Notices

Step-By-Step Instructions:Removing Rear Brake Light / Access To Turn Signal

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:05 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts
Default Step-By-Step Instructions:Removing Rear Brake Light / Access To Turn Signal

I thought I'd create this thread for all those that need pictures describing how to remove the rear brake lights and gain access to the rear turn signals. (Please note these instructions will only give you access to the turn signal bulbs, you will not be able to remove the entire turn signal. The entire bumper has to be removed in order to remove the entire turn signal.)
This past weekend I had to re-seat the turn signal after it was popped out of place by someone backing into my car. With the help of some forum members I was able to get some good pointers on where to start. Mods feel free to make this a sticky if it hasn't already been done.

P.S. Thanks Reptile 718 & Wired 24/7
Originally Posted by reptile718
You must remove the three round plastic tabs that are located on top of each tail light (flathead screwdriver). Note: These are only viewable when the hatch is open.
The 3 screws are removed with a 10mm socket.
Attached Thumbnails Step-By-Step Instructions:Removing Rear Brake Light / Access To Turn Signal-imgp0610.jpg   Step-By-Step Instructions:Removing Rear Brake Light / Access To Turn Signal-imgp0614.jpg   Step-By-Step Instructions:Removing Rear Brake Light / Access To Turn Signal-imgp0616.jpg  

Last edited by VO...; 02-27-2006 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:13 AM
VO...
Administrator

Next step is to remove the rear brake light assemble.

You must be carefully when removing the tail light, there are two tabs located inside the light which hold it locked in place. Once you have removed the bolts under the plastic tabs push the light out to the side to pop the tabs out of place, if you move upward you will end up breaking the plastic tabs.
Stick your finger in the corner(refer to picture) to loosen up the assemble from the frame, but don't lift the entire assemble up. You'll have to slide the assemble out sideways. I've enclosed some pictures that show the little plastic tabs that will break if you lift up on the assemble too hard, instead of sliding it out sideways.(Note: the tabs slide into the little plastic grommets)
After the brake light assembly is removed, you can disconnect the bulb assemblies.
Originally Posted by wired 24/7
Just an FYI, when you are removing your rear turn signal bulbs, all the wiring harnesses work the same way. (You can practice on the brake light harness). About 1/4 turn gets them loose, then you can pull the harness + bulb right out.
Attached Thumbnails Step-By-Step Instructions:Removing Rear Brake Light / Access To Turn Signal-imgp0617.jpg   Step-By-Step Instructions:Removing Rear Brake Light / Access To Turn Signal-imgp0633.jpg   Step-By-Step Instructions:Removing Rear Brake Light / Access To Turn Signal-imgp0634.jpg   Step-By-Step Instructions:Removing Rear Brake Light / Access To Turn Signal-imgp0622.jpg  

Last edited by VO...; 02-27-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:20 AM
VO...
Administrator

With the brake light assembly removed you can look down behind the turn signal assembly. This will give you access to the turn signal bulbs. (Note: the turn signal harness has the little green wire.)

Originally Posted by wired 24/7
BE CAREFUL PULLING THE TURN SIGNAL HARNESSES OUT. Some aftermarket turn signal bulbs do NOT have the best fitment ever. The "all-glass" style bulb (stock) fits much better than the aftermarket "glass + plastic base" type. I accidentally dropped an aftermarket bulb inside the turn signal housing before...
I put my silver bulbs in last week and I agree, not the best figment, you have to really push them in and wait for a click before putting them into the housing, I realized this after having already doing the first front light now it is loose and will hyper blink every once in a while
Attached Thumbnails Step-By-Step Instructions:Removing Rear Brake Light / Access To Turn Signal-imgp0627.jpg   Step-By-Step Instructions:Removing Rear Brake Light / Access To Turn Signal-imgp0628.jpg  

Last edited by VO...; 02-27-2006 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:21 AM
abstrakt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did this yesterday and broke both the clips at the top of the tail lights...LOL...They fit fine though once I but the hex-head screws back in
Old 02-27-2006, 10:23 AM
GQ 350z

Guys, I accidentally dropped one of my turn signal bulbs into the assembly and can't get that POS out of there..any ideas? I was thinkign when I go to the body shop they can pull it out or something.

ravi
Old 02-27-2006, 10:27 AM
abstrakt

Originally Posted by GQ 350z
Guys, I accidentally dropped one of my turn signal bulbs into the assembly and can't get that POS out of there..any ideas? I was thinkign when I go to the body shop they can pull it out or something.

ravi
Damn, that sucks...If you can't shake it out, then maybe you can use grabbers (we have them at work to grab screws and stuff when we drop them in hard to reach places). It's basically a skinny stick w/a set of 'fingers' at the end. Only other thing I can think of is to bake the light assembly to take it apart, but that might cause the bulb to melt...which would be a bad thing

***Sorry dude, was looking on mcmaster-carr.com to find the exact name of the 'grabbers' but couldn't find them

Last edited by abstrakt; 02-27-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Sk8fe

How do the backup/turn signal lens secure to the bumper?

