Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Trail braking and EBD

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 01:05 PM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trail braking and EBD

This past weekend at VIR-N was my first time on R-compounds, and with this upgrade comes new challenges. Since I am aware that I went pretty wide in the rear (275) and the car will understeer more with this setup, I tried to trail brake into several corners. On some corners I have no problem, but on a few, when I hold the brake as I turn in, I feel the EBD transfer all the force to the front outside wheel. The result is a small skid.

Any ideas on how to manage this issue?
Old 08-06-2004, 08:14 AM
orhanz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry for the newbie question, but what's EBD and how does it work?
Old 08-06-2004, 09:46 AM
John

EBD = electronic brake distribution... the EBD modulator sends more pressure to the wheel that will stop the car the best...
Old 08-20-2004, 10:07 PM
BigRich

I'm assuming there is very little we can do to disable the EBD. I had asked a dealer to find out (and I trust they did) and they said that it is impossible...maybe we can fool it with a different pad setup?!?
Old 08-29-2004, 11:52 PM
Kolia

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tought (hoped) there were 2 levels to disable the electronics ?
Old 09-20-2004, 04:16 AM
shmately

This may be another issue. EBD dose'nt mess with be when I drift and there is no traction at all there. I think the EBD may be help me from spinning when at the limit of countersteer. I pull a red fuse in the engine bay to disable the abs.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:18 PM
StaticCling

John, did you ever get a fix for the EBD-Trailbraking issue?

I noticed it happening big time when I was at Putnam Park (IN) in a fast carousel. I think if I had been smoother and turned in slower it might have gone away. Maybe the car was just trying to tell me to be smoother.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:52 AM
phoenixZ33

Is the EBD a function of the VDC? I've never had an issue like that either on a track or autocross, on R tires. My car has TCS, not VDC. Supposedly there are ways to completely disable VDC.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:21 PM
amolaver

Reading about EBD, it sounds to me like pulling the ABS fuse should kill it - I believe it uses the ABS actuators to accomplish its mission. By killing electrical power to the actuators, EBD should be knocked out of the picture.

Of course, no more relying on the ABS to save your bacon Threshold braking learning curve, here you come...

ahm
Old 11-12-2004, 07:30 PM
03Z33

Once you get used to running without the ABS/VDC fuse it is impossible to go back It is the only way to take your car to the limit on the track. The ABS system will not allow you to trail brake, or threshold brake (especially if you run same size tires all around)

It's unfortunate that such a nice sports car has to disable the ABS/EBD system to be used on track. I have driven many cars that did not have such poor ABS systems (granted many of them are much more expensive).

Just be carefull not to flat spot those expensive slicks
Old 11-23-2004, 09:27 PM
amolaver

Hey John - any update on whether pulling the fuse kills the EBD?

ahm
Old 11-23-2004, 10:28 PM
03Z33

***UPDATE***

Disconecting the Bosch Yaw sensor under the center console (below e-brake) will disable bothe VDC/EBD without disabling the ABS! I have been running this for the past two weeks now and like it much better. I only pull the ABS fuse when on track now and need to be able to lock under brakes (brake drift).
Old 11-24-2004, 04:19 AM
del105
15 f125

Originally posted by 03Z33
***UPDATE***

Disconecting the Bosch Yaw sensor under the center console (below e-brake) will disable bothe VDC/EBD without disabling the ABS! I have been running this for the past two weeks now and like it much better. I only pull the ABS fuse when on track now and need to be able to lock under brakes (brake drift).
What warning lights do you get when you do this?
Old 11-24-2004, 05:00 AM
John

Originally posted by 03Z33
***UPDATE***

Good find! Can you provide us with photos of where it is exactly?

<- thinking of wiring in a switch for it somehow...
Old 11-24-2004, 10:59 AM
03Z33

Originally posted by del105
What warning lights do you get when you do this?
The VDC and Slip warning lights will stay on permanently.

A few others have mentioned adding a switch, but for me this would be pointless since I would never re-activate it...

