Notices

DIY Assemble your own Big Brake Kits: Caliper Brackets (Custom)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 01:25 PM
wong hun xun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck in your endeavor.. and you might know I actually am a rocket scientist.. Aerospace engineer at your service

Yes, you can buy the low end of all the parts and probably hit that number you are presenting.. I would however rather spend a few extra bucks and get forged / billet calipers.

I had absolutely no intentions of killing this project and this was absolutely not a forum battle. I actually hope you succeed. My original intention was to help this succeed and in my personal research i found a quality kit was not doable for the price you are shooting for. I have read on many forums where people attempt just this and in the end they always ended up dropping the project in favor of somthing that i found out.. I changed the group buy to my forum because it would be killed here for non-paying vendors.. Also here you have to be a premier member to get in on group buys now

i will not post anymore here.. sorry if i stepped on your toes.

Last edited by wong hun xun; 03-07-2006 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:35 PM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I value what Josh has to contribute. I know for a fact he had no ill intentions.

All I care about is getting a good brake kit at a good price. If that means a GB will cost slightly more than putting the parts together myself, I'm all for that.

Today is the closest this thread has moved toward a possible solution in several weeks.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:42 PM
buzzardmountain

Originally Posted by blasian
For $1300 or so, I would probably just get the Arizona Z kit...
Isn't the Arizona kit 13" rotor in front and like 12" in the rear, and the price is more like $1,400
Old 03-07-2006, 01:44 PM
wong hun xun

You are right.. you can get 125$ calipers.. they will be smaller than the OEM brembos. If I am doing BBK i want Bigger calipers. 4 piston does not equal bigger. Go to Summit Racing and search for wilwood, then drill down through calipers and filter out what you like.. you will find prices ranging from 120-430$ for a single 4 piston caliper. This will vary by size, dimensions, material, finish, etc..
Old 03-07-2006, 01:57 PM
wong hun xun

Arizona = 13" 6 piston front for $1400

you lose your parking brake for the rears

Last edited by wong hun xun; 03-07-2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:07 PM
buzzardmountain

Originally Posted by wong hun xun
Arizona = 13" 6 piston front for $1400

you lose your parking brake for the rears
That's not an option for me then.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:56 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buzzardmountain
Isn't the Arizona kit 13" rotor in front and like 12" in the rear, and the price is more like $1,400
Yes the front is $1400.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:31 AM
gringott

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

thread moved to -tech

This is where I had the problem with toykilla. Is it only me who has a problem with someone, on a months old thread, to post for the first time and state the thread has moved to his forum? A simple statement that he is hosting a group buy, I have no problem. Taking over the thread on the first day of posting, claiming to move the thread to another forum that he personally runs (I am a member there too - but I rarely visit as it is dead as a doornail), and posting on his forum that the DIY thread here is a failure as his thread title - am I the only one who offended by this arrogance?

The ArizonaZcar kit has been discussed much here, it is $1395 for 6 pot 13 inch rotors for the front. Correct me if I am wrong, but Precision, according to toykilla, is slightly less, if numerous people get in on the group buy. Of course, it does have an inch larger rotor, but it has a cheaper (4 pot) caliper so it is not apples to apples. Hovever, for $100 more than the best price Precision 4 pot kit, you can have a ArizonaZcar 6 pot kit.

I personally have not seen anyone try this before, doing a DIY kit, but the kit builders have brought us to this due to the extreme prices. I understand $4K for a 4 wheel BBK for a real racecar, but none of us that drive only on the street will ever see the benefit of such a kit. If I wanted only the best and money was no object, I would buy the best kit I could find. But money is an object, I only need slightly enhanced performance, and the difference between $850 and $1400 ($550) is significant to me. I can buy better tires with that money saved over what I could afford if I paid more for the brakes. And those better tires will most likely have a more performance enhancing effect on my braking than the better brake kit.

But this was all discussed before. Other kits, prices, options, what is out there now, has been discussed to death. Brackets to put together off the shelf parts is what this thread was about. Duplicating a kit that is already out there.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:54 AM
wong hun xun

Originally Posted by gringott
This is where I had the problem with toykilla. Is it only me who has a problem with someone, on a months old thread, to post for the first time and state the thread has moved to his forum? A simple statement that he is hosting a group buy, I have no problem. Taking over the thread on the first day of posting, claiming to move the thread to another forum that he personally runs (I am a member there too - but I rarely visit as it is dead as a doornail), and posting on his forum that the DIY thread here is a failure as his thread title - am I the only one who offended by this arrogance?

The ArizonaZcar kit has been discussed much here, it is $1395 for 6 pot 13 inch rotors for the front. Correct me if I am wrong, but Precision, according to toykilla, is slightly less, if numerous people get in on the group buy. Of course, it does have an inch larger rotor, but it has a cheaper (4 pot) caliper so it is not apples to apples. Hovever, for $100 more than the best price Precision 4 pot kit, you can have a ArizonaZcar 6 pot kit.

I personally have not seen anyone try this before, doing a DIY kit, but the kit builders have brought us to this due to the extreme prices. I understand $4K for a 4 wheel BBK for a real racecar, but none of us that drive only on the street will ever see the benefit of such a kit. If I wanted only the best and money was no object, I would buy the best kit I could find. But money is an object, I only need slightly enhanced performance, and the difference between $850 and $1400 ($550) is significant to me. I can buy better tires with that money saved over what I could afford if I paid more for the brakes. And those better tires will most likely have a more performance enhancing effect on my braking than the better brake kit.

But this was all discussed before. Other kits, prices, options, what is out there now, has been discussed to death. Brackets to put together off the shelf parts is what this thread was about. Duplicating a kit that is already out there.
Maybe I should have been more clear about my intentions, but you should not have jumped down my throat like you did. When I found that a group buy would be cheaper than the parts list I compiled I went ahead with the group buy. However, this site would shut it down right away, thus i posted it on my site (anyone that has been here for any length of time knows how this place is run). If I went forward with it further here, the thread would be locked, and i would be banned..

You cant just compare 4 pot to 6 pot. There are many more factors involved in choosing the caliper..

# pistons
piston sizes
overall length
rotor thickness
forged?

Obviously if you skimp on all of these areas your brake performance will suffer. When I priced things I picked "middle of the road" components. I dont want the cheapest crap on my car, but dont need the most expensive either.

All this being said, I hope this project is successful and that I am wrong about my pricing.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:14 AM
gringott

Maybe I should have been more clear about my intentions, but you should not have jumped down my throat like you did. When I found that a group buy would be cheaper than the parts list I compiled I went ahead with the group buy. However, this site would shut it down right away, thus i posted it on my site (anyone that has been here for any length of time knows how this place is run). If I went forward with it further here, the thread would be locked, and i would be banned..

You cant just compare 4 pot to 6 pot. There are many more factors involved in choosing the caliper..

# pistons
piston sizes
overall length
rotor thickness
forged?

Obviously if you skimp on all of these areas your brake performance will suffer. When I priced things I picked "middle of the road" components. I dont want the cheapest crap on my car, but dont need the most expensive either.

All this being said, I hope this project is successful and that I am wrong about my pricing.
Sorry for jumping down your throat. Perhaps review what you posted and how you posted. I mean in the arrogance of the posts. It was extremely off-putting to me, and caused me to dislike you immediatly. I really don't want to get into a debate with you or a flame war, and I am sorry for jumping on you so quickly.

As for your point, I am quoting prices for the SAME componets that are in the kit you are promoting the group buy for. Bottom line. So in that case, it is apples to apples. The arizonaZcar kit, however, is a different story, I do not know exactly what componets are used.

Good luck with your group buy.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:30 AM
wong hun xun

Originally Posted by gringott
Sorry for jumping down your throat. Perhaps review what you posted and how you posted. I mean in the arrogance of the posts. It was extremely off-putting to me, and caused me to dislike you immediatly. I really don't want to get into a debate with you or a flame war, and I am sorry for jumping on you so quickly.

As for your point, I am quoting prices for the SAME componets that are in the kit you are promoting the group buy for. Bottom line. So in that case, it is apples to apples. The arizonaZcar kit, however, is a different story, I do not know exactly what componets are used.

Good luck with your group buy.
Its not my group buy.. I am not even in a position to buy brakes right now due to other circumstances.. This was all done in an effor to help Z owners..
Old 03-21-2006, 05:56 AM
buzzardmountain

Anything going on???????
Old 03-21-2006, 06:17 AM
myG35zx

Woops sorry for the lack of updates. I was out of town lst week when the batch arrived. Engineering did not like the way they appeared and the tapped holes were off. They sent them back and we should have another batch in a couple days. We are also using 6061 T6 now.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:31 AM
myG35zx

I'm sorry for confusing everybody. I'll recap for my own sake as my staff just "set me straight":

I originally asked for 7075 T7 anodized. We were quoted 6061 T6 material. When they caught the mistake, we found out the T7 material is not typically in 1/2" thickness. In the meantime, the vendor made the brackets with the T6 - which were not to the full specifications (out of tolerance). We have since requested the brackets be made in the T6 and to the spec's. As this is a "pet" project of mine and not the company's it is placed on the back burner behind pressing matters, like making money.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:43 PM
Soundeffects

I'm in, so waiting for this to go through..anyone know where we can obtain rotors from?
Old 04-06-2006, 12:25 PM
inferno2469

is this DEFINITAVLY a dead thread? there seemed like a lot of interest but no viable results for decent pricing?
Old 04-06-2006, 02:22 PM
gringott

I am waiting for the brackets to be complete. Since I am at 59K miles on my OEM pads, I threw a set of ceramics on to hold me until this comes together.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:30 PM
myG35zx

No. It is not dead. Like I have said this is a project for me perosnally and I put the company's business in front. I am traveling this week. But on monday I will check on the status. Fringers are crossed.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:35 AM
myG35zx

Parts will be back from the anodizer on Wednesday. I can accept visa and MC - through the company. This should make everything faster and much easier for me.
Please make a list.

Name: # of sets (1pr/set)
Old 04-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Soundeffects

1 set... front right?

What about the rear?

Quick Reply: DIY Assemble your own Big Brake Kits: Caliper Brackets (Custom)