Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Formula 1 Follies

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 07:22 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Checked with one of my Las Vegas friends, who said they've been avoiding the strip all week (and into the weekend) due to construction and running of the race. He also mentioned all the other sporting events (football, hockey, etc.) going on at the same time as the GP, so this weekend will be busy.
Was in vegas two weeks ago for SEMA and it was a complete nightmare …

I dont know if Vegas is obligated to host in future years but I suspect they will not return to the strip.

I didnt know this before but asphalt used a dedicated circuits is a different mix than asphalt used on roads / streets / highways…They said that dedicated track asphalt has more rubber in it.

So aside from cold/cooler temps the actual surface is ‘genetically’ different.

Should be fun to watch …
Old 11-16-2023, 08:00 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,307 Likes on 907 Posts

Not so much fun when a Ferrari hits a loose drain frame and tears up the bottom of the car! Damaged the floor, front suspension and possibly the CF chassis itself in free practice #1.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:57 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,293 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
Was in vegas two weeks ago for SEMA and it was a complete nightmare …

I dont know if Vegas is obligated to host in future years but I suspect they will not return to the strip.

I didnt know this before but asphalt used a dedicated circuits is a different mix than asphalt used on roads / streets / highways…They said that dedicated track asphalt has more rubber in it.

So aside from cold/cooler temps the actual surface is ‘genetically’ different.

Should be fun to watch …
Not so much fun when a Ferrari hits a loose drain frame and tears up the bottom of the car! Damaged the floor, front suspension and possibly the CF chassis itself in free practice #1.
Yup, apparently the "track" asphalt is also "smoother" (than standard asphalt streets) due to the stringency of FIA rules for an F1 circuit. So, is this a long term blessing or are street cars going to go skidding down The Strip when it rains post race?

There was a comment on one of the prequel vids about the circuit that noted a set of manhole covers that needed to be welded shut. But it said nothing about the manhole frame. What's messed up for Ferrari is that Sainz got hit with a grid penalty because ScudFerrari had to essentially rebuild the car and the penalty was incurred because of all the "new parts". Talk about adding insult to injury.
Old 11-17-2023, 07:15 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Rather than broadcast the second practice session, ESPN and Sky Sports elected to interview four team principals. Fred Vassuer, the Ferrari head honcho was clearly pissed with the sanctions that the FIA put on rebuilding Sainz's car after the accident with the drain frame that came up. Can't blame him, and it'll be interesting to see how this situation develops as the weekend plays out. Right now, there's a lot of money and effort on the line, and unless there's adjustments, it could really go south.
Old 11-17-2023, 04:15 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Not to get tickytacky / nitpicky, but I believe that was a water valve cover…not a manhole cover … Manhole covers are much bigger 30” to 42” in diamter … and from the photo I saw it did appear to have a locking mechanism installed but it may not have been locked.

I have seen them come out of place before on everyday roads but it is rare.

I highly doubt it wasnt a drainage cover … there is no drainage in this area and you’d never have an open sump like that in a race circuit

all that to say … if it was me, I would have lowered them the 3” or 4” and paved over them …
Old 11-18-2023, 05:27 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Well, the prognostication was pretty close at least on paper with Williams in grid 5 and 6.

Mr. Popularity at 14th.

Piastri (chuckle chuckle) second to last.

But again, what really irks me is that DUE TO A TRACK ISSUE, Sainz is paying the price despite the ScudFerrari cars locking out row 1 on actual quali times! FIA (psh) says "there's no provision in the rules to 'NOT assess a penalty'.". Uhh, hello? Just don't impose the sanction. He needed a new power unit through ZERO FAULT on the team. No, I'm not a big Ferrari fan ("ambivalent" or "agnostic" is more apt) but fair is fair and this ain't. Guess I'm suggesting they turn a blind eye - which isn't right either - but do something like make a quick "emergency" rule change or something and make a proviso for it!!

Disappointments: Ocon not able to match teammate Gasly's times. And Lando not able to acclimate to the track and only slotted 15th?! C'mon! But as Zak Brown said, "Their (McLaren's) cars aren't as competitive on this track." (Or close to that.)

That bears some converse truth as well since it was predicted that the Williams cars are the opposite and should be more competitive (and they were).

