Notices

Cut in convertible fabric repair method??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2024, 08:59 PM
Mick Loomes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut in convertible fabric repair method??

Convertible split in fabric

Convertible split in fabric
My convertible 350z has a one inch cut/split just below and to the side of the rear window where it folds and creases when the hood is stowed…..might also rub slightly on a metal part under there??
I think I can repair it by gluing a patch of similar fabric under the split taking care not to let any glue extrude out from the cut. What I need to know is what glue to use for best flexible adhesion to both surfaces and if there are any tricks to follow?
I am in Australia so glue brands may not be over here?? But I have acces to Sikaflex and other products.
cheers Mick
Old 02-13-2024, 04:20 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

That's a common spot for a tear to develop based on the metal underneath that rubs it and also where it folds.

Any type of glue or tape is going to be a temporary fix and not hold up. Your best bet would be to use some type of marine-grade sealant, but that will degrade over time and probably only last a couple up/down cycles.

The best thing to do would be replace the top. The OEM vinyl is weak. There are aftermarket options out there that use a more durable canvas material like Robbins/Haartz Stayfast cloth.
Old 02-13-2024, 01:08 PM
Mick Loomes

Thanks for that quick reply, I have just found the other threads and see what a common problem it is. I was going to trade up to a 370 soon but wouldn’t like to try to sell the car with a temporary repair so a new top might be best so will check out prices here…..more likely to be 2 or 3 times US prices I suspect?? I might try the marine glue/tape angle also as it is obviously much cheaper. Will add to this later with results..
cheers, Mick
Old 02-14-2024, 02:55 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,062 Likes on 750 Posts

The Robbins Stay fast cloth is probably the best as far as longevity and quality. As a result, it's one of the more expensive options.

If you're about to sell it soon, you can get a cheaper OEM vinyl quality top and save some money by doing it yourself. It's not a bad job. Just take your time.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:29 PM
Mick Loomes

I tested three glues on the patch fabric to work out which was best and settled on “Sikaflex-111 stick and seal”as the best .
I removed the pop riveted holding strip and had the hood about vertical to give the best access to my hands…but it was still awkward and restricted. Spread the Sikaflex on the parch and then tried to slide it in place but that was difficult and black sticky glue smears were inevitable. I put a 1mm thick steel plate over the patch and then some kitchen cling film and a 3 inch diameter magnet over the split in the hood so to clamp the patch to the hood….that worked ok. After a day I removed the magnet and refined the fabric to the frame and closed the hood to return the right tension to the fabric. The split was sealed but is still visible but no worse than before. I am a bit reluctant now to lower the hood in case it all comes apart but at least it is waterproof and hopefully the split will not grow.
a new hood will cost about $3500 Aussie dollars to have installed by a professional fitter…..I do not think I would try this myself, so I hope it works for a while. With the car only worth about $12000 (with a good hood ) it might not be worth spending $3500 unless I intend keeping it for a while and pulling the roof down regularly.
i will follow up later if/when I put the roof down. Cheers, Mick

Old 03-14-2024, 05:14 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Throw a little black rtv over it