Notices

Daytime running lights

Old 04-12-2019, 12:12 PM
  #1  
cpcars
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: chilliwack
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Daytime running lights

Looking for advice on installing DRLs in my 2003 Fairlady. I don't want to start pulling apart the headlights and patching wires through them, if possible. Just looking for the simplest solution. I read that the switchback LEDs that fit into the existing side reflector spots look the best. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this "Canadian requirement"?
cpcars is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 12:36 PM
  #2  
travlee
Master
iTrader: (8)
 
travlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 37,580
Liked 5,894 Times in 4,059 Posts
Default

1. its not a fairlady, its a 350z

2.just leave well enough alone, or upgrade to the 06+ headlights
travlee is online now  
Old 04-12-2019, 01:02 PM
  #3  
cpcars
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: chilliwack
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

It is a Fairlady...just arrived from Japan last week, RHD, etc.
cpcars is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 01:43 PM
  #4  
travlee
Master
iTrader: (8)
 
travlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 37,580
Liked 5,894 Times in 4,059 Posts
Default

i stand corrected.. congrats to you.
travlee is online now  
Old 04-12-2019, 02:09 PM
  #5  
Heel Til I Die
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 766
Liked 173 Times in 124 Posts
Default

There is this: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/350Z-Bumper...s-p/70-716.htm

I don't like them because I think they stick out too much, but hey... it's your car.

Or these: https://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/350z04d

Or you can try DIY: https://my350z.com/forum/body-interi...e-markers.html

If you buy a different set, just make sure you get them for the 03-05 front bumper as it slightly changed for the 06-09
Heel Til I Die is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 07:42 PM
  #6  
cpcars
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: chilliwack
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I went to a local auto electric place this afternoon. They said, "no problem" turning my existing headlights into DRLs. Something about adding a relay and that will turn my low beams on whenever the ignition is on. Quoted about $150. It's a Canadian thing and has to be done. In case you ever import from Japan, most headlights and tires will have to be replaced as they are not DOT standard.
cpcars is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 03:53 PM
  #7  
Heel Til I Die
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 766
Liked 173 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cpcars View Post
I went to a local auto electric place this afternoon. They said, "no problem" turning my existing headlights into DRLs. Something about adding a relay and that will turn my low beams on whenever the ignition is on. Quoted about $150. It's a Canadian thing and has to be done. In case you ever import from Japan, most headlights and tires will have to be replaced as they are not DOT standard.
$150?!?

A relay costs less than $10 and you can wire it yourself.
Heel Til I Die is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 04:35 PM
  #8  
cpcars
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: chilliwack
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

That $150 is for the labour and parts. Without having any experience with auto electrics, I'm happy to pay that to have an expert do it.
cpcars is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 06:20 AM
  #9  
Heel Til I Die
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 766
Liked 173 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cpcars View Post
Looking for advice on installing DRLs in my 2003 Fairlady. I don't want to start pulling apart the headlights and patching wires through them, if possible. Just looking for the simplest solution. I read that the switchback LEDs that fit into the existing side reflector spots look the best. Can anyone point me in the right direction on this "Canadian requirement"?
Originally Posted by cpcars View Post
That $150 is for the labour and parts. Without having any experience with auto electrics, I'm happy to pay that to have an expert do it.
Well... this thread was useful.
Heel Til I Die is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
gregom
Exterior & Interior
12
04-10-2008 10:21 PM
LifeIsRisky
Exterior & Interior
2
06-10-2007 08:15 AM
sheck4
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
4
12-11-2006 03:31 PM
SuperRobin
Exterior & Interior
5
05-14-2004 08:08 PM
MontyBurns
Exterior & Interior
4
04-03-2004 02:10 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daytime running lights


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: