Notices
Autocross/Road SCCA Solo II, SCCA Club Racing, Redline Track Events, Speed Trial, Speed Ventures, Grand-Am Cup, JGTC, Procar Australia

Fall 2004 events on both coasts

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 10:10 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts
Default Fall 2004 events on both coasts

Our highly informal Colorado 350Z group has been having track events for the last two years, in our neck of the woods. Now, we're looking to branch out and take in some time trial events on both coasts this fall. Between October 24-29th, the Eastern Motor Racing Association will host events at Watkins Glen and Lime Rock. Then, just before the JGTC event at California Speedway on December 18-19, SpeedVentures will sanction a time trial event on the same circuit on the 17th. Please see our thread on the SW forums for more details:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....661#post985661

Will we see many other Z pilots at these events? Any chance we can hook up as we come through your town this fall? I hope to have a caravan of Z's coming across the U.S. before 2004 comes to a close.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Stack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really hate that we (Triangle Z Club) can't offer an event worth making this kind of trek. While we do run at Virginia Int'l Raceway, we are limited to running it's Full course in the winter (February) and in the spring we only run it's smaller South course.

Our event in Savannah, GA in June is a good time, but the track is hardly worth the effort to drive that far. Our September event this year is also on a very small track (1.1 miles) at VIR's newest circuit, the Patriot course.

Our October 23-24 event would be ideal, but alas, Carolina Motorsports Park, while a very challenging and demanding track (designed by the same guy who did Barber MS Park), it's facilities leave lots to be desired.

About the only things I can offer are a friendly, safe group of enthusiasts to run with, lots of Z cars (along with plenty of others), and of course, our famous southern hospitality :-)

Oh yeah - and price! Most of our events are between $230 and $275 for TWO days of driving (close to three hours of seat time). We also offer a SOLO I spec time-trial as an option.

We co-host our events with one of the oldest motorsports clubs around (the Tar Heel Sports Car Club) to ensure a good pool of qualified and dedicated track junkies to help guide the newcomers and those that simply want to keep learning.

Please keep us in mind for future trips!

www.triangleZclub.com and www.thscc.com

Thanks!!
Stacy King
New Bern, NC
Track Events Coordinator
Triangle Z Club
Old 08-13-2004, 06:09 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Stacy- Thanks for the post and invitation. I'd love to organize a trip to your neck of the woods sometime. But I'm already pretty busy with trips to both coasts this year. Maybe you should consider making the trip up the coast and joining us at the Glen and Lime Rock!

One question for you: as an SCCA racer, I've enjoyed racing at Road Atlanta's 2.2 mile circuit (before they took out the infamous backstaight "Dip"), but always wondered why none of the Z clubs schedule any events there?

I'd also like to sample Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama, but haven't seen any Z clubs there either. Is the weekend rent too pricey?
Old 08-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Stack

Basically, yes, it comes down to price and availability for both tracks. Barber is booked for two years (so I hear) it's just plain tough for a new club to get in the door at Road Atlanta.

With Road Atlanta, there is also a safety factor there with all the walls in close proximity to the track. We like tracks that are as 'open' as possible with the maximum amount of run-off as possible. That's not to say we wouldn't have enough interest to run there - but we would have to adjust our format a little for the increased risk.

Barber is something I think we all want to try - but if I'm not mistaken, it's one of the most expensive tracks to rent in the country.... but talk about a good location huh? Close enough to two of the three biggest Z regions in the country (Southeast, and Texas) that it could probably be done. It would take a few clubs to agree to split the financial risk though.

I'm certainly open to discussions!

thanks for the reply!

-Stacy
Old 08-14-2004, 09:40 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, Barber costs twice as much as VIR. I'm hoping to run with TracQuest there over Thanksgiving weekend, and it's going to be pricey ($650). Then again, it's ~5 hours of track time. This will be my big splurge for the year, as it's ~800 miles from my home, and I'm planning on renting a truck and trailer for the excursion.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:41 PM
Stack

I talked with the guy who runs TracQuest briefly last year - not only do you get lots of seat time, I think the fee includes lots of extras too - I know he does a huge banquet the saturday night of the event. He was supposed to do an event at VIR over July 4th, but I think he had to cancel it.