So, thus far, with the Ferrari incident not withstanding, seems the circuit isn't as gloom and doom as predicted. Mother Nature and all cooperating. Well see in about 18 hours.

Last edited by MicVelo; 11-18-2023 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:17 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo

So, thus far, with the Ferrari incident not withstanding, seems the circuit isn't as gloom and doom as predicted. Mother Nature and all cooperating. Well see in about 18 hours.
In Las Vegas, we don't have Meteorologists. We have weather guessers. Been forecasting rain this weekend for 2 weeks. Now, zero rain in the forecast all week.
Old 11-18-2023, 06:37 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by i8acobra
In Las Vegas, we don't have Meteorologists. We have weather guessers. Been forecasting rain this weekend for 2 weeks. Now, zero rain in the forecast all week.
Haha, "weather guessers"! But in their defense, the weather here in the SFBay area has been largely "guessed at" for the last week too. They've not been able to say anything definitive at all other than "Wellllll, it IS going rain." The when, where, how much were all guessed at due to "odd atmospheric conditions." No commitment until it actually started raining. Ha!

Friends of mine visiting LV this week relayed to me it was forecasted to rain today/tomorrow. Apparently the same meteorologuessers you mentioned. 🤣
Old 11-18-2023, 09:16 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Haha, "weather guessers"! But in their defense, the weather here in the SFBay area has been largely "guessed at" for the last week too. They've not been able to say anything definitive at all other than "Wellllll, it IS going rain." The when, where, how much were all guessed at due to "odd atmospheric conditions." No commitment until it actually started raining. Ha!

Friends of mine visiting LV this week relayed to me it was forecasted to rain today/tomorrow. Apparently the same meteorologuessers you mentioned. 🤣

That was yesterday's forecast. Mine is from this morning.
Old 11-18-2023, 01:34 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

We have ‘guessers’ here in colorado … the thing is, usually they are correct at some point in the day…maybe in the morning? Maybe in the afternoon? Maybe in the evening … there is a very good chance the high temp will be 80 and the low temp will be 40 …

I think pole position in this race may be the achilles heal and with how unpredictable the track is (likely) going to be, the best place to be may be in the middle or rear. Let everyone wreck their cars and take themselves out of the race …

I know it’s a thing in NASCAR (the dont try to win the race on the first lap) but why do drivers take so many risks and get so bunched up at the early onset of the race / at the first few corners.

Thos chassis have to be $200k to 300k to fabricate/purchase? Plus everything that goes into getting to the race? Risk everything (points and cash) on the first lap?
Old 11-18-2023, 07:32 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by bealljk
We have ‘guessers’ here in colorado … the thing is, usually they are correct at some point in the day…maybe in the morning? Maybe in the afternoon? Maybe in the evening … there is a very good chance the high temp will be 80 and the low temp will be 40 …

I think pole position in this race may be the achilles heal and with how unpredictable the track is (likely) going to be, the best place to be may be in the middle or rear. Let everyone wreck their cars and take themselves out of the race …

I know it’s a thing in NASCAR (the dont try to win the race on the first lap) but why do drivers take so many risks and get so bunched up at the early onset of the race / at the first few corners.

Thos chassis have to be $200k to 300k to fabricate/purchase? Plus everything that goes into getting to the race? Risk everything (points and cash) on the first lap?
There's an old road racing saying, "You can't win the race on the first lap, but you sure can LOSE it.." Having said that, the start offers some tangible benefits for aggressive, but controlled racers. Even making up a few spots can make a huge difference in the overall finish. I know when I'm racing my Z in SCCA racing that brakes are usually a big factor in the early laps, and I usually lean on my Brembos and Cobalt Friction XR2 pads to make passes and push the competition as soon as the green flag drops.
The following users liked this post:
bealljk (11-19-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 02:24 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

There's an old road racing saying, "You can't win the race on the first lap, but you sure can LOSE it.." Having said that, the start offers some tangible benefits for aggressive, but controlled racers. Even making up a few spots can make a huge difference in the overall finish. I know when I'm racing my Z in SCCA racing that brakes are usually a big factor in the early laps, and I usually lean on my Brembos and Cobalt Friction XR2 pads to make passes and push the competition as soon as the green flag drops.
Maybe Lando coulda used some brakes.

