Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

track car dash buttons/switches

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2023, 11:02 AM
Aeneas137

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts
Default track car dash buttons/switches

I'm wiring up a few things into new buttons and switches and was searching around and didn't find any threads about this subject. how have you mounted your buttons and switches? anyone care to share photos? this is usually something just thrown together but it would be nice to install a button panel that looks good. One of my complaints about the 350Z is the sloping dash with a whole lot of space for nothing on the passenger side. what the hell is up with that anyway? what's in all of that empty plastic real estate? surely that heater core is not that big. I think it's like the door panel, it's just ugly. but it's also too far away from the driver's seat to be useful.

The interior is not very friendly to custom mounted plates. I've got two gauges in the pop-up compartment. I was thinking the console might be a good spot for a mounting plate for buttons. just getting started on this. appreciate any advice/photos on what others have done with their track cars. aside from completely ripping out the dash? I'm not ready to pull my car off the market and go off-road yet. and I plan on leaving the dash alone.
Old 07-14-2023, 04:10 AM
Dr Hoon

Received 282 Likes on 222 Posts

Mine is just a cheap panel off Amazon that I repainted and replaced the start button with the camera switch. The next switch now also controls the diff cooler pump.
The following users liked this post:
Aeneas137 (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 07:24 AM
Aeneas137

I want to put a Garmin Catalyst mount in the radio opening, otherwise I would install a switch panel there. The two gauges take up the cubby. I thought of moving them to the A pillar but would rather have everything in the center. maybe the best solution is to put the catalyst elsewhere like above the cubby, bolted to the dash. don't want to use a windshield mount for it.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:30 AM
Dr Hoon

Received 282 Likes on 222 Posts

I'd think radio position would be too low to be able to look at while driving on the track, you'd want it closer to your line of sight. I'm making a track app that show your live performance (lap times, etc.) as well as drivers around you, so you can see how you're doing vs. your track buddies, see where they are on the track and if they are gaining on you or if you are pulling away, etc. In order to test it I mounted a phone mount locked to the vent on the right side of the gauge cluster, that should keep it within my field of view.
Old 07-14-2023, 06:09 PM
Aeneas137

You're right, not a great plan there, but I was thinking that it would work based on just the audio prompting. not necessarily looking at the screen while driving. but yeah the best spot for it would be the cubby. I'll just have to move the two gauges. but at this point the car is stored for the summer. I really hate the heat, I can't take it. I bought an expensive cover and parked it to free up garage space for a while. I wanted to get a few more things done but it's just too damn hot.