2023, 01:23 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Watching the pre-race for the 2023 Miami GP makes it clear how overexposed F1 racing has become. All the celebrity, pomp and circumstance threatens to eclipse any of the racing. Having the F&F stars do the intro was the final straw. No real need to go to watch the races any longer, the show itself is on TV unless you want to spend HUGE bucks to attend in person.

Well done to Max Verstappen for his win from 9th on the grid. While RBR has an unquestioned advantage in their current package, it seems Verstappen has the ability to extract the most from it. Perez had a good advantage and a clean start, but Max was really quick in the middle section of the race and pressed the advantage after he stopped for tires. Alonso gamely gave chase, but really was outclassed all day. I remain disappointed that Ferrari hasn't been more of a factor this season. The Italian squadra seems to have lost any speed advantage they had from last year. Only McLaren has been a bigger letdown in 2023.
Old 05-12-2023, 02:43 PM
Escobar

yea i agree, Ferrari need to find some pace fast
Old 05-12-2023, 03:46 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Escobar
yea i agree, Ferrari need to find some pace fast
Unfortunately, current F1 rules strictly limit development during the season. Both Ferrari drivers are good, but they alone can't make more horsepower or downforce to lower lap times. As I understand it, every team is allowed a certain number of development "tokens" during the season, but they are strictly regulated. That means Ferrari (and other teams) cannot find pace easily.

Quick Reply: Formula 1 Follies