I got my Z used in January and noticed that the left hand side backup/turn signal lens was "pushed in" (see first attached pic). It is finally getting a littler warmer out so I decided to try to tackle this on my own since the dealership service department said that they would need the car the entire day. I figured out how to remove the brake light lens (took me a while, next time I will search here first!), but luckily I did what was described here and didn't break any clips.

I reach my hand down in there and try to push the backup/turn signal lens into the bumper to try to secure it (so it would look like the second pic), but it doesn't want to "click" in or anything and I can just push it in with my finger and end up back where I started (with pic 1).

Any helpful tips on how to secure the backup/turn signal lens to the bumper would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Step-By-Step Instructions:Removing Rear Brake Light / Access To Turn Signal-imga0200.jpg   Step-By-Step Instructions:Removing Rear Brake Light / Access To Turn Signal-imga0201.jpg  
Old 04-06-2006, 02:10 AM
abstrakt

I had the same problem and so I took a small piece of cardboard and wedged it in btw the clip and the bumper...Hope that makes some sense
Old 04-06-2006, 02:52 AM
Sk8fe

I ended up doing something similar, but if that doesn't hold then I'll try your suggestion. Is something (a clip I can't see) broken on my lens that getting a new one would secure it tightly to my bumper? Is that the only way the lenses are secured to the bumper? It is hard to see in there and I don't have a service manual so I don't know if there is a plastic bracket or something else that is broken that would hold the lens to the bumper. I had my mechanic look under the car and there are no signs of the car being hit in the rear, so I'm thinking that the previous owner "tapped" something when backing up (2 or 3 mph) and popped the lens and pushed it in.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2006, 03:03 AM
abstrakt

If you look at it from above you should be able to see a plastic clear tab thats part of the lense itself sitting on top of the part of the bumper that comes in. This tab sits on top of the bumper but for whatever reason doesn't sit tightly anymore. The cardboard or anything else you can get in there to secure it should do the trick. I think there are a lot of owners who have had this issue...so I don't think its from being hit
Old 04-06-2006, 03:22 AM
Sk8fe

OK. Thanks!
Old 08-05-2006, 04:34 PM
three50zzz

i just bought depo led tail lights and just installed them but, my running lights dont work can someone help me
Old 11-28-2006, 03:45 PM
knucklez

Do i have to remove the tail lights if i were to remove the rear bumper?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:11 PM
abstrakt

Originally Posted by knucklez
Do i have to remove the tail lights if i were to remove the rear bumper?
yes, if you want to remove the rear bumper then you have to take the taillights out 1st
Old 12-26-2006, 03:07 AM
ZLadie2000
Banned

Originally Posted by Sk8fe
How do the backup/turn signal lens secure to the bumper?

I got my Z used in January and noticed that the left hand side backup/turn signal lens was "pushed in" (see first attached pic). It is finally getting a littler warmer out so I decided to try to tackle this on my own since the dealership service department said that they would need the car the entire day. I figured out how to remove the brake light lens (took me a while, next time I will search here first!), but luckily I did what was described here and didn't break any clips.

I reach my hand down in there and try to push the backup/turn signal lens into the bumper to try to secure it (so it would look like the second pic), but it doesn't want to "click" in or anything and I can just push it in with my finger and end up back where I started (with pic 1).

Any helpful tips on how to secure the backup/turn signal lens to the bumper would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

I currently have this problem too. What worked for you?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:57 AM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000
PM your #. I will tell you how to fix it. It's too difficult to type out the procedure.

Val
Old 12-27-2006, 09:30 AM
Sk8fe

Originally Posted by ZLadie2000
PM sent. If you need more detailed/specific steps let me know.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:44 PM
VO...
Administrator

Originally Posted by Sk8fe
PM sent. If you need more detailed/specific steps let me know.
Thnx. I didn't feel like typing it out
Old 04-30-2007, 01:43 PM
imonlykidden

Great DIY info.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:30 AM
darbyhouse

Originally Posted by abstrakt
If you look at it from above you should be able to see a plastic clear tab thats part of the lense itself sitting on top of the part of the bumper that comes in. This tab sits on top of the bumper but for whatever reason doesn't sit tightly anymore. The cardboard or anything else you can get in there to secure it should do the trick. I think there are a lot of owners who have had this issue...so I don't think its from being hit

I had the same problem a few days ago...someone backed into the driver side corner of the bumper (no idea who...SOB) and small crack in bumper now appears () and broke one of the two mounting clips of the on the light assembly from the bumper.

I took the brake light assemply off, cut a standard bath towel in half, rolled it up tightly, stuffed it in there between the signal assembly and the car body...voila. Assembly is now very secure.

I hate having to do half-assed fixes like that, but will have to do until I can get the entire bumper replaced.

If you are looking for information on how to remove the entire bumper, check this thread:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....+reverse+light <<<----- EXCELLENT POST BTW.

I got to Step #3 (what a biotch) before realizing I could simply work through the opening created when removing the tail light.

Last edited by darbyhouse; 06-17-2007 at 05:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Step-By-Step Instructions:Removing Rear Brake Light / Access To Turn Signal