Last edited by MicVelo; 11-19-2023 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:52 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Maybe Lando coulda used some brakes.
I dunno, it looked like Lando (and everyone else) needed more traction. He was sideways before he could even reach for the brakes!
Old 11-19-2023, 12:15 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Well, based on post-race commentary by initial naysayers (ahem, Max....), the Vegas race was a relative success. (Well, duh, he won. Laff....)

Yet to see financial figures; likely months out so that they can wash the figures by (or for) the marketing people. "It was an enormous success despite our losing millions of dollars, we (Liberty Media) go great exposure! Never mind the water valve. And.... we're looking forward next year when we get to f**k up the citizenry of Las Vegas whilst re-constructing the track and surrounds."

Now, subjectively (like the above didn't contain any foul opinion?).... I found the coverage to be about as exciting as watching any of the street circuit races - save for Monaco - and that is..... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... just love looking at concrete barriers and catch fencing. Snooozville. Pretty much the same foul opinion I had going in.

However, I do marvel that they even pulled it off with all of the construction and whatnot going into getting the race off the ground. And, while I personally am rather jaded and bored with it, just glad that we're getting some stateside F1 action and exposure and maybe get some of the "new fans" off of the telly and on/into the real racing beyond the slickly edited scenes from the Netflix series. And, admittedly, there was so much skepticism by the press/media going into the weekend that may have overly influenced my opinion or at least reinforced my pre-race assessments, e.g., cold tires, slippery track, "show versus sport" (the "Max viewpoint").

No matter, despite my seemingly hostile opinion towards it, I will continue to record the events; an even if I don't watch F1, will always FOLLOW F1 in much the same way as a baseball fan follows their team(s). Have been a fan of F1 since before I could legally drive and went to my first one (Long Beach) when I was 18 and working for Nissan (nee Datsun). But now, as an old codger, have little patience for the entitlement and big heads in the sport.

All in all though, F1 Vegas this time around, seemed to be so much better than the first time F1 ran in the Caesar's parking lot! Good job
bealljk (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 05:51 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Kudos to Mic for his summary of the 2023 Las Vegas GP. I agree with him on most points, but particularly the summary. The previous attempt to bring the F1 circus to the Caesar's parking lot (I kid you not) was such a poor event that it's probably the WORST race in F! history. The 2023 race was incredible to watch, but not without its own problems. I'm sure there are Liberty Media officials that are just unclenching TODAY after pulling this one off!

Wonder how the deconstruction of the LV circuit itself is going today? Does life return to normal immediately, or does it take a week or more?
bealljk (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 10:05 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

There's an old road racing saying, "You can't win the race on the first lap, but you sure can LOSE it.." Having said that, the start offers some tangible benefits for aggressive, but controlled racers. Even making up a few spots can make a huge difference in the overall finish.
Yea, actually heard a good quote on it that taking the risk to gain that many positions early on in the race is worth it. And I suspect when you factor in that 1/2 the field doesnt score points you automatically put yourself in a zero points position if you do not take those risks. Obviously they do it time after time, so there must be benefit.

there was a picture floating around the interbooks and the instawebs of a picture from a plane / helicopter from maybe 5k ft above the race and it was pretty cool. It reminded me of a video game…

Last edited by bealljk; 11-21-2023 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2023, 05:29 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Mercifully, the 2023 F1 World Championship is over after the final in Abu Dubai. Max took that race win to go along with what can only be called domination of the entire season. RBR also made it a historic 1-2 finish atop the driver's standings with Sergio Perez taking second in points. Lewis Hamilton was third, and doesn't it seem like a long time ago that he was the dominant driver on the planet? Mercedes just edged Ferrari for second in the constructors, and McLaren came from behind to ****** fourth place from Aston Martin F1.

As for 2024, I'm going to go out on a limb and say RBR will be the odds-on favorite to be the team to beat. Sure hope that isn't true and that another team and driver will deliver a challenge to Max and company.
Old 11-26-2023, 06:57 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Mercifully, the 2023 F1 World Championship is over after the final in Abu Dubai. Max took that race win to go along with what can only be called domination of the entire season. RBR also made it a historic 1-2 finish atop the driver's standings with Sergio Perez taking second in points. Lewis Hamilton was third, and doesn't it seem like a long time ago that he was the dominant driver on the planet? Mercedes just edged Ferrari for second in the constructors, and McLaren came from behind to ****** fourth place from Aston Martin F1.