I don't have a digi-cam but here is a step by step on how to disconnect:

(#2 phillips head screwdriver is the only tool I used)

1. Remove key from ignition

There are 5 screws to remove on the Z (only 4 on the G35C)

2. First two screws are on either side of console towards the rear, it helps to slide both seats all the way forward, and tilted to access these.

3. Next screw is under the ash tray (lift up) (the G35C does not have this one)

4. Next you will need to pull up gently on the shifter boot plastic cover... I do this by sticking my hand in the leather boot and pulling up until it clicks in a few places. (You do not need to remove the shift ****)

5. You should now see the last two screws below holding the center console in place. (Be carefull not to tear the electric ribbon for the heater controls on the Z and there is one electrical plug to unplug on the G35C if you have heated seats).

6. With the center console lifted up over your e-brake handle (pull the brake up high to make it easier to remove the center console) you will see there are two sensors: The one towards the rear is for the airbag (DO NOT DISCONNECT THIS ONE) The one towards the front (directly behind the shifter) is a black sensor with BOSCH sticker. This is the one you should un-plug. The clips for the plug are on either side of the connector. Secure the loose connector to avoid future rattles.

7. Replace center console reverse of removal.

Enjoy the much improved throttle and brake response of your car!

There is a small picture of the sensor on page 99 of the HyperRev Fairlady Z Tuning manual if you have this. It is the bottom insert on the Powerhouse Amuse article. You can purchase this "tuning guide" from many vendors but it is in Japanese.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:20 PM
spdu4ia

so unhooking this sensor and the fuse (someone tell me which one) for ABS will disable almost all computer assisted driving?

would this be only recommended for the track and not the street?

were is the ABS fuse?
Old 11-27-2004, 01:05 AM
03Z33

Originally posted by spdu4ia
so unhooking this sensor and the fuse (someone tell me which one) for ABS will disable almost all computer assisted driving?

would this be only recommended for the track and not the street?

were is the ABS fuse?
ABS fuse is the red 50 square fuse in the fuse compartment by the battery under the hood. This will disable pretty much all computer assist. I drove the car for over 2 years with this fuse pulled.

Disconnecting the Bosch yaw sensor will only cut traction control and VDC. This may be a better option if the ABS does not bother you as it may save your tires from flat-spotting when you lock up the brakes.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:16 AM
Lateapex

On my Enthusiast model, the fuse-box you refer to also has "ignition" (I think) on it, so I haven't tried pulling it... I thought, perhaps, the models without VDC were wired differently and I would be creating another problem if pulled that fuse. No?

Any help is appreciated, as I'm tired of the "state-of-the-art" brake control on my car going into ice-mode, or whatever, 2 out of 3 autocross runs.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:41 AM
03Z33

Originally posted by Lateapex
On my Enthusiast model, the fuse-box you refer to also has "ignition" (I think) on it, so I haven't tried pulling it... I thought, perhaps, the models without VDC were wired differently and I would be creating another problem if pulled that fuse. No?

Any help is appreciated, as I'm tired of the "state-of-the-art" brake control on my car going into ice-mode, or whatever, 2 out of 3 autocross runs.
I should have clarified that the above only applys to 2003-2004 manual 350Z models w/ factory VDC (Track, Touring, Performance models) and G35 Coupe (manual).

I have not had enough time with a base/enthusiast model or automatic to figure it out. I do know that the fuse we remove in the VDC equipped vehicles is not present in the base/enthusiast and auto cars, and the yaw sensor is also missing. Let us know what you can find.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:52 AM
dank311

I have a 05 base model Z, and for some reason i can seem to brake drift...Is this because of the ABS (since we dont have VDC)? I also looked for the ABS fuse and it is attatched to the ign fuse...if i pull the ABS, the igniition will be coming out also...so is there any other way to disable this, or get around all this?
Please help ASAP!
thanks,
Jon

Quick Reply: Trail braking and EBD