As for 2024, I'm going to go out on a limb and say RBR will be the odds-on favorite to be the team to beat. Sure hope that isn't true and that another team and driver will deliver a challenge to Max and company.
You beat me to it David!

Was gonna say, "It's a wrap to an exciting yet boring season."

C'mon, what else does one say when one driver won 86% of the races, that same one team took 95% of them. Zzzzzzzzzzzz.....

There were, however, flashes of brilliance with the early charge of Aston Martin and the late season challenges by McLaren - in the form of Lando Norris. (Never mind their other driver)

I am incredulous that Ferrari did not take second in the Constructor's contention!! It doesn't seem that the whiners, er, AMG Petronas team were ever that close. And yeah, I make no apologies for calling them whiners. Ever listen to their team radio? "Waaaahhhhhhhh, so and so cut me off!" "Booohoooo, he didn't let me through." And on and on. Ehhhhh, whiners. But apparently pretty boy's one win and King Whine's podiums were enough to overcome the meetings with the walls of Sainz and Charles' harsh luck and unreliability early on.

I found the Abu Dhabi FP sessions interesting for a change. Lots of the new "up and comers" were given some seat time. Of note, Patricio ("Pato") O'Ward from Indycar taking on the reserve driver role for McLaren (as widely speculated) in 2024. Will be excited to see him take PIastri's seat before '25. Heh heh. It's obviously very clear that even after 22 races, I still detest Piastri for his brazen disloyalty to Alpine end of last season. So again, kudos to Lando, rocks to Piastri.

I agree with you David, that next season will be more of the same s'far as the leading teams. I suspect Max/RBR will again be the ones to beat. And I say that after all the "talk" from other teams like AMG-Petronas, and to some degree Ferrari about "the changes in store for next race at ________" that never materialize. I mean, remember when Mercedes brought back the side pods after that ballyhoo over how fast they were going to be without them? And what happened, the side pods came back, Elliott's out and they have no one in the wings to replace him yet. Yeah, yeah, Toto, let's hear some more about how great your team is. And while you're at it, do some more denying that Hamilton was talking to other teams some more. Snort snort, that's laughable if you believe he wasn't. Even a loyal team player as LewHam might be, he's not stupid and going into contract negotiations without having someone else's $$ to help him leverage himself.

I would like to see some of the other drivers shift around or be given more competitive cars. Lando is right up there sniffing around the podium and such, hope next year's McLarens can keep him up there and give Max (and I guess Perez) a real run. Would love to see Alex Albon, Fernando Alonso in more competitive cars too. Sad to say that while Logan Sargeant showed well in Vegas, I think he's a one season wonder as well. But we'll see... they all seem to be returning to the grid for next year so maybe it will be more than the Max Verstappen/RedBull show.

Old 12-02-2023, 03:29 AM
Escobar

Received 154 Likes on 128 Posts

Your not wrong Mic about Mercedes calling them whiners. But to be fair they all complain, especially max. That dude is pissed and screaming on the radio complaining every single race. I think its a requirement to be in F1 lol. Glad the season is over, Im not a max fan at all so it was painfully long. At least we had a good battle with ferrari and merc for p2 in constructors. I really want some competition up front. seeing max win every race by 20 seconds is trash. love or hate lewis with a good car I think hes still one of the best to fight with RBR to keep things interesting. I think checo needs to go and we at least get max a teammate that can battle him like Nico and Lewis in 2016. I want to see him really have competition and have to race, not just cruise out to a 10+ second gap and set it to auto pilot. I think he has matured alot as a driver since his first championship win fighting lewis, I'd like to see a re match of that or with Lando.
Old 12-02-2023, 10:51 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Let's repeat the warning: F1 has become more a media "spectacle" and less a race. It's built to be a money generating machine, and in the process, has lost a little bit of soul. As for Max and RBR? It wasn't long ago that everyone was sick and tired of Lewis and Mercedes taking all the wins and championships. Get ready for more of the same in'24. That's one thing that hasn't changed with F1- once a driver and team find the right solutions for a particular set of regs, they mow everyone down, and stick a hose in the mouth of those who didn't drown!

Quick Reply: Formula 1